The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

21 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

There is only one thing better than a Friday (okay, maybe two things), and that's the Friday after THE PENGUINS LOSE 10-1.

Any idea which prospect the Penguins are tanking for?  Or is it just Rutherford's innate ability to kill a winning team ?

3 hours ago, winger52 said:

Any idea which prospect the Penguins are tanking for?  Or is it just Rutherford's innate ability to kill a winning team ?

I dunno, but I'll betcha Matt Cullen is all smiles about now.

Edited by top-shelf-1

15 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

It's those tight 1 goal games where we need a star to rise to the occasion and score a clutch goal what has me concerned.   With that being said, this is the most talented team we have seen since 2006.

That guy doesn't have to be a center. We can spell that go to guy as Skinner or JWilly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

That guy doesn't have to be a center. We can spell that go to guy as Skinner or JWilly.

Or Aho.  Obviously there are no guarantees, but imo "when" is a bigger question than "if".  Could still be a year or two out.

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Lets not forget about Aho. I mean it would be no surprise at all if the kid hits 35-40goals. 

2 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Tampa Bay's J.T. Brown stands with a raised fist during the anthem.  I was really hoping this behavior would not get into the NHL.. 

It's just the latest trend.  Thankfully we don't have to worry about any of that political  nonsense happening here on a nightly basis.

Edited by bluedevil58

I'm not impressed either way with raised fists or taking a knee during the anthem - hate to say it but i find it no worse than yelling out 'red'.  I'm not going to get bent out of shape over either.  I do have a question about J.T. though - was he born in Minnesota or North Carolina?  I'm seeing sources saying both.  Is he another Patrick O'Sullivan case?  20 years on from the Hurricanes moving here, it's time for more NC-born players to hit the NHL.

Just got home from the STH party. Only one player was a no show for the autograph session. Scott Darling.

Decent crowd. Good to meet/see the new faces on the team.

Edited by hopper915

I did not see the first period last night, but notwithstanding the defensive pairings in the preseason and the announced pairings prior to the game, it looked to me like Slavin and Pesce were reunited for most of the rest of the game. In almost every way, this game seemed to be the opposite of last year's opener at Winnipeg. We overcame a 2 goal lead as well as a blown lead in the last second to win in a shootout. I think the collapse in the opener last year set the tone for much of the season, so hear's hoping the way we overcame adversity to win last night sets a tone for this year. 

• Like 2

Lord knows that Peters and Smith know what they're doing. But that never stopped me from opining.

I don't quite get the insistence they seemed to have in the pre-season to split up Slavin - Pesce, and frankly to spit up Hanifin - Faulk. Those pairings just seemed to me anyways to work so well in that last month of last year. Is it just an insistence to make Faulk a top pair D man? Is it just trying to make macth ups harder for the other coach? Is it one defensive stud matched with one defensively less studly guy?

The weird chemistry thing was not that Slavin/Pesce "worked" and shut down top lines nightly, but that Faulk - Hanifin "worked". There are two guys going into that pairing that had D Zone danger written all over it. Yet, somehow it worked. Maybe smarter observers than me can explain it for real. I'm thinking that a combination of puck moving skills, mobility, and maybe both guys knowing that they can't cheat as much without a Slavin or Pesce back there, but somehow they played better defense than the sum of the parts.

Even in the Minnesota game I saw Hanifin's mistakes coming from overly aggressive neutral zone plays, of the variety that seem to burn Faulk historically. I get that is how we want to play, but those mistakes seem to turn into goals a lot.

Anyway, I'd like to see them try those pairings from last year for a while.

On another note, I think Fleury/TVR will end up being a pretty high grade bottom pairing.

This play just encapsulates so many great things about how this team can play I just have to post a link to it: The key though is to watch the entire play from Slavin's stud play in our end to the quick touch passes to transition all the way through. The entire play can only be seen in the replay aroun :34 in.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/rasks-go-ahead-goal/t-277437094/c-53274803

1. Slavin makes a beast play leaving Eric Staal on his keister and quickly transitioning the puck up the boards to Pesce.

2. Pesce makes a one touch pass up further to Jordan who one touches it to Lindholm in stride.

3. Lindholm breaks out with speed, splits the D and spins back and drops it back to Aho.

4. Aho pirouettes into the center of the ice, where Pesce is driving the center lane thus drawing the far D man to him.

5. Aho puts in on a rushing Rask's stick who has a clean shot.

6. Rask buries a laser in the top corner.

Every skater touches the puck as we transition with serious speed, get a net lane drive, a few skill plays and a snipe. That's hockey baby.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, remkin said:

This play just encapsulates so many great things about how this team can play I just have to post a link to it: The key though is to watch the entire play from Slavin's stud play in our end to the quick touch passes to transition all the way through. The entire play can only be seen in the replay aroun :34 in.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/rasks-go-ahead-goal/t-277437094/c-53274803

1. Slavin makes a beast play leaving Eric Staal on his keister and quickly transitioning the puck up the boards to Pesce.

