The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

At this point, I don’t think just going out and getting one scorer is going to help, I’m thinking 2-3 given our ineptitude 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

At this point, I don’t think just going out and getting one scorer is going to help, I’m thinking 2-3 given our ineptitude 

I've thought this for a while now.  I think we have 1 first line player on our team and he never plays on the 1st line.

Just once I'd love to see this team have a guy that scores a goal or two every week for the entire season.  ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

How many years now of slumping goal scorers? I mean even Skinner is hot for 10 than cold for 10.  At least we know he will get hot several times throughout the year.  TT and Aho are back to producing nothing.  Lindholm forget it, Rask forget it, Jordan is hot than cold.  It's been like this for so long.  Nobody can stay hot for more than 5 game stretches.  Weird man.

50 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yep. The one question I pose for all who are calling for BP's head, and not sure that's beyond question at this point, but should he be replaced, are you willing to undergo another "make over" for as long as it would take to instill a different "identity"? I'm just not sure that I can go thru 2-3 more years of wishful thinking up to Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays, then waiting for some miraculous fateful pick in the draft that has never happened.

Unfortunately the long haul hasn't worked to date. I'm willing to suffer more pain if a new owner can identify the root cause of the failure.I'm not one who is calling for BP's head but it could be part of the problem. The same goes for Francis and the product on the ice. My number one priority is to get a new owner in very quickly to access the failure points. If he can identify the need and he can correct it I'm all in for additional pain for a short period of time. The existing plan isn't working and I can't handle more years of status quo.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I've always thought we are 2 forwards short. A first line center and a high end forward who scores with regularity

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Unfortunately the long haul hasn't worked to date. I'm willing to suffer more pain if a new owner can identify the root cause of the failure.I'm not one who is calling for BP's head but it could be part of the problem. The same goes for Francis and the product on the ice. My number one priority is to get a new owner in very quickly to access the failure points. If he can identify the need and he can correct it I'm all in for additional pain for a short period of time. The existing plan isn't working and I can't handle more years of status quo.

We took the pace of Mo  ( in playoffs one year, not in the next ) and replaced him with a coach who could motivate a team and were making progress to becoming a consistent playoff team. Plenty of coaches out there who probably work the same magic. I don't think it will take another 4+ year project.

Edited by winger52

15 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Define "short period". And with respect to getting "a new owner in quickly", could we take heart that an Owner's Meeting is coming up shortly, and could we be so fortunate as to hope that a certain sale is announced? BTW, I don't mean to imply that I am against a short period to suffer thru, just unsure of that "period

I think that a top line center would change a lot. (Of course still have to figure out how to get one. But it would help alot).

We have decent talent on the wings, and while our young D and new goalie are still working things out, being #27 in the league in goals/GP is actual regression from last year.  Last year's team finished #20 in goals for.  It was clearly identified that there were two major problems that needed to be fixed, and goal scoring was one of them. Not only not fixed, but worse.

A top line center not only would replace our #9 point producer (or #3 center production, same thing in this case), but would settle all the lines down. Some here have rightly pointed out that it's not as simple as just subtracting Rask's points from a top line centers and adding that to our goals for. But in this case, it would actually be better than that since we have talented wingers.

The current just under center mass median 1C is Tyler Seguin at #17 in points per game for centers with at least 20 games. This is just for illustration purposes. Obviously we aren't getting Tyler Seguin.

If we slot Seguin in place of Rask, we gain 10 goals in goals scored, and likely about 4 more at least with his 10 more assists. +14 goals. Add that to our current goals/game and this team goes from #27 in goals/game to number 6. Read that again. #6.  Not only that, but all the lines probably work better. Even if we kept TSA together.

Skinner-Seguin-Williams

Aho-Staal-Teravainen

McGinn-Ryan-Lindholm

Nordstrom-Rask-Jooris

Changes everything.

