Sign in to follow this  
WilmingtonCaniac

How do cord cutters get to see Canes games?

Well, I dropped Directv and am hunting for a way to get Canes on tv.  Started with Sling Blue, it left me with half of the channels I regularly watch.  Currently on Directv Now.  I must learn to read - all of these give me Fox Sports South as the RSN for my Zip Code 28409 and not FS Carolinas which I had with Directv.  Fox Sports Go will not let me pick up FS Carolinas because the streamers think I'm out of market based on what they do with zip codes.

Any thoughts for a legal way for me to get my Canes fix?  What is the community doing?  Is it just Chuck over the WRAL audio stream?

I'd hate to go back to satellite.

Hey Wilm. 

We cut the cable probably six or seven years ago. One night we realized we were mostly channel surfing (except in hockey season, of course). The old "300 channels and nothing's on" thing. We started streaming Netflix and never looked back. 

For hockey, it took the industry a few years to catch up with us. So it was Chuck for the first four or five years. We'd head out for beers and a big screen once in a while, and of course go to a few games each season. Then last year I got Sling Blue and it worked great. I dumped it after the season ended and re-upped probably a month ago for Traverse City.

Depending on what you watch regularly and don't want to give up, you may find that you can view it on demand for less money than you'd spend on DTV. But the really big piece of the puzzle (for us) was to question our viewing. 

We used to come home and turn on the TV almost automatically, like many folks do. Part of that was on me, because I'm a lifelong news junkie. But I also worked in that industry (back when it had a conscience), and the more I saw it fragmenting into various tribes with little to no interest in even appearing objective, letting go became easy.

The same was true of our other viewing: Once we started asking ourselves whether the stuff we watched was enhancing our lives, the answer, nine times out of ten, was no; we were just "sucking our brains out through our eyeballs," as a friend of mine likes to say. On top of which, we both have computer-intense jobs, so cutting out the post-work screen time opened us up to pursuing other interests. Best of all, when we do watch now, we know it'll be something we like. We've discovered shows we love on Netflix (many from overseas) that we would never have even heard of without it.

So for us, it really came down to questioning TV's value and prominence in our lives, and re-ordering our priorities. 

For hockey, it took the industry a few years to catch up with us. So it was Chuck for the first four or five years. We'd head out for beers and a big screen once in a while, and of course go to a few games each season. Then last year I got Sling Blue and it worked great. I dumped it after the season ended and re-upped probably a month ago for Traverse City.

Thanks for the input, Top.  

My cord cut happened at the end of the regular system.  Went to Sling Blue as well.  Here in Wilmington, streaming Blue on Roku had the sound leading or lagging the picture, I forget which. I've got NBC on OTA, watched playoffs and finals there or in NBCSN (Sling).  Moved to Directv Now, and lips and words are in sync.

My problem is Regional Sports Network.  My zip code is lumped in a range and assigned to Fox Sports South.  Not Fox Sports Carolinas, not even Fox Sports Southeast.  The streamers must have copied zip code tables, as Sling, Directv Now and PS Vue all assign FSS.

Chatted with DTV Now, expressed my disappointment and they are to "escalate" my issue to the unnamed programming side of the business.  Funny (in a ironic way), but I cut off Directv past the end of the contract due to exorbitant cost.  With them (the other side of the AT&T house), I got Fox Sports Carolinas with Fox Sport Southeast as an alternate.  You'd think they'd get their location decision from closer to home, but instead chose to copy the streaming competition.  Go figure.

So on to Chuck's audio feed.  I'll probably not live to see action from the streamers.

Edited by WilmingtonCaniac
Typos

That lag you got on Sling may be your router, and can sometimes be corrected simply by resetting  depending how old your router is. Unplug power, wait 10 ticks, plug back in and wait for reboot). We you using a Roku stick or some other receiving device? 

Actually, taking that from the Sling web signup site.  I am on Roku.  Router is supplied by Spectrum internet, on the 5k band.

I'll give it a look later in the week.

I'm fairly tech savvy, networking was a career a couple of careers ago.

• Like 1

I just got Sling. Using a Roku box. I'm watching Pens game without any lag. But early days so I will reserve judgment

Let me add what I read on the Sling website.  FSC is an alternate channel to FSS.  Gotta look for it and will when I resubscribe.  Will miss Discovery, but will survive if I can see Canes.

Also watching Pens on Directv Now (NBCSN)..  Good picture, no lag.  My internet at 100 mbs +/-, 5k band wifi w/nobody else in range.  Roku express.

Update:  added Sling Blue earlier today.  I see in the guide the alternate FS channels and have canes pregame, game, postgame.

And, some improvement in service, no lag/lead in audio/video.  Lips move in sync with sound.

Keeping Directv, but on the lowes level.  Net to me for both: + $10.00.  And I have Discovery and Fox News.

Thanks to Top and OBXer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac-1-1 said:

On topic (?).. Carolina/Columbus is a "free game of the week" on NHL.tv if you live outside the blackout area.

Maybe you should post this in the Gameday too.

