The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Keeping an eye on the Metro

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

The cut line for the eighth spot is +1.  The Canes are +1. 

+2 now :)

It's way too early to be looking at standings, but looking at the standings, the Canes are in a good spot right now.  Typically, in the 9th spot, but played fewer games and looking good.

11 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

It's way too early to be looking at standings, but looking at the standings, the Canes are in a good spot right now.  Typically, in the 9th spot, but played fewer games and looking good.

Basically you wrong for doing it but hey Ill do it too?  ?

the point isnt to judge playoff chances this early.  Its more to check in on our division foes.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

There have been many comments on this forum about magic beans and how the games in hand don't mean anything until you win them, but i'll take the 7 points the Canes have in 5 games over the 7 points the Caps and Isles have in 7 with a smile on my face for the time being.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

There have been many comments on this forum about magic beans and how the games in hand don't mean anything until you win them, but i'll take the 7 points the Canes have in 5 games over the 7 points the Caps and Isles have in 7 with a smile on my face for the time being.

Magic beans are good to have.  The issue I have is when people start saying that you can look at each magic bean as a point, since you are going to win some of those.  I agree that you have to wait until you win them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

The issue I have is when people start saying that you can look at each magic bean as a point

If we've learned nothing else with this team over the past 10 years, let's hope we've at least figured out that the only points you can count on are the ones in the points column.

Metro update:

Devils still maintaining their  crazy pace. Philadelphia has come back to earth.  Penguins still have 7 wins despite being dead last in the big defensive categories. Islanders, and especially Tavares, are looking good.  Capitals and Rangers are struggling, as expected.  Hey there we are in 7th. 3 teams with 10 games played and one with 11 in the east.  The rest with 12+. Still a big swing if we get the 4 points while catching up with games played. 

E15FD869-DD9C-459F-8BD4-E8F5535EF023.png

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Metro update:

Devils still maintaining their  crazy pace. Philadelphia has come back to earth.  Penguins still have 7 wins despite being dead last in the big defensive categories. Islanders, and especially Tavares, a looking good.  Capitals and Rangers are struggling as expected.  Hey there we are in 7th. 3 teams with 10 games played and one with 11 in the east.  The rest with 12+. Still a big swing if we get the 4 points while catching up with games played. 

E15FD869-DD9C-459F-8BD4-E8F5535EF023.png

It is amazingly how a few points can completely alter that standings picture. Ebbs and flows of the season... Those teams above us are good and I always give credit where due, but none of them have that frightening powerhouse aura that the Caps had last two regular seasons. Tampa and Toronto ( not in the Metro of course) will be forces to reckon with in the overall East picture.

What I like about it is that the "big up" teams outside of Columbus are the Islanders and NJ. I think both are candidates to come back to Earth. Tavares is insanely hot, even he can't keep that up. They will settle back IMO.

A brief check on the Metro. Its still a tough division, in case anyone wasn’t sure.  No team is under .500 in the division. We have a better start than the last 5 years but the position in the standings is the same: last. Atlantic Division has 3 teams below .500.

5 points separates the leader (NJ) from last place (us).

23 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Radko Gudas gets 10 games for more of his dirty BS.  Couldn't have happened to a nicer feller.

Yah...had to drop him on 3 of my fantasy teams for that...but he did allow me to win the PIM portion of several matchups last week ;)

10 games for almost breaking a guys neck on purpose. NHL's gotta start suspending for what could have happened as well as for what did happen.