The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Attendance discussion

gocanes0506

I started this thread to have an attendance focus area

Message added by gocanes0506

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:11 PM, raleighcaniac said:

I have been either a 26 game or 14 game plan member beginning the Cup season and in that period have probably attended on average about 30 games a year in the lower bowl watching some good hockey but also alot of poor hockey. When I have been either a 12 or 14 game holder (depending on the year of the plan offer) I made up the additional 12-15 games buying off secondary market. It became annoying to discover people sitting beside me were paying 30-40% less buying off the secondary market. Who's laughing last here? The season ticket holder ostensibly supporting the team by paying more than the guy looking to get maximum bang for the buck buying from the secondary market? Supporting the team to miss the playoffs the last 8 years. Nice reward for loyalty. Paying more than one has to for the very same product makes no sense. Waddell talks trash about making tickets a full face value proposition. It simply isn't the case. So in the meantime STH get rogered like I did for 13 years. Over that time I have spent many thousands more than than the casual walk up fan with his discounted ticket. Enough. And I definitely agree with Caniac 1-1. Buying online from the Canes gets you re-routed to Ticketmaster to pay their add on fees on top of the full face value of the ticket? Thats just dumb when you can go to the other various resellers and buy the same ticket 30% discounted plus fees and come out ahead $ wise. Canes marketing/online ticket sales invites that behavior. Whatever. Just win. Canes look to be on the right path...

Not sure I am understanding your rant- As a STH, you get the tickets at a 30-50% discount from face value depending on the game( more for the gold games with this crazy pricing tiers).. so not sure how people are sitting next to you with an additional 30%-40% less?? I sure have not seen secondary tickets going for 70% of face value. That tickets sell on the secondary market for up to 30% less then face value makes sense, for STH looking to just recoup their investment and these people next to you just at your cost

Just checked on some of the most popular options

fan zone- $16 (sth) $25 face.. 36% less

lower level north ( sth) $51, 82 face.. 38% less

lower level south (sth) 60, 92 face.. 35% less

center ice (sth) 116.. 160 face  28% less

For tomorrow night's game, there are Center Ice (ticketmaster $149.10 +  fees, full-season ticket price $116) on secondary markets for $65 + fees. 

I think it mostly depends on weekend vs. weekday, but there's no question that there are often much cheaper options than being an STH for a team struggling with attendance.

I've been a STH since 2008, and been able to find what I consider unique values over the years.

But this year's offer for $1997 in section 101 was really pretty amazing offer. I'm really surprised more people didn't do it (though it seems to be sold out now).

The breaks down to around $46/game for a center ice, shoots twice, unobstructed view. Those seats are typically $75/seat, and seats just across the aisle are $92 each. True it's not a dead center view, but it's not bad and I have access to the club level and the center ice concessions for the price of an upper deck seat.

My main concern: they might not keep it going for next year.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, remkin said:

My main concern: they might not keep it going for next year.

If they look at who bought them, and determined they brought in significantly more new STH than cannibalizing existing sales, I'd guess the basic deal might come back in different packaging.  

It would be my luck to buy a ticket plan that didn't have playoff priority just in time for them to actually make it there again. 

• Like 1

I guarantee that if they make the playoffs there will be tickets, at least at the start.

Funny thing is that they said they want it to look fuller in that section on TV. But then they mostly only offered seats high in the section (actually a better view, so I'm not complaining) but the camera rarely pans that high.

Just disappointing to see thousands of empty lower bowl seats where the cameras are stationed. Last nights game was no exception.  The crowd during ongoing play looked like the intermission crowd in so many other cities.  Carolina by far isn't the only club with attendance woes but as of this moment we're second last in attendance this season with AZ dead last. The big picture concern I have is that the year over year culture of losing has just turned off/turned away so many possible fans when for many the dollars are already tight to begin with.  Being required to fork out $20 for parking is a big ouch.  Winning consistently and scoring 4 or more goals a game would be a big help but the issues may be more than that at this point.  Last night fans that attended had just one opportunity to get out of their seats and high 5 and thats not enough to bring in a family at that cost.

I don't know the official numbers but last night was an improvement for a Tuesday game over what it has been for weeknight games, and on a night where we didn't bring in opposing fans.  I personally noted it was better.  It was likely because this is only the 3rd home game but still, better.

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

but the issues may be more than that at this point.

They are. They exist throughout pro sports, and will only get worse, especially in non-traditional markets. $20 bucks for parking? That says it all.

If I'm Greenberg, I'm investing in wheat futures, pork bellies--anything but sports. 

4 hours ago, hag65 said:

I don't know the official numbers but last night was an improvement for a Tuesday game over what it has been for weeknight games, and on a night where we didn't bring in opposing fans.  I personally noted it was better.  It was likely because this is only the 3rd home game but still, better.

Attendance was way higher than I thought it would be last night. I'm a new fan, only been to a handful of games, but I was impressed with the turn out when the puck dropped. 

Echoing some sentiments on here...Not a fan of the $20 parking either. Been to three Canes games this year and while I try my best to support the team via attendance, parking price at PNC is a gouge. 

• Like 1

I won't pay the parking, never have.  I use this as the chance to get exercise with the long walk from the office park.  19 years.

Edited by hag65

I’m open for parking alternatives ( free or cheap) given I won’t get towed. If I don’t have to pay for parking, I might be able to afford a bottle of water at the game! ?

22 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

I’m open for parking alternatives ( free or cheap) given I won’t get towed. If I don’t have to pay for parking, I might be able to afford a bottle of water at the game! ?

You should have a PM.

On 11/2/2017 at 10:50 AM, hag65 said:

I won't pay the parking, never have.  I use this as the chance to get exercise with the long walk from the office park.  20 years.

Dang. You walked to Greensboro?

• Like 1

I don’t think the shots from the TV angles give good perception of the crowd. I was there for both games last weekend -  Friday night vs STL and Sunday 5 PM vs ANA.  Both games were comparable to what I saw in person last season. I knew people wouldn’t be packing PNC right away until they see some trend this franchise is serious about winning and... actually doing it. Sunday I sat upper deck and the empty seats are glaringly noticeable. Disappointed but not deterred...

If all goes well I hope to make it in town in time for the Rangers game Thanksgiving Eve. If anyone has ever been on I-95 on an afternoon before a major holiday when the entire East Coast decides to hit the road at the same time, you know what I'm talking about.  The bad news is that I will probably be sitting with a couple of folks wearing blue shirts.  Don't leave me hanging fellow fans!

On 11/2/2017 at 6:04 PM, surfzone365 said:

Many people use Cardinal Gibbons High School directly across the street from the PNC.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

XM radio was talking relocation today. They said the most likely teams were Fla., Arizona, and the Canes. 

Some things never change. Now if they start talking the Rangers relocating I will tune in

Well, Don Cherry mentioned in the last Coach's Corner that Ottawa could move to Quebec...and another rumor out of Canuckistan has the Calgary Flames relocating to Houston.