Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Attendance discussion

gocanes0506

I started this thread to have an attendance focus area

Message added by gocanes0506

Recommended Posts

I'm personally mystified as to why I can't sign on the hurricanes.nhl.com and buy a single game ticket directly from the team without paying Ticketmaster an ungodly fee.  The Canes are always going to have diverse and opportunity-based attendance, with the need to pull in rural fans who make up their mind late and aren't going to drop by the PNC box office in advance.  The NHL can't hire a web design/programming team to sell their own tickets?   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Seems like the attendance woes discussion has popped up for the past several years after the obligatory sellout of the opener because all STHs are required to buy tickets to that game. Then the bottom falls out. Unlike BD58, I am a public servant and do not make fat stacks. Nonetheless, I was a STH (11, 12 and sometimes 24 game plans) from 2007 until last year when my kid who attended games with me went off to college. I'll still go to 4 or 5 games this year. But some of the attendance problems have been self inflicted by the Canes. In 2007, parking was $7/game, then went to $10, then $15 and now $20. Season ticket prices and individual game prices are way up - certainly at a bad time going 8 years without playoffs. CONSISTENT winning will do a lot to increase attendance, but I do think a lot of people who have given up season tickets have spent their discretionary entertainment income elsewhere, and may simply not choose to come back. Hope I'm wrong about this.

When the team is sold the parking rate will go back down, that you can book. When it costs more to park - literally - than to get in on some special promo nights, that is another sign the org is trying to show revenue to justify a too-high selling price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I'm in tech and am under siege from off-shoring.  My wage+bonus is now less than in 2008.

 

Meanwhile, we know where the Canes and professional sports have gone.  It is very difficult to participate as an STHer due to the enormous cost.

 

What I'm seeing in sports is a few people with fat stacks buy season tickets and become resellers.  This is the trend, and the Millenials and Gen-Z eat it up, popping off $300 per ticket for a once-a-year kind of event.  At least that is how it goes in Chicago. 

 

Then the following weekend, those same people go downtown and march on the rich top %.  Even though they just paid a reseller to get them there.  Sigh.

 

This market is not big enough to make that work.  Yet.  Check that... This market is not consistently successful enough (I'm talking team results), to make that work, yet.

 

It is kind of sad, but really, that's how sports is trending.  A few lucky ones with fat stacks pay the team up front, and then become resellers to the rest of the world.  It shouldn't be this way, but it is.

Truer words were never, uh, keyed in. 

 

The arenas and ticket prices are too big, the fans are unwilling/unable to pay (most millennials work two jobs or more--if they're not required to be "on call" at all times in their one, part-time, gig) and the line between virtual and real gaming too blurred.

 

We are are headed for Rollerball, boys and girls, with pay-per-view fees and online comments from "fans" on a crawl at the bottom of the screen. Thanks for everything, Bill Gates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I wish everybody reported how they made fat stacks.

 

I'm a career public servant and don't make fat stacks, so I cannot participate.

Izzz got some fat stacks around my waist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the RTP area, I do not believe millennials do not have the money to be season ticket holders or are not able to afford to going to games regularly.  That is playing the victim card with some of the comments about how they work 4 jobs..  If you go into Finance, Technology, or Medical in some shape or form you will eventually do well if you play your cards right and do not get stuck in some sort of comfortable help desk position for 10 years.  I think if the team starts winning again fans will show up.  We live in a very good area of the country and the economy here really doesn't take massive hits like other places in the USA.

Edited by bluedevil58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame that having won 3 points in two games the focus has turned to attendance. I suppose it has become human nature to seek such stories but I was amazed to see many out of area media focusing on Tuesday nights attendance. Having accomplished a good start in October we now hit the road. How important is the road trip? I think this season it is very important.  We don't need another 500 road trip. It sure would be nice to grab 6 of the 8 points up for grabs. That would build some confidence in the fan base.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I specifically didn't weigh in yesterday because I figured it would go here.  But it did anyway so here I go.

 

My two cents is don't complain about attendance unless you are part of the solution.  Who are you expecting to fix the issue?  If you are a fan of the team then it is on you to make a difference.  Are you commanding others to pay to go to games so you can watch them for reseller rates?  Then you hand wring that the attendance is low but admit you don't buy tickets from the Canes.  Well you are a smart consumer then but a poor investor in your community. 

 

If you think this criticism is unfair and you should let the sheep go buy the tickets while you cleanup for half price, fair enough.  But slamming the Caniac nation for poor attendance goes against your whole premise.  You are basically criticizing yourself.

 

I have had season tix the whole time in Raleigh since I made a conscious decision to invest in the team.  I take a percentage of my life's income for this, because I want to see hockey in Raleigh, I love it that much.   I am NOT stupid, I know I could buy tickets cheaper through resellers.  You could take the perspective that I'm a stupid consumer.  In my opinion, that's why we'll have nothing but Walmart and franchised restaurants and our culture is disappearing.  If you have something you love, you should invest in it.

 

My 2 cents.  Opinions vary I know, and you are welcome to them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I specifically didn't weigh in yesterday because I figured it would go here.  But it did anyway so here I go.

 

My two cents is don't complain about attendance unless you are part of the solution.  Who are you expecting to fix the issue?  If you are a fan of the team then it is on you to make a difference.  Are you commanding others to pay to go to games so you can watch them for reseller rates?  Then you hand wring that the attendance is low but admit you don't buy tickets from the Canes.  Well you are a smart consumer then but a poor investor in your community. 

