The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

16 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Hopefully he becomes the gritty 3rd liner we are all hoping for.

I will settle for that gritty 4th liner he is developing into. Peters likes him for a reason.

27 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I will settle for that gritty 4th liner he is developing into. Peters likes him for a reason.

Nothing wrong with that as long as a he is capable of playing a gritty and responsible two-way game.

Top, I truly like what you bring with these theories. Keep em coming. And, who knows, you could be right on. I'm sure that Francis wasn't thrilled about PDG's delay in signing. Of course, I'm speculating too, but PDG and McGinn were drafted in the same round, the same year. PDG went 8th and McGinn 17th in the second round. The are hooked at the hip in a lot of ways.

PDG had 77 NHL games and .31 ppg -12,

McGinn has 73 NHL games, .26 ppg and -24.

PDG has the better stat line, and got the jump early, but McGinn has won lately. But both guys are marginal players.

McGinn had more games last year (52-36) and while PDG was the more favored two years ago, McGinn has the edge now. My take is that the team was not going to go one-way with both of these average players, and McGinn has had the inside track for a while now.

PDG probably saw the writing on the wall, especially with the bolus of talent working its way up behind him for spots on an already young team. He has now shown he could not beat out Kuokanen or Necas who are teenagers. I really don't blame him for trying to find a one way. In the end it was just a minor aggravation for Francis, who must have seen where PDG was coming from, at least a little. And I'd argue PDG may have just proven himself right about needing to try for that one way. He's back down and it will be harder and harder for him to beat out the Zykov's, Wallmarks, Kuok's', Saarelas, Gauthiers, Roys, Foegeles etc, let alone Jooris's.

The team really made it's choice when it handed the one way to McGinn. PDG saw this and tried to make a move. He failed, but now his two way is a part of why he's being sent down, so he was kind of right. Of course, his play was just not good enough to overcome it, but the bar is higher if you have a two way.

McGinn seems to be carving out the role of gritty, hitting 4th liner with some 3rd line upside skill. PDG's stock is in serious trouble.

For some reason, maybe the fact that he has the Italian sounding name(I know, I know, but that's the way I choose wine, by the label), but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Di Giuseppe. And I concur with several that early on when he 1st was brought in, he seemed on fire? Not sure why his play seemed to nose dive, injury effects or whatever, but McGinn has obviously surpassed. Oh well, I bombed out on another. At least I have not purchased his jersey in an attempt to recognize a "hidden gem".

Check out the GDT sign up area. http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/forum/123-gameday/

Games are going fast. First available game is already Oct 19 vs. Calgary. Anyone want that one?

I'll just put a few of these reminders in here from time to time.

Don't have to be long. Don't have to be technically spectacular. Just nice to have different approaches.

Should be a fun year to do them and with chat gone, should be even more people reading the GDT.

I'm happy to help anyone, especially if it's your first one.

With DiGi I think if Peters felt he was a better option he would of stuck now. The thing is IMO DiGi isn't a fourth liner. He is a scorer and has to be able to earn at least a third line spot. His problem is he hasn't been able to translate his game into a consistent NHL scoring role. With other (better) options developing he will need to have a good start in Charlotte if he is to have a chance in the future. I wouldn't write him off yet but at the same time his window of opportunity with us appear to be closing.

15 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So I might still have a DiGi sweater?

I'm sure the Checkers have some on sale!

42 minutes ago, OBXer said:

His problem is he hasn't been able to translate his game into a consistent NHL scoring role.

Exactly. McGinn could become a top niner, but I think the org's eyes, PDG was ticketed for it, and disappointed people, after arguably getting his shot: a season's worth of games, and a QO despite what by any measure is a crummy year. If he's getting into the top nine, it's hard to imagine it happening here. Then again, this org gave us Chad LaRose...

More from Peters via Chip

55 seconds ago

Peters says Stempniak out 10 days to two weeks before can play.

Does this mean we only need to cut one player to get to 23? Does he get put on IR right away? I don't know.

Peters says he anticipates Darling starting opener.

I'm shocked!!!!! ;)

6 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

The waiver wire is a heck of a wake up call to show players where they really stand

And clearing the waiver wire even more so.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Francis said Stempniak injury started in groin, then to hip and back. Going on IR will give him time to "let everything calm down."

Happened to me last week.:lol:

Just now, RyazanCaniac said:

Well... I guess sending Bean back to the Hitmen is no surprise, but does anyone here prefer him over Dahlbeck?

Not me. It's been pretty clear he's not ready.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Well... I guess sending Bean back to the Hitmen is no surprise, but does anyone here prefer him over Dahlbeck?

No. Dahlbeck has more experience. Fleury has the ice. Peters said we didn;t have the ice time for Bean so send him back and get the playing time. He has a bright future but his future is well still in the future.

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not me. It's been pretty clear he's not ready.

Thanks, Top.

I just wonder what's the point of keeping him on the team 'till the last moment, then.

Just now, RyazanCaniac said:

I just wonder what's the point of keeping him on the team 'till the last moment, then

He gets to play with the big boys, he gets to see what it takes and he gets to know he is that close to making the leap.

• Like 1