Sign in to follow this  
WilmingtonCaniac

How do cord cutters get to see Canes games?

2 hours ago, TaoWarrior said:

Looks like Sling is the best way to go

There are other options but I used Sling last year. It was fine and when they broadcast games on another FOX alternate if it wasn't on S;ing you can sign in on FoxSports APP and get the game.

OBXer - can you clarify - are you saying that the Fox Sports SE games don't show on Sling? I was hoping they would. They list FS South for their affiliate, I thought that would cover both. But if not, how do you view Canes games on the FoxSports app? I thought those were blacked out in the local viewing area.

I've recently decided to ditch the Dish, and figured I'd try the different options. My main requirements are to be able to DVR and fast-forward through commercials since I time shift the games. I watch very little else on TV. A little Discovery, Smithsonian, and Comedy Central, and not much I'd miss there. Wife is Bravo, ABC, and not much else.

Started with Hulu. $40+$15 for enhanced DVR (200 hours, way more than needed, but can skip commercials). Interface takes some getting used to but I'll get there. Big plus - find Canes, select record, that's it for the season. Beats setting a timer for every game. Downsides, it seems you cannot record the post-game, even though it's listed, and you cannot extend the end time. I never used to watch these in the Muller/Peters era but loving the Brindy show. They do seem good about not cutting off the end of the games. The main downside is they show FS Carolinas only, no FS SE (ex. no Colorado game listed).

I'd be interested in similar feedback on Sling, and also if anyone is using Charter - I figure they probably have FS SE games. I may end up back with them, $40 basic package has almost all I want for channels and bundle will bring my internet cost down, plus the login works with all the channel apps and you can stream your DVR.

Edited by JLP

11 hours ago, JLP said:

OBXer - can you clarify - are you saying that the Fox Sports SE games don't show on Sling? I was hoping they would. They list FS South for their affiliate, I thought that would cover both. But if not, how do you view Canes games on the FoxSports app? I thought those were blacked out in the local viewing area.

I use a Roku on my tv. I used Sling last year. Most of the games were on Sling. Sling has several fox sports channels. I can't remember if it was FSSE or FSS but every once in a while a game wasn't on Sling. I had also downloaded both the Fox app and the Fox Sports app on the Roku.  You can activate both apps and sign in with your Sling user name and password with no additional cost. The games that weren't on a Sling channel were always on the Fox apps. With your Sling account sign-in there wasn't a blackout.

After the season last year I dropped Sling and went to one of the Charter/Spectrum apps. They sent me a special offer that was cheaper than Sling. The Charter sales person said I would get FSCR but alas I didn't. I was about to switch back when I noticed that if I signed into the Fox Sports app with my Spectrum name and password I was getting the games on that app. I'm not sure I'm suppose to get them but I do. I'm also not sure I will get all the games. Time will tell.

Both Sling and Spectrum have a free trail period. You can try one and cancel if you don't like it..

On 10/16/2018 at 8:18 PM, JLP said:

OBXer - can you clarify

It appears that with my Charter/Spectrum special package I don't get the games on Fox Sports SE. Not even on the FoxSports app. Other packages might include them but not mine.