2. Pesce makes a one touch pass up further to Jordan who one touches it to Lindholm in stride.

3. Lindholm breaks out with speed, splits the D and spins back and drops it back to Aho.

4. Aho pirouettes into the center of the ice, where Pesce is driving the center lane thus drawing the far D man to him.

5. Aho puts in on a rushing Rask's stick who has a clean shot.

6. Rask buries a laser in the top corner.

Every skater touches the puck as we transition with serious speed, get a net lane drive, a few skill plays and a snipe. That's hockey baby.

And Eric never got back into the picture until the shot was being released.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Even in the Minnesota game I saw Hanifin's mistakes coming from overly aggressive neutral zone plays, of the variety that seem to burn Faulk historically. I get that is how we want to play, but those mistakes seem to turn into goals a lot.

I was thinking along similar lines, but the phrase that jumped into my mind was "poor judgement" rather than "over aggression".  I'd rather it be the second, as aggression can be more easily modified imo.  Judgement seems to be more an instinctual thing, instantaneous recognition whether the player can get there in time or not. 

On the positive side:  Fleury looked solid, even more so than Hainifin imo (not counting the goal, of course)  

28 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yes, Pesce sucked in the first period when not paired with Slavin, so not overthinking things maybe that's just on Pesce.  He had some bad mistakes in the preseason as well.

Yes, Pesce got burned a few times. Last year our D got off to a slow start as well. All fixable errors with the talent we have,

I think PBP was experimenting with the D pairings in preseason and to start the game to try to provide a little offensive punch to each of the 1st 2 pairings.  He saw the error of his ways, and moved on.  No big woop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Bus to Charlotte? Budget flight to Europe? Place your bets:letssee:

$1 on a couple more games of the status quo to see if Kook spits the bit in order to give Necas a taste (def less than 10 games) before sending him back to  . . . hmm, not sure.  I don't see Stempniak back for a number of games; once he's back on the ice gotta believe he'll need some conditioning time.

I wonder just how good Columbus is. I initially thought they looked strong but they got dismantled by the Hawks 5-0 who also double dismantled Pit 10-1. All that talk about the Hawks putting too much money in too few players? Season just started I know but those were two 'wow' whooping's. I still think Columbus is pretty strong however. Tomorrow night will be a good test for a young Canes team...

Yeah I kind of agree with Lake. I think they would love to see Necas in a game, and to give him a taste but really who do you take out? The whole 4th line played too well, and so did Kuok. 

Guys, my heart is sad today, and hate to interject thus in the joy we all experienced Saturday night, but I think it needs to be reflected upon by all of us. This might not be the board to do it on, but counting om my fellow mods to position it where it should be.

Not sure how many of you took notice of the news Sunday morning, but a couple I've gotten to know fairly well, who generally entered PNC Arena about the time we did for games, the Mosses, Bill and Brenda, died en route home from game. These were genuinely nice people, who were STHers I believe. They had just, each purchased jerseys and had the team sign at last autograph day, both wore Saturday and very proud. In terms of tragedies, does not compare to Los Vegas, still, deeply saddening. ALL OF YOU, drive safely after games--- Kajun

• Like 1

Slavin's shootout move seems so good not just because it's a surprise, but also because it's a great move.  Goalie has to cover his left post, then is forced to aggressively move to his right and Slavin uses that momentum to make it very difficult to stop when Slavin reverses to his backhand.  And if the goalie does stop quickly enough to cover Slavin's move to his backhand, seems like Slavin could hesitate and instead of going to his backhand continue to move to his lleft and stuff the puck in around the goalie on his stick side.  He's got the goalie moving side to side so aggressively It almost seems like the goalie has a 50/50 chance of guessing which side to cover, with the wrong choice likely resulting in a goal (unless maybe he disrupts the play with a good poke check as Slavin comes across the crease?).

Now I can see why you might not want another left hand shot Cane to duplicate that move, as it might make it too predictable.  But I wonder why one of our right handed shooters hasn't borrowed the move to execute from the opposite side as Slavin?  Maybe Justin Williams, or Lindholm?

Edited by LakeLivin