Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hag65

Hagmetrics 2.0: Simplest way to 'how we doin'

Recommended Posts

The regression is beautiful.  It shows how one brutal month (Dec, 4-8-1) can darn near sink a team.  Took over 2 months to recover, and then that just gets back to the norm.  Gotta fight to stay above 0.600 after that to stay in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A couple of things looking back on SCS.
 
At our darkest hour, December 28, our playoff chances were in single digits (I think around 5-7%, or lower). 
 
The graph is here and worth looking at (I couldn't seem to get it to move to this post).
What an amazing run.
 
Back when Hag opened this thread back up for this year, the projection for the East, was that 96 points gave you an 88.4% chance of getting in. Unfortunately for Montreal, the 11.6 % downside happened. At that time in the west, you got a 92% chance with just 91 points. And that wasn't even low enough as 90 was the cut line (vs 98 in the East). That's just sick. 
 
When we were facing these very long odds at the start of the year, people would say, "we need to go 24-10, or 30-13", or some insane thing. The first crazy thing is that it did indeed take a sick run. The second: We did it. By my count since December 28, we went 31-12-2. That is over 45 games, over half the season. That is who this team is. Another fun thing to do is click on this link, and scroll the page down to that win on Dec 31, and scroll down to see the visual of the green W's vs red L's. It's pretty impressive: http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/schedule/_/name/car/seasontype/2
 
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 5:08 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

Les Habitants will collapse. It's what they do.

 

Top called it, middle of Feb.  He is the winner.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, remkin said:
. Another fun thing to do is click on this link, and scroll the page down to that win on Dec 31, and scroll down to see the visual of the green W's vs red L's. It's pretty impressive: http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/schedule/_/name/car/seasontype/2
 

 

What I cannot believe is that we went 5 weeks (Nov 24th to December 29th) and earned only 10 points.   And only 22 points in two months (October 24th - December 29).  That is really bad.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

 

What I cannot believe is that we went 5 weeks (Nov 24th to December 29th) and earned only 10 points.   And only 22 points in two months (October 24th - December 29).  That is really bad.   

 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/schedule/_/name/was/seasontype/2

 

December 31 - February 3.   8 pts.   Everyone slumps, it's what you do the rest of the time.  If you slump you had better streak.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hag65 said:

 

Top called it, middle of Feb.  He is the winner.

What do I win, what do I win??? A week in the Fat Stacks mansion? (Second prize is two weeks?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

What do I win, what do I win??? A week in the Fat Stacks mansion? (Second prize is two weeks?)

 

A set of steak knives.  The rest of you are all...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all fairness to Montreal, I wouldn't exactly call that a collapse.  They ended up with 96 points, finishing with 9 of 14 possible points against a killer schedule:  Canes, Fla, CBJ, Jets, Bolts, Caps, and Leafs.  I expected them to drop out way sooner than they did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

In all fairness to Montreal, I wouldn't exactly call that a collapse.  They ended up with 96 points, finishing with 9 of 14 possible points against a killer schedule:  Canes, Fla, CBJ, Jets, Bolts, Caps, and Leafs.  I expected them to drop out way sooner than they did.

True...they fought til the bitter end.  Would’ve rather had them in over the BJ’s...as they would’ve given Tampa more of a fight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had Montreal made it, every single current- and former-Canes coach would have made it to the playoffs this year.  Part of me is disappointed that didn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

In all fairness to Montreal, I wouldn't exactly call that a collapse. 

They were in a playoff spot, 10 games above NHL .500, and fourth in the conference at the All-Star Break--and finished ninth, and on the outside looking in. If I'm a Habs fan, I'm saying they collapsed. 

 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Potato, potahto. They were in a playoff spot, 10 games above NHL .500 at the All-Star Break, and couldn't hold onto it.

 

It's what they do. 

 

We all have our own interpretation.  But here's the reason I even mentioned mine:  To my ears, saying the Habs collapsed implies that the race came down to the Habs losing a playoff spot.  I'm of the belief that it was more a matter of the Canes winning a spot (and same with the CBJ, who won 7 of their last 8). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was an absolutely insane race. Every team just kept winning. Even more impressive that we came out on top of the three main teams in the running and even came one late goal away from catching Pittsburgh to boot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

 

We all have our own interpretation.  But here's the reason I even mentioned mine:  To my ears, saying the Habs collapsed implies that the race came down to the Habs losing a playoff spot.  I'm of the belief that it was more a matter of the Canes winning a spot (and same with the CBJ, who won 7 of their last 8). 

Looks like I edited mine while you were replying, but in case you missed it, I'm saying if I'm a Habs fan, I think feel like my team collapsed in going from fourth in the conference to ninth. They did that in two short months.

 

I get that the race looked hard to us, and that the East is a tough Conference. But we made it hard on ourselves early and clawed back. The Habs made it hard on themselves late, i.e., were not up to the intensity, while we and (until very late) Philly thrived on it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...