The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Keeping an eye on the Metro

TSN polled all of their analysts and had us missing by two slots. They had us just out. They are a bit biased to Canadian teams. Metro: Wash/Pitts/Columbus with WC to Bruins and Ottawa. 

I think they're wrong about Ottawa and us. 

Almost time to find out.

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Watching this Pens love-fest with their Cup banner on NBCSN makes me physically sick...because of that POS who's their GM.

Haha, AWAC I swear I was just coming on to post that I was “watching the Pens love-fest” too...those exact (fitting) words!  (Great minds?)   Although, I do confess I have a little less animosity toward their GM than you, but Mrs. Storm agrees with you!

I turned off the love fest and watched the end of a movie.  Also turned off the TV when the Blues were "comfortably up" on the Pens.  Before retiring, I saw it was tied.  What the?  Decided to watch OT and was rewarded.  Would have preferred the Blues denied all points to a Metro team, but at least they denied one.

To the two time defending Cup Champions goes the pre game glory. JR with 3 Cups to his name as GM will be remembered as a good GM no matter the between the lines deficiencies he had of which there are many. Crosby looked all world last night, as usual. He would look mighty fine in red centering the 1st line. Everyone would play 2" taller and 15lbs heavier.

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Well the Metro looks winnable after two days. (Slight sarcasm there)

the pens were spanked by the Blackhawks 10-1.  Yes no typo there.

Gave up 15 in 2 games.  Nice.  We'll see if the JR rot from within is finally taking hold.

If its because of JR so be it but this may also be the effect of playing approximately 220 games including exhibition regular and post season hockey in just 2 seasons. Having about 9-10 weeks off last summer before lacing them up again just isn't sustainable.

25 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

If its because of JR so be it but this may also be the effect of playing approximately 220 games including exhibition regular and post season hockey in just 2 seasons. Having about 9-10 weeks off last summer before lacing them up again just isn't sustainable.

You may or may not be right, but one thing's for sure - due to JR's management style there won't be much on the farm for a good while to bring in if and when the big boys are in fact unable to sustain it.

2 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

This is our division. To think anything less is treason.

Yeah, there's that. And being from Philly, my disgust with the Flightless Bird is essentially a birthright. Then I move here, become a Canes fan, and freakin' JR goes there (as [Arm]PitsBurgh is known inside the city limits) to milk himself another couple rings, having left this org in a playoff desert he led it to.

My joy at knowing that org will ultimately be in that same desert is the only thing that kept me on the rails when Sindy was bouncing Subban's head on the ice like a beachball last spring.  

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, there's that. And being from Philly, my disgust with the Flightless Bird is essentially a birthright. Then I move here, become a Canes fan, and freakin' JR goes there (as [Arm]PitsBurgh is known inside the city limits) to milk himself another couple rings, having left this org in a playoff desert he led it to.

My joy at knowing that org will ultimately be in that same desert is the only thing that kept me on the rails when Sindy was bouncing Subban's head on the ice like a beachball last spring.  

Now that’s true fandom! A healthy hatred for a bitter rival can carry you a long way (in either direction) ?? My background is similar in that where I grew up, you hate anything Detroit... from their teams downs to their mascots Personally, I hope to see our fanbase evolve from a softer, tepid mentality to a hard-nosed not-so-nice terrible bunch of misfits! ?????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

I hope to see our fanbase evolve from a softer, tepid mentality to a hard-nosed not-so-nice terrible bunch of misfits! ?????

Did someone say misfits? I couldn't resist. 

• Like 1

And time for your metro update:

NJ and Philadelphia out to a quick start. Columbus was expected.

Capitals have lost 4 of 5 and aren’t looking good without a 50% shooting percentage from Ovi. 

We are tenth in the eastern despite playing the fewest games. All the teams ahead of us have played 2 or 3 games more.

A0AB96BE-879F-443D-8E7C-CA602F7AB89F.png

The East is really starting out good for us IMO. We need to win to take advantage of it, but especially the Rangers and Habs coming out of the shoot and immediately free falling is good. I think Devils and Flyers come back to Earth. Florida and NYI nicely below average. Jackets and Tampa were going to be good fine with me if they pile up wins.