 

If you think this criticism is unfair and you should let the sheep go buy the tickets while you cleanup for half price, fair enough.  But slamming the Caniac nation for poor attendance goes against your whole premise.  You are basically criticizing yourself.

 

I have had season tix the whole time in Raleigh since I made a conscious decision to invest in the team.  I take a percentage of my life's income for this, because I want to see hockey in Raleigh, I love it that much.   I am NOT stupid, I know I could buy tickets cheaper through resellers.  You could take the perspective that I'm a stupid consumer.  In my opinion, that's why we'll have nothing but Walmart and franchised restaurants and our culture is disappearing.  If you have something you love, you should invest in it.

 

My 2 cents.  Opinions vary I know, and you are welcome to them.

 

I am not really complaining about low attendance.  I am more or less weighing in on my and probably a lot others perspective.  Start winning and more people will gladly pay and show up to games.  I want a quality product on the ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been either a 26 game or 14 game plan member beginning the Cup season and in that period have probably attended on average about 30 games a year in the lower bowl watching some good hockey but also alot of poor hockey. When I have been either a 12 or 14 game holder (depending on the year of the plan offer) I made up the additional 12-15 games buying off secondary market. It became annoying to discover people sitting beside me were paying 30-40% less buying off the secondary market. Who's laughing last here? The season ticket holder ostensibly supporting the team by paying more than the guy looking to get maximum bang for the buck buying from the secondary market? Supporting the team to miss the playoffs the last 8 years. Nice reward for loyalty. Paying more than one has to for the very same product makes no sense. Waddell talks trash about making tickets a full face value proposition. It simply isn't the case. So in the meantime STH get rogered like I did for 13 years. Over that time I have spent many thousands more than than the casual walk up fan with his discounted ticket. Enough. And I definitely agree with Caniac 1-1. Buying online from the Canes gets you re-routed to Ticketmaster to pay their add on fees on top of the full face value of the ticket? Thats just dumb when you can go to the other various resellers and buy the same ticket 30% discounted plus fees and come out ahead $ wise. Canes marketing/online ticket sales invites that behavior. Whatever. Just win. Canes look to be on the right path...

Edited by raleighcaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this discussion has one bright side.  I've learned I can no longer be cool, with it, in the club.

 

I've been throwing around the term "fat stacks" all morning among my Millenial co-workers, and finally one of them just gave me that: "Bro, don't try to be a bad grandpa" look.

 

Crap.  My life is over.  I can no longer be cool.  AND, I stopped earning fat stacks a while ago. 

 

Back to my hole...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoCaptainCrazy said:

That's ridiculous.  Its not the fans' job to be part of the solution.  Its not the fans' job to sell tickets!

 

I would think that a solution to attendance issues would have to involve fans at least at some level, but maybe that is just my ridiculous thoughts blocking me from seeing the truth. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Well, this discussion has one bright side.  I've learned I can no longer be cool, with it, in the club.

 

I've been throwing around the term "fat stacks" all morning among my Millenial co-workers, and finally one of them just gave me that: "Bro, don't try to be a bad grandpa" look.

 

Crap.  My life is over.  I can no longer be cool.  AND, I stopped earning fat stacks a while ago. 

 

Back to my hole...

 

Don't feel bad.  Yesterday a telco salesmen presented to us.  His opening line was "I used to work for company xyz and it was a great position because they paid the dog snot out of me and I hardly did any work,  I made some serious fat stacks."  By the way, the guy was a spitting image of Tommy Boy's dad.  See below.  Seriously.MV5BODIzOTk5ODcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

 

Don't feel bad.  Yesterday a telco salesmen presented to us.  His opening line was "I used to work for company xyz and it was a great position because they paid the dog snot out of me and I hardly did any work,  I made some serious fat stacks."  By the way, the guy was a spitting image of Tommy Boy's dad.  See below.  Seriously.MV5BODIzOTk5ODcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcz

 

HA HA HA!  I'm embarrassed for us old guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So living out of town, I usually only make it to a handful of games a year (I watch all the others on NHL.TV). Since I want to have tickets in-hand before going to games, I've traditionally bought them on StubHub. I'm starting to think I should support the organization more directly by going to the box office. The ticket prices on the Canes' website for the bronze games are a pretty good deal for upper-level. Am I correct in saying that buying tickets on TicketMaster supports the org, but StubHub does not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bluedevil and Mrs Bluedevil?

 

main-qimg-3d72e6ebb8e81d588da225e9dc6087

 

I keed! I keed! Cannot resist a Breaking Bad reference.

 

I've seen it estimated that block valued at around $50 million if it were real.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FS58, I think of your posts projecting more of this guy's persona.  Cam Newton is close though.  Congratulations.  Attendance something something. 

 

kane.JPG.3592d5715e1b096a38ab2fb4e9c3f30c.JPG

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t like seeing the sparse crowd last night personally. It was quite a drastic drop-off from Saturday night for obvious reasons. However I know seats are not going to be filled overnight regardless of the hype of this season. I also don’t care what Canadian media says about our attendance. Media fodder at best...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

FS58, I think of your posts projecting more of this guy's persona.  Cam Newton is close though.  Congratulations.  Attendance something something. 

 

kane.JPG.3592d5715e1b096a38ab2fb4e9c3f30c.JPG

(FS58) Bwahahah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It Always amazes me when this topic is brought up.. how many of the most vocal people are not even going to the games or season ticket holders..

 

Just saying

 

ps- yes I am a season ticket holder..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...