The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

50 minutes ago, OBXer said:

(Necas and Kuok on opening day roster).

So I guess the question of which one will stay has been answered (for 9 games anyway) Now the question is which one will play?

If either. If my math is right we'll have two healthy scratch forwards. Theoretically could scratch them both. Theoretically could also play them both.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Peter anticipates Darling gets the start.

I'm shocked!!!!! ;)

I have to say Peters played this one out in deference to Cam, but it is good to actually hear him say the words Darling is starting, even if he added "anticipates".

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

and no rush to get him back to his Junior team for a worthless extra year in Juniors.

Under current rules where would you send him? IMO only worthless if you don't use the time to improve your game.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

This made me want to open my first beer of the day. Well maybe my second. https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/raleigh-mayor-issues-proclamations-to-celebrate-hurricanes/c-291537728

The first one is just an appetizer.  You know, just to stimulate the appetite and increase BMI.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Thanks, Top.

I just wonder what's the point of keeping him on the team 'till the last moment, then.

I agree with OBX, to expose him to the NHL style of play as much as possible. He'll turn 20 next summer and this will be his fourth year in Calgary. Have to think he's being eyed to make the team out of camp next year. 

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Under current rules where would you send him? IMO only worthless if you don't use the time to improve your game.

I do wish there was an exception clause for 1st round picks.  At 18 a player must play in the O/Whl but at 19 if the player was a 1st rounder they can play in the AHL.  Or better yet the season after drafting is a must play (as currently) and the following year a team has the option to pick 1 of eligible juniors players from that draft class to play in the AHL.  The option would allow the juniors to retain the talented 18 year olds.  Then at 19 a player, if chosen by the team, can play in the AHL.  At most, the juniors would lose 31 players.  It solves the issue of a superior talented guy needing more of a challenge while not depleting the juniors.  

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

I'm continuing my attack on the system and the agreement between the NHL and Junior Hockey. I've heard several players now say that that last year in Juniors was not ideal developmentally, and Patrick O Sullivan called it a complete waste. Bean is already dominating junior players and also not ready for the NHL. More domination in Juniors is not the best next step for him. He needs a higher level of competition.

I do wonder about Europe, sort of a delayed version of the Auston Matthews move. If not that, have any of these guys ever signed up for a year of college, or is that even an option? Seems like D1 college at least has older players, and guys seem to benefit from a sophomore year.  In an ideal world he'd start getting some time in the AHL.

I'd like to see each team get one exemption that can go to the AHL, even if it were at the half way point. I'd use it on Bean this year.

Rem, it's a little late to enroll a player in college just to play hockey, unless schools up North start 6 to 7 weeks after colleges around here. It's not like these guys are college basketball players! 

I've never had to make the call to send somebody to the WHL.  Plenty of guys have played their 4 seasons there and done just fine though.  I've seen major junior games in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario.  Awesome hockey and great pace and speed.  That's about it geographically, so I'm no expert.   Point is, if you've seen it live you may have a different opinion.  Can't speak for the WHL, but CHL hockey in general has something to continue to offer to Bean, IMO.  It's not the end of his world or his development.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

On going back to Juniors, I agree that they do end up doing fine, and if they are NHL players they eventually tend to become NHL players, but it just might take them longer. Maybe not as much for D men, but still longer.  If Bean could go right to the AHL now and his theoretical identical twin went to the Checkers, which one would be a better player and closer to NHL ready at the end of the year? I don't know for sure, but my guess is that elite level talent would benefit in that last year from a higher level of play. I definitely could be wrong, but I've heard players say it too.

The college idea was really sort of just wondering. Is that even a possibility for guys who have played all those years in the Junior system? Going to Europe? Is that an option? Even so, few do it. When Matthews did it, it was before he was drafted, and even then it was pretty unusual.

I hear today that Ottawa is sending Thomas Chabot down to the minors. This is a stud Junior hockey player D man that many thought might make the Sens. He's 20, and seriously dominated even at the Worlds. Patrick O Sullivan made the point that among other things he needs to learn to play without having the puck all of the time. In junior hockey a stud like that carries the puck a lot more than they will in the NHL, and Patrick made the point, 'or in the AHL'.

Bean will be fine. But I would argue he will not be NHL ready next year. I think of Fleury getting to the AHL and struggling at first in a tougher league until he found his game after also dominating one extra year in Juniors. Still, NHL D men take longer. so in the end he'll be fine.

I don't know more than the folks who make the decisions and I'm not going to start today. 

What makes you so sure he won't be NHL ready? 

Edited by coastal_caniac

The rules give Peters and Francis no real choice, so I don't get that last part. Bean has to either stay in the NHL or go to Juniors. In no way am I questioning their decision given that dichotomy. I just wonder about the lack of options when it comes to Canadian Junior Hockey players under 20. It would be nice if at least a few of them had other options.

If Bean could go to the AHL but Francis sent him back to Canadian hockey anyway, I doubt I'd question it. But it's not an option.

In Necas' case he can play just about anywhere. He's only 18 though. Francis has said if he doesn't make the team the decision is up to him. I'm not questioning that.

I understand all of that. But your were extending you angst to suggest Bean won't be NHL ready out of juniors, primarily because you don't like the system, with no out clause for guys like this.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I wonder why we kept Necas.  Brno’s season starts Friday. I could see if it the season started later and we wanted to maximize his practice time with the team. Since he stayed it seems like we created a little who plays scenario?

Does nordy, McGinn or Jorris play while they both are up?  2 of the three sit until they are sent down or do we bring these guys a long to have them sit?  The later doesn’t make much sense.  I could see keeping one to have a depth forward while on the Western swing.  Both seems odd.

TT-Rask-Williams

Aho-Staal-Lindholm 

Skins-Ryan-Necas

Kuokkanen-Kruger-Nordy

jooris, McGinn

or do you turn Kruger in a total shut down mode with Lindholm on the 4th then slide Kuokkanen up to another line combo?  

Not sure how I feel about Skinner on the 3rd line.   He should be getting top 6 minutes.  I know him on the 3rd line leads to him going up against defensive mismatches.   I don't buy it. 

Edited by bluedevil58

The Western League is a great training ground for D, far better and much tougher than the O or Q. As an Alberta boy, Peters surely knows that. Bean will be fine. 

OMG only 3 days and change.  I am really Excited.  Havent felt that way for a few years.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

What makes you so sure he won't be NHL ready? 

Seems to be following the Fleury path. It just seems that most D men coming out of Juniors need some AHL time at some point. I could be wrong, and I still like Bean a lot.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

Seems to be following the Fleury path. It just seems that most D men coming out of Juniors need some AHL time at some point. I could be wrong, and I still like Bean a lot.

I don't doubt he won't need some more marinating in the AHL but I also don't think another year in juniors is a waste of time. 

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

I don't doubt he won't need some more marinating in the AHL but I also don't think another year in juniors is a waste of time. 

Fair enough. I could well be wrong. Just something I've been kicking around for a while. Clearly the NHL agrees that it's not a waste. I've heard players feel that it is, but it's not everyone. Seems like the ideal might be to split the year, but that would be tough on the junior team.