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Define "short period". And with respect to getting "a new owner in quickly", could we take heart that an Owner's Meeting is coming up shortly, and could we be so fortunate as to hope that a certain sale is announced? BTW, I don't mean to imply that I am against a short period to suffer thru, just unsure of that "period

I'd love to see a new owner in place within the next two months. Thanks to CC for this post at least we know there is some type of discussion being held at the BOG meeting.  I'd give a new owner two season's to make a major impact as some of the ground work is in place regarding player personnel. Open the purse, obtain some high end talent within two years.

Could the sale be forthcoming?  According to TSN the sale of the Hurricanes is on the Board of Governer's agenda tomorrow.

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-is-the-nhl-ready-to-discuss-seattle-1.935605

So, then the next question becomes, if the Board of Governor's meeting results in the rumored miraculous sale of Canes, and if the new owner is truly enamored with his new acquisition, and if he infact wants to spend even more of his money(certainly this would be all our "if" dreams come true, who could be targeted to take us to the promised playoff land?

Edited by KJUNKANE

8 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I've always thought we are 2 forwards short. A first line center and a high end forward who scores with regularity

Two top centers, IMO, and I think we already have one--in Lindy. We've got plenty of elite shooters--guys who can score, IMO: TT, Aho, Willy, and Skinner.

But any elite shooter can only do so much without the help that net-front creates: setting screens and collecting the trash. The latter is often lost in discussions of net-front; screens are as much about creating rebounds as scoring goals, because the best keepers will often get a piece of screened shots from the outside by virtue of sound positioning--but they won't freeze the puck. Putting Lindy in the middle and adding a top guy who regularly sets screens and cleans up the trash would be huge for this team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, then the next question becomes, if the Board of Governor's meeting results in the rumored miraculous sale of Canes, and if the new owner is truly enamored with his new acquisition, and if he infect wants to spend even more of his money(certainly this would be all our "if" dreams come true, who could be targeted to take us to the promised playoff land?

All depends on the size of the wallet and what he can do to help Ronnie get trades accomplished or pick up a UFA. Plenty of talent out there next year although a lot of it is aged. http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/forward/ufa/

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

raleighcaniac, just because you mirror all of our frustrations, does not detract that the team is not evolving an identity, that of a fast moving, all hands on deck team quickly getting the puck out of the defensive zone into attack. That they have not had the ability to score is not a fault of their identity, but of the GM for not being able to obtain that final piece to put the entire puzzle together, be it a 1C or someone rugged enough to occupy the front of the net setting screens or capitalizing on rebounds. As pretty much agreed upon on here, that one fantasy 1C is virtually that, a fantasy. Thus we are left now in a Ground Hog Day scenario!!

Sorry Kajun but your assessment is way off. All teams in the NHL are fast. Thats the new league, moving away from the rough stuff and going with a speed approach. Getting the puck out of the defensive zone quickly is not an identity, its a tactic deployed by the other 30 teams as well. With the exception of the FL game where they showed a small flash of one off spunk, the Canes have no identity a la 05/06 for example; Whatever it Takes. The only identity they have with what has been a revolving door the last 4 years of inexpensive mostly ineffectual players is the color of their uniform. They are not a grit/grinder team that doesn't back down, they are not a finesse team that racks up goals, they are not a goon team that no-one wants to play against. They are just a team of nice guys who get along and go along - perhaps that is their identity after all.

Edited by raleighcaniac

16 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Two top centers, IMO, and I think we already have one--in Lindy. We've got plenty of elite shooters--guys who can score, IMO: TT, Aho, Willy, and Skinner.

But any elite shooter can only do so much without the help that net-front creates: setting screens and collecting the trash. The latter is often lost in discussions of net-front; screens are as much about creating rebounds as scoring goals, because the best keepers will often get a piece of screened shots from the outside by virtue of sound positioning--but they won't freeze the puck. Putting Lindy in the middle and adding a top guy who regularly sets screens and cleans up the trash would be huge for this team.

No argument here. Believe it or not there are guys that love living in the paint and make careers out of it.:P I just want one of those warriors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I was hoping Williams would be the high end forward who scores regularly but I feared his age and the lack of talent around him might affect him this year and it has.  He's still great and making plenty of plays but seems he won't be breaking 20 this year. So yeah that leaves a 1st line center and one more 20 goal wing guy on my wish list. basically the same thing we needed last year and this summer.  Willy basically replaced Stemp.   

