The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
raleighcaniac

To Trade, or not to trade

On 12/2/2017 at 2:25 PM, Manwolf said:

Darling is just a big body.  His rebound control is poor as is his glove.  He apparently can't handle the puck.  Say what you want about Ward, but he's s skilled goalie in controlling what goes on out there.

Yeah all those wins he piled up.

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Im sure Ottawa would undo their trade as well 

Duchene- 2 points in 10 games 

Turris- 11 points in 11 games 

At this point, yes. Not only that, but Ottawa is in a tailspin at 2-7-1 in their last 10. The caveat is always that it's still too soon to be sure how Duchene ends up as he gets used to a trapping bore-fest of a team.

Those stats make one wonder if we could have gotten Turris. Good heart and soul guy who put up 27 goals and 55 points on a defense first trapping team last year. Of course Turris' deal depended on him re-signing, so he'd have had to want to have come here, so who knows?

These deals we want Francis to make are uncommon, and several factors go into them. But since he's been at the helm, Johansen, Duchene, Turris, Drouin, Phil Kessel, Taylor Hall, and more have been moved. I'm not saying we want all of them, but Nashville has gotten two centers. The time or deal has just not been right I guess, but we can't wait for Necas or Stempniak to ride in this year.

• Like 1

I continue to guess that at least a big part of Francis not finding the right move is that our more obvious trade chips, (LHD not named Slavin), have been filled with guys who's upside far outweighs the return we've probably been offered. That issue also plays into the idea of trading Faulk: If Fleury was not really ready and Hanifin slid backwards, trading Faulk could undo our gains on the back end. Well now, at least from our end, I dare say that both Hanifin and Fleury have stepped up their games.

I really really wonder what Faulk would bring back. In theory Fleury is tradeable, but with so few games under his belt, I just can't imagine we'd get the return we need. And Hanifin might be gaining status, but as his offense starts arriving, it simultaneously makes him more valuable, but also Faulk more expendable.

The age old buy low - sell high thing may be rearing it's head. The previous three seasons Faulk averaged .22 goals/game. Based on that, he should have 6 goals now instead of 1. I have to think 5 more goals likely gets us 2-3 more points in the standings right now, but besides that, it leaves us selling at least a little low. Of course the irony is that if Faulk's shots started finding twine, people would want to keep him. Hence the difficulty of selling high. But the GM has to see past that.

To me this points out how much this team needs a few of Faulk's bombs to go in. Since he takes so many shots, since we need the goals, and to renew his trade value.

I still think a move like that is needed. It's going to be tough to move up the standings on this killer road trip. Only NJ, and Toronto have that kind of road record in the East. And this is a harder, west coast trip. Of course I'm right there hoping for an unlikely winning record on this trip, but there is also a chance that things get more desperate. I hope Francis is working the phones.

At this point, waiting on Francis to make the big move is like waiting for dry paint to get wet again. But what choice is there?

With Ottawa potentially selling the big names how about some options:

Hoffman 

for 

Faulk  

allows Ottawa to move Karlsson without much angst.  They also dont want to suck too bad or Colorado gets a good pick in the 2019 draft.  Maybe get Ceci as well if we include a good prospect, Ryan, and a 2019 1st.

Yeah I'd do it. Hoffman is a pretty good example of a guy we could use. Not a center but a finisher with speed. This guy is a sniper who picks the corners and has serious accuracy. 30 goal guy typically last few years. Amazing accuracy from outside the dots, good for a team that doesn't get inside there. Will go to the net too though. Also seems to score a lot of PP goals which we could also use. Signed for 2 more years after this.

50 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah I'd do it. Hoffman is a pretty good example of a guy we could use. Not a center but a finisher with speed. This guy is a sniper who picks the corners and has serious accuracy. 30 goal guy typically last few years. Amazing accuracy from outside the dots, good for a team that doesn't get inside there. Will go to the net too though. Also seems to score a lot of PP goals which we could also use. Signed for 2 more years after this.

He wouldn't hurt the team but he isn't a priority for what we need. LW really isn't a weak spot as much as RW or center. RW is weak and about to get weaker if we move Aho to center next year. Without Stempniak that leaves us with Willy at RW. Others may fill RW  but it is not their natural position. If we ever get a true 1C we could leave Aho at RW. We have a few untested RW in Charlotte but to risky IMO.

I'm no expert on Hoffman, but I think he can play both wings. I watched a video of all of his goals from last year and a lot of them came from the right wing. In fact he seems pretty deadly from there.

Once the Christmas freeze and the sale is done, please, please, please make some trades.  This bunch needs...