I'm using NHL.TV if I had to rate it I'd likely say 6 out of 10, I just want to watch the home feed and it's my only option so I put up with it. The feed tonight got stuck 3 times for instance. 

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before here, but has anyone here subscribed to NHLTV (via NHL.com)?  I need to find a better way to view the games. I too would love to somehow get FS Carolinas to catch Canes games (and Hornets games as an added bonus when I'm craving hoops), but from what Ive read that's a no-go if you aren't an in-market cable subscriber.  I've already researched Sling and Center Ice. I like mobile options so I can watch via laptop and iPhone when sitting in a StarBucks, in the middle of the woods, or at the police station (j/k) ;)

Thoughts/experiences with NHLTV??

4 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before here, but has anyone here subscribed to NHLTV (via NHL.com)?  I need to find a better way to view the games. I too would love to somehow get FS Carolinas to catch Canes games (and Hornets games as an added bonus when I'm craving hoops), but from what Ive read that's a no-go if you aren't an in-market cable subscriber.  I've already researched Sling and Center Ice. I like mobile options so I can watch via laptop and iPhone when sitting in a StarBucks, in the middle of the woods, or at the police station (j/k) ;)

I'm still stuck with Directv, so this season I switched over to Center Ice (which now includes NHLTV).  I've had just NHLTV the last 2 seasons up here in Iowa and haven't had any trouble. The stream can be a bit of a bandwidth hog, but if you've got a good connection you should be fine.

Only downside for me is that I'm in a pretty rough blackout region. Wild/Blues/Blackhawks games normally blacked out.

On 10/14/2017 at 10:36 AM, surfzone365 said:

REALLLLLLLY depends on how you're viewing it. My PS4 constantly drop to worse then 1990's tv quality and randomly stops. My PC and Roku Express however run fine. 

So maybe their PS4 app is crap? Not sure. 

5 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

My PC and Roku Express however run fine. 

I use an old Roku and had my first freeze on sling last game. Two min left it the Game. :Aarrg: So I guess it is time to upgrade my Roku. Before this is over I could of paid for two months of cable :letssee: Yet now that I have cut the cable I refuse to go back :facepalm:

Well, I purchased NHL TV so I'll see how it goes.  The mobile ability allows me to watch games while at the gym and on the go since my schedule is pretty wacky.  I'll share my experiences in the near future.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 12:57 PM, OBXer said:

I use an old Roku and had my first freeze on sling last game. Two min left it the Game. :Aarrg: So I guess it is time to upgrade my Roku. Before this is over I could of paid for two months of cable :letssee: Yet now that I have cut the cable I refuse to go back :facepalm:

Don't blame the Roku stick, yet.  Happened to me too, same timing, two minutes left.  I kinda figured it was a Sling issue, picture quality all over the place, mostly poor to bad.

I'm planning to have a look at Fubo since it was mentioned by John and Tripp last night.  I'm only using Sling for Canes games, so it might (if the games coverage is complete) save me a couple of more bucks.

I think what happens with Sling (just guessing here_ is that they set an estimated game time for the FS-CR app and when it reaches that preset time it times out. To retrieve the game you must go back into the menu and click on the post game icon to retrieve the game. The problem is it takes a little time to do that. I would think they would be able to schedule the game and post game as a single live event to avoid this but what do I know

Hoping to see if someone can help me with this - when I had Time Warner Cable, I could watch every game with the Fox Sports Go app last season. Now, we have Google Fiber, and while I can still login, it's not showing any of the Canes games. Any ideas?

On 10/19/2017 at 1:37 PM, ThrashCanes said:

Hoping to see if someone can help me with this - when I had Time Warner Cable, I could watch every game with the Fox Sports Go app last season. Now, we have Google Fiber, and while I can still login, it's not showing any of the Canes games. Any ideas?

I wish I could help you. I din't know enough about it. Curious you can log in but not get the game. I hope someone has a solution for you.

Here is a link to a Google help forum

Others seem to be having similar problems

FWIW....So far NHL TV has been good for me.  I've been able to stream in pretty good HD quality on my laptop and iPhone.  Watched a non-Canes game at the gym the other night with no notable issues.  I do like the option to choose between home and away broadcasts. 

On 10/20/2017 at 6:52 PM, OBXer said:

I wish I could help you. I din't know enough about it. Curious you can log in but not get the game. I hope someone has a solution for you.

Here is a link to a Google help forum

Others seem to be having similar problems

I ended up just getting NHL.TV, and it's been top-notch so far. Also, it's nice being able to see every NHL game out there. Fortunately, I live in Virginia, so only the Caps are blacked-out, not the Canes.

Also, the subscription only cost be $90 or so with a student/military discount. Appreciate you trying to help though!

• Like 1

I wish the NHL.TV wouldn't black out the whole area. I would gladly pay them 140 for the season but it wouldn't get me very far watching the Canes in Raleigh. I mean I could VPN from an out of market server but that seems like a pain for every game. Especially since Netflix blocks VPN servers so it means turning it on and off all the time.

Looks like Sling is the best way to go from all the comments at least they give me a week free trial to see how it goes.