Williams is fine and could produce more if there was some hell raising, coaching and player changes.  Otherwise just another losing season with same excuses.  If they wait much longer it will be worse than last year. 

• Like 1

At this point I see no reason to defend Peters.  He talks a big game but then nothing ever happens.  Yeah I know....we are the 2nd lowest salary cap team this year.  Las Vegas has even less talent than this team and they are #2 in the league.  They only spend 8m/yr more than us.  Once again, we went into the season with a bunch of if this happens, if that happens, and if only Darling is slightly above Average....We will sneak into the playoffs.  Once again for the 9th year straight those ifs have not happened and it is looking like we will see a 11th place finish unless a change is made of some sort.

Not sure who we can trade for or if that savior is even available/out there.  Probably isn't tbh.  I'm not sure what the fix is other than getting a 1C but I have no idea who that 1C is.  ROR, JVR,  Marner, Nylander, are names I have seen floated around.  Not sure how I feel about any of them especially the last 2 from Toronto.  Chances are high they would fizzle out here due to not having Auston Matthews on the team.  I hope we get a new owner that will open up the purse / make a splash.  But even then, that splash would not be until this off season more than likely.  I have lost complete faith in Peters and so has the locker room.  No progress over 4 years, constant mediocrity.  It's time for a new HC. As usual, I hope I am wrong and the team goes on some sort of streak and all of this becomes invalid.  Just not seeing that happen though.

Edited by bluedevil58

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

Sorry Kajun but your assessment is way off. All teams in the NHL are fast. Thats the new league, moving away from the rough stuff and going with a speed approach. Getting the puck out of the defensive zone quickly is not an identity, its a tactic deployed by the other 30 teams as well. With the exception of the FL game where they showed a small flash of one off spunk, the Canes have no identity a la 05/06 for example; Whatever it Takes. The only identity they have with what has been a revolving door the last 4 years of inexpensive mostly ineffectual players is the color of their uniform. They are not a grit/grinder team that doesn't back down, they are not a finesse team that racks up goals, they are not a goon team that no-one wants to play against. They are just a team of nice guys who get along and go along - perhaps that is their identity after all.

Aha, thanks for that pearl of wisdom raleigh. I guess that's why announcers I've heard keep focusing on "the team speed", but on the other hand, if in fact all teams have it, why is this a constant comment about this team? So I suppose that if they or we cannot come up with a team motto, ie Whatever It Takes, than they have no identity? Or is it because they do not fit into those 3 pigeon holes you've selected?

I've got a catchy identity for you, why not say it's If Pigs Fly team?

Edited by KJUNKANE

16 minutes ago, AGRAFF said:

Williams is fine and could produce more if there was some hell raising, coaching and player changes.  Otherwise just another losing season with same excuses.  If they wait much longer it will be worse than last year. 

So sad, if it does not change than no tickets bought by me this year. 

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Although "wishful thinking at beat", I'm hoping that the shot of Francis at this last game was more revealing than most. His facial expressions usually are a reflection of his personna, that is "close to the vest". Last night, the shot of him upstairs at the game looked very gaunt. I hope this translates to a MOVE, otherwise PNC arena will be uncommonly dead for Christmas holidays?

Possibly, but the only shot of Francis i remember was right as Kruger was skating off the ice with a misconduct.  Any frustration on his face very well could have been due entirely to that and not a revelation of his thoughts on the past month.  If he does in fact make a move and it's just Kruger out for a bag of pucks, we'll know.  :lol:

Aha, thanks for that pearl of wisdom raleigh. I guess that's why announcers I've heard keep focusing on "the team speed", but on the other hand, if in fact all teams have it, why is this a constant comment about this team? So I suppose that if they or we cannot come up with a team motto, ie Whatever It Takes, than they have no identity? Or is it because they do not fit into those 3 pigeon holes you've selected?

I've got a catchy identity for you, why not say it's If Pigs Fly team?

