The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Attendance discussion

gocanes0506

I started this thread to have an attendance focus area

Message added by gocanes0506

On 1/13/2018 at 11:58 AM, remkin said:

Not sure about tomorrow, but the games after the break will have lower bowl discounts available for the entire homestand.

The entire lower bowl, other than rows 1 and 2, are $40 a seat for a month.  Anywhere.  Dead center ice row C for $40 if those seats weren't already sold. 

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/tickets/fanuary-flash-sale 

Clearly they think the full arena not only improves the STH experience, but also helps the team win, and are hoping folks who committed to the team a year ago with thousands of dollars in advance don't mind being surrounded by people who wavered and waited for a better ticket price, and got it.

Edited by caniac-1-1

2 hours ago, caniac-1-1 said:

The entire lower bowl, other than rows 1 and 2, are $40 a seat for a month.  Anywhere.  Dead center ice row C for $40 if those seats weren't already sold.  

Clearly they think the full arena not only improves the STH experience, but also helps the team win, and are hoping folks who committed to the team a year ago with thousands of dollars in advance don't mind being surrounded by people who wavered and waited for a better ticket price, and got

Where are you seeing pricing for $40.00? Is that though the box office only?

2 hours ago, caniac-1-1 said:

Clearly they think the full arena not only improves the STH experience, but also helps the team win, and are hoping folks who committed to the team a year ago withthousands of dollars in advance don't mind being surrounded by people who wavered and waited for a better ticket price, and got

I received 4 vouchers.  Good move by the front office to not screw over STM's.  That's $800 in value for me.  y u complain? 

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

As a full season ticket holder in center ice, I have to say I do feel a bit "screwed over".   Eleven games is 25 percent of the season!  Vouchers to bring friends and family are nice, but they don't help my pocketbook.   I would have preferred, in addition to vouchers, a dollar amount or a percentage discount off my renewal for next year.  I also hope  STH prices will be down across the board next season.

I love the enthusiasm for filling the arena.  I also have no problem offering discounts to the general public to accomplish this.   I just wish they had taken better care of the people who have stuck by them.   They also need to be careful with pricing.  Once you offer these kind of prices (now on two occasions this season), people will come to expect them.    If they are planning on severely reducing season ticket prices for next season, I guess that won't be a problem.

• Like 1

Cathy I can understand the issue with those prices. 

It is a philosophical issue in sports.  If attendance is garbage do you reduce the price at the risk of value loss to people who already bought tickets or do leave them empty.  And so on and so on with each point you made.

The Canes have to build the fan base back up and its the only way, at this point.  I bet we’d see lower prices next season.

1 hour ago, cathyl111 said:

As a full season ticket holder in center ice, I have to say I do feel a bit "screwed over".   Eleven games is 25 percent of the season!  Vouchers to bring friends and family are nice, but they don't help my pocketbook.   I would have preferred, in addition to vouchers, a dollar amount or a percentage discount off my renewal for next year.  I also hope  STH prices will be down across the board next season.

I love the enthusiasm for filling the arena.  I also have no problem offering discounts to the general public to accomplish this.   I just wish they had taken better care of the people who have stuck by them.   They also need to be careful with pricing.  Once you offer these kind of prices (now on two occasions this season), people will come to expect them.    If they are planning on severely reducing season ticket prices for next season, I guess that won't be a problem.

Somewhat agree, but willing to give Dundon his chance.  I don't doubt he's fan friendly and knows the value of STH/M.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I received 4 vouchers.  Good move by the front office to not screw over STM's.  That's $800 in value for me.  y u complain? 

Where did I complain?  I'm not even an STH this year.  I just expect that giving extra seats for people who already have seats isn't quite the same benefit as getting to pay only $40 for better seats to about one-quarter of the season.  Just guessing.

1 hour ago, wa1010 said:

When was the last time ticket prices went down year over year?

When was the last time we had a new owner intent on making the venue more fan friendly though?

22 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

When was the last time we had a new owner intent on making the venue more fan friendly though?

ok, let's increase payroll next year, improve training facilities and decrease ticket prices.  Does that make sense?

Edited by wa1010

4 hours ago, wa1010 said:

ok, let's increase payroll next year, improve training facilities and decrease ticket prices.  Does that make sense?

Does increasing payroll, improving a training facility, and keeping the prices the same while playing in front of a 8k crowd make sense either?  If we dont make the playoffs and/or make a franchise altering acquisition this offseason, we will be looking at very low crowd numbers again with the same prices.  

Edited by gocanes0506

The homestand will be a very interesting experiment in this very question.

The supply and demand on the best, but most expensive, seats tells the tale to me. When there are no deep discounts, vast blocks of center ice seats are vacant. If people do fill the place they fill the lower priced seats in the corners and rafters.

But Dundon is dropping the price of these really good seats for this upcoming homestand. I'm betting it works. Pay attention to attendance in those center ice lower bowl seats, and then also total attendance for the homestand, bearing in mind that

Right now, if you want to attend say one special game and you want to sit just off center between the blue lines that $165/seat, $330 for two, $660 for 4. The demand for these seats at that price is very low, and so the most visible part of the crowd is empty. If you don't want to sit in nose bleeds or look through the netting, you just don't go.