3056993218_8845c6f037_b.jpg

...some heart and some courage, which is sorely lacking.  If we can't get Dorothy to take them to Oz, then head em up, and move em out.

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Once the Christmas freeze and the sale is done, please, please, please make some trades.  This bunch needs...

3056993218_8845c6f037_b.jpg

...some heart and some courage, which is sorely lacking.  If we can't get Dorothy to take them to Oz, then head em up, and move em out.

I'm pretty sure the way the guys are skating they could use the oil can too.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:25 PM, remkin said:

I'm no expert on Hoffman, but I think he can play both wings. I watched a video of all of his goals from last year and a lot of them came from the right wing. In fact he seems pretty deadly from there.

On Hoffman, am I correct in thinking he had off season surgery on shoulder labrum this past year? If so, thats a procedure that takes a long time to heal. Thus, would he be useful now? I ask because I don't follow Ottawa too closely.

And to drive a final stake in the heart of one dream, forget about trading for John Tavares. I know this is old news, but apparently NYI is going to be lodged in a new $1billion dollar arena on the Island. Kiss that dream goodby. 1C fantasy remains just that. Happy Holidays, one and all

Forslund is around the team and talks to Francis. The most recent Francis interview really sounded like more of the same: this team has the parts basically.

Francis does play his cards close, so he could be on the verge of a huge deal and probably say we have the parts still.  It is impossible to know if Francis has a tell that might indicate a major deal is coming because really, he's never made one.

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

On Hoffman, am I correct in thinking he had off season surgery on shoulder labrum this past year? If so, thats a procedure that takes a long time to heal. Thus, would he be useful now? I ask because I don't follow Ottawa too closely.

I can’t find anything on the google.

the team needs to evaluate Lindholm and Rask to decide who they want to keep.  They are close to the same player.  We don’t need both. Trade 1.

Need to move Aho to center and put Ryan on the wing or in the clubhouse.

Kruger should be moved in the offseason

Do you guys think anyone has any interest in Faulk? Has he actually played himself out of a trade?

I'm not blaming this whole thing on him at all. Darling for one has more to do with things, but this move has gone from obvious to achingly obvious if any return were there.

19 hours ago, remkin said:

Do you guys think anyone has any interest in Faulk? Has he actually played himself out of a trade?

I don't think NHL scounts and GMs are a fickle as the fans.  I doubt he had as much value as some thought last summer and I don't think he has as little value as most think now.  I don't think he was ever going to return a top line forward (by himself).

That said, I doubt any teams are hounding Francis about trading for Faulk,  There's probably a fair amount of mild interest but no one is going to put a silly deal together because they have to have Faulk.

Overall the return would be probably not be much.  I can't imagine a early round draft pick or a top line player coming back in any deal for him.  From GMRFs perspective, why make a move then?  Trading him for a draft pick is going to look like the start of a firesale and tick some fans off.  Trading him for a 2nd or 3rd line player doesn't really improve the team much.  We're rather chock full of 2nd and 3rd line players.  Addition by subtraction?  maybe.

I hope I'm wrong but this is why I can't really see a move getting made.  I don't believe any of our current players would return the level of player this team needs.  It really feels like we're stuck with making the best with what we have.

3 hours ago, wa1010 said:

Addition by subtraction?

There was a time i would have said that, but at this point if Francis traded away every addition-by-subtraction player, there wouldn't be too many players left.

Faulk has 200 pts as a DMan.  He is #3 on the Canes all time list for DMen.

I was shocked he is #3.

He is worth more than we think, I reckon.

• Like 1

The jury is still out on Rask, but I’d like to see Lindholm at center. We drafted him as a center, and passed over Monahan, a pretty good one, to take him. He already takes a lot of face offs, and seems like he is playing by far the best of his career. Then, if Aho is going to move to center, I could see moving Rask. But that contract ...

Maybe it’s not the time to trade Faulk with his offensive numbers so far below what he has shown he can do, but to get the right player, we have lots of assets to package with Faulk in Charlotte (maybe a couple in Raleigh) or juniors or even picks. As we get closer to the end of his contract, I would assume that would also lessen his value.

Trade dreams, coaching changes, underachievers, 3 - 6 points below the cut line, softies, salary cap, inconsistent play, PK, JR, RF, BP and its same here, year in and year out. Of course not to forget the endless battle of which one of us knows the most..;) Nonetheless,, Wanted to wish all you who have nothing better to do than come here to express your passion. Cause you (we)  are a Canes addicted, hockey loving bunch of fanatics!!!!!!!!!  MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

• Like 2