I watched the game last night on my phone listening to the Van announcers; never heard a peep about 'the Canes are fast.'  Who by name are these announcers you claim are making the 'Canes are fast' comments who are not on the Canes payroll? Tell me who the 'slow' teams are in the league? (Hint: there are none). By your own admission your newer to this sport than most and thats fine. But back in the 70's the Habs won 4 straight Cups because no-one in the league could match their speed and finish. Same with the Oilers in the mid 80's and  the Islanders in the early 80's who did it with a combo of speed and physicality. They all had finishers.   Nowadays the entire league is faster and younger than its ever been, that's just fact. Fighting is down and premium skating is up. If the Canes were a 'fast' team as in faster than most you would see them making many odd man breaks in a majority of games, but the reality is you don't because each team the Canes play are also as fast (also because its system hockey these days). And back to identity, they have none. Competing night in, night out creates identity along with the W's that go with hard work and every player being accountable to his teammates (05/06 Whatever It Takes). Losing year over year does not create identity anyone wants to be associated with. These guys don't look to be accountable to one another in the least. This is a toothless team who play without pride of sweater they're wearing. They play some games simply going through the motions then recycle older post game interview comments like, 'we have to find a way' 'we need to start on time' 'we need a strong effort by everyone' blah blah heard em all. What on earth do you mean by saying its an all hands on deck team? You mean when the game checks are being handed out?

Edited by raleighcaniac

59 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

At this point I see no reason to defend Peters.  He talks a big game but then nothing ever happens.  Yeah I know....we are the 2nd lowest salary cap team this year.  Las Vegas has even less talent than this team and they are #2 in the league.  They only spend 8m/yr more than us.  Once again, we went into the season with a bunch of if this happens, if that happens, and if only Darling is slightly above Average....We will sneak into the playoffs.  Once again for the 9th year straight those ifs have not happened and it is looking like we will see a 11th place finish unless a change is made of some sort.

Not sure who we can trade for or if that savior is even available/out there.  Probably isn't tbh.  I'm not sure what the fix is other than getting a 1C but I have no idea who that 1C is.  ROR, JVR,  Marner, Nylander, are names I have seen floated around.  Not sure how I feel about any of them especially the last 2 from Toronto.  Chances are high they would fizzle out here due to not having Auston Matthews on the team.  I hope we get a new owner that will open up the purse / make a splash.  But even then, that splash would not be until this off season more than likely.  I have lost complete faith in Peters and so has the locker room.  No progress over 4 years, constant mediocrity.  It's time for a new HC. As usual, I hope I am wrong and the team goes on some sort of streak and all of this becomes invalid.  Just not seeing that happen though.

I still defend him until a new owner does his evaluation of him and the GM. We all feel we are 1 or 2 players away from a competitive team. Why is that Peters fault? You state he talks a big game but doesn't deliver. What do you expect him to say to the press? I think we will fall short again, we are still a player or two away. A sure way to get fired. In regards to Vegas only being 8 mil above us, you do realize that 8 mil could get us 2 good players or 1 high end one which could make all the difference in the world for a bubble team. In Peters I trust.

I guess that's why announcers I've heard keep focusing on "the team speed", but on the other hand, if in fact all teams have it, why is this a constant comment about this team?

KJUN, I think a lot of them are referring to transition out of the d-zone and not necessarily foot speed.  I would agree that the entire league is about skating now and all teams are looking for the fast, quality skater.  But some teams are faster moving the puck up the ice with speed.  That's my take on it anyway.

Offseason additions to address scoring deficiencies: Williams (arguably offset in large part by Stemp's injury).  Kruger,  Joorish

Offseason goalie fix:  Darling, who has played below expectations so far (hopefully that will change)

Canes down the middle:  Staal,  Rask,  Ryan,  Kruger

I wonder: were our expectations going into this season just a tad too high, especially taking into account that last point?  :letssee:

Edited by LakeLivin

How is that Peters's fault?

It's his JOB to get the guys focused to play EVERY SINGLE GAME.  How many times this season have we seen them not get off the bus til the 3rd period, or melt down at the 10 minute mark in the 3rd?  

• Like 1