But say you do plunk down $330 for two seats. You get there and no one is there. No, worse, there are 5,000 Penguin fans there. The team got your full price $330, but what are the odds you ever come back? No, you buy great seats to a Journey concert or Phantom of the Opera, or some other similarly priced thing that at least delivers an experience worthy of the price.

TBH, even if the team is playing very well, only a percentage of any fan base is so dialed into the game that the fact that the place is sparsely attended and dead may matter less. But even the diehard hockey fans like us enjoy it more when the place is full and rocking.  Actually when you are going to plunk down big bucks for an top tiered sporting event, part of the appeal IS that you expect a Pro Team level crowd and experience.

When the place is full the place becomes fun. And if there are other aspects that make you feel you got a good experience? You'll come back, and eventually maybe even buy a ticket package, and maybe even become a full STH. The building is full of CANES fans, it's rocking, that is a really good experience.

If you build it they will come? Well if you build it and price it fairly they will come, and as they come, the experience improves, and more come and eventually you can price it higher. But even if you don't, you've got a great product.

It's an interesting topic.  I've worked on some dynamic price modeling software for an unnamed-but-nearby MLB franchise.  My personal favorite model involved different base prices for certain games against popular opponents (which the Canes did for a while, but backed off of it), and the dynamic price changes on an hourly basis right up to game time, based on how full a section is.  For pricing purposes, sections are not only vertical slices of the arena, but also blocks of seats grouped by their distance to the ice.  Season ticket holders are given a price per seat that can't be exceeded, but can be discounted if the dynamic pricing for their section drops below the STH price.

Edited by caniac-1-1

Those numbers may contain a ray of hope.  If I did my ciphering right, we're trending up significantly from the start of the season.

If we were averaging 11,361 over the first 10 games, we must have averaged 14,273 over the next 10 to get to our average of 12,817 for the full 20.  Still a long way to go, but those numbers fit my perception that attendance has been a lot better lately (disclaimer: that's just from watching tv).  And Dundon seems committed to boosting it even more.

Edited by LakeLivin

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, coastal_caniac said:

I received 4 vouchers.  Good move by the front office...

...and cost the organization absolutely nothing.  Reward the STH's with seats that were not going to be sold anyway.  Win/win

I split my Season Tickets, so when the Canes offer cheap center ice tickets I will actually use them to buy more games and sit in better seats. But I'd certainly get it if a few STH who go to every game, and bought seats in the upper deck, see anyone, including fans of the other team able to buy seats at dead center ice lower bowl for less.

And if you happened to pay $238 for two season tickets dead center lower, and now someone can show up and buy the seat next to your for an 11 game mini pack stretch for $80 for two seats? Theoretically paying $1739 less for the same seats? That is not offset by 4 vouchers. BTW if you sit in less desirable seats, the vouchers are for those seats.

I think that the team needs to do more for the STH to make that right.

That said, I just bought tickets for two games dead center lower bowl for $40/ticket.

And that said, it will work. Once word gets out that you can now sit center ice, lower bowl for the price of upper deck against the back wall tickets? I really think it's going to fill in the lower bowl which is going to be a very good thing. Also the place the camera pans. Attendance numbers will go up too.

Every year the Canes offer a few games at $50/seat lower center to STH only. But this is to everyone. And it's $40. It really is an insanely good value.

Been trying for the last hour to assign my Fan-uary vouchers.  Tried 3 different browsers.  All I get is "loading".    So, yeah, I'd like to help fill the bowl.  Won't happen if Tickmaster is broken.

loading.JPG

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I split my Season Tickets, so when the Canes offer cheap center ice tickets I will actually use them to buy more games and sit in better seats. But I'd certainly get it if a few STH who go to every game, and bought seats in the upper deck, see anyone, including fans of the other team able to buy seats at dead center ice lower bowl for less.

And if you happened to pay $238 for two season tickets dead center lower, and now someone can show up and buy the seat next to your for an 11 game mini pack stretch for $80 for two seats? Theoretically paying $1739 less for the same seats? That is not offset by 4 vouchers. BTW if you sit in less desirable seats, the vouchers are for those seats.

I think that the team needs to do more for the STH to make that right.

That said, I just bought tickets for two games dead center lower bowl for $40/ticket.

And that said, it will work. Once word gets out that you can now sit center ice, lower bowl for the price of upper deck against the back wall tickets? I really think it's going to fill in the lower bowl which is going to be a very good thing. Also the place the camera pans. Attendance numbers will go up too.

Every year the Canes offer a few games at $50/seat lower center to STH only. But this is to everyone. And it's $40. It really is an insanely good value.

I think the 40 to 60 range foe lower center ice is a fair price and what the.market will bare. 

40 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Been trying for the last hour to assign my Fan-uary vouchers.  Tried 3 different browsers.  All I get is "loading".    So, yeah, I'd like to help fill the bowl.  Won't happen if Tickmaster is broken.

loading.JPG

Every time I have tried Caniac Account Manager to use a voucher or "manage seats" I also get the loading wheel.

Too bad I'm not the only one who is stuck and finds this function useless.  You get all the way to managing your seats until you have to pick one and the wheel takes over.

This sux

Edited by coastal_caniac