The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
raleighcaniac

To Trade, or not to trade

On 12/20/2017 at 12:42 PM, KJUNKANE said:

And to drive a final stake in the heart of one dream, forget about trading for John Tavares. I know this is old news, but apparently NYI is going to be lodged in a new $1billion dollar arena on the Island. Kiss that dream goodby. 1C fantasy remains just that. Happy Holidays, one and all

JT will most likely stay but the new arena is two years away. Does he wait 2 tears?

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

JT will most likely stay but the new arena is two years away. Does he wait 2 tears?

Good point slap, my heart says NO, but my head says YES? Oh well, it's a good Christmas wish anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Of course not to forget the endless battle of which one of us knows the most..;) ....!  MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

The "which one" has been settled by at least one poster ;) 

Merry Christmas PP, and everyone (you too that knows the most).

Sounds nice. We need an overhaul on centers this trade deadline or offseason.  

Kruger, Ryan, and Rask all need to be replaced.  

We have Wallmark to replace Kruger

Does Aho and Kuokkanen replace the other 2 or do we get someone?

I know it's a pipe dream, but Tavares would solve everything except goalie.

So many options would open up, including trading forwards with the pipeline of guys like Necas, Kuokkanen, Foegele, Wallmark, Zykov, Roy, Gauthier, and more....

Really going to need top notch facilities to help attract top notch players through free agency. He might come if we throw cash at him but it'd be nice to have the infrastructure to make us look good too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Build a practice facility and sign JT...plan the parade(s).

That is starting to sound like a plan.  if we only had a billionaire owner who could build a practice facility and not blink an eye...

12 hours ago, hag65 said:

That is starting to sound like a plan.  if we only had a billionaire owner who could build a practice facility and not blink an eye...

Now who could do that for us?

latest?cb=20150912163825

Edited by legend-1

JT would be the ultimate prize, but switching directions for just a sec during this dead period. Should he be too much of a reach, where would be the next best position to fill be for this team, of course I'm not thinking of goalie for now? I know top has suggested Landeskrog for quite a bit now, but does anyone know who might be a "close 2nd" to JT, and who's needs replacing from top 3 or 6?

11 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

JT would be the ultimate prize, but switching directions for just a sec during this dead period. Should he be too much of a reach, where would be the next best position to fill be for this team, of course I'm not thinking of goalie for now? I know top has suggested Landeskrog for quite a bit now, but does anyone know who might be a "close 2nd" to JT, and who's needs replacing from top 3 or 6?

RW- Stone of Ottawa maybe?

leader & experienced defender to replace the defender we trade.  We need someone to give these young guys some direction.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

RW- Stone of Ottawa maybe?

leader & experienced defender to replace the defender we trade.  We need someone to give these young guys some direction.

gocanes, I follow the 2nd part of your thought, but not sure I do the 1st, "the defender we trade"? Not sure who this means, and more importantly, for whom? Elaborate please.

Further, I get that Ottawa is currently in a "free fall" of sorts, and likely will consider a rebuild at some point, but not sure Stone is in those plans unless you've seen it discussed somewhere? With regards to my earlier comments, Tavares certainly has been discussed ad infinitum, thus could be a possibility(please hockey gods), but my thoughts ran to the likelihood that he doesn't choose to leave NYI, and if so, who amongst our top 3-6 is the weakest link needing replacement, and what player is out there, AVAILABLE, and MIGHT BE SOUGHT OUT?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Kjun

my assumption is we trade one of our defenders to acquire anything that isn’t a bottom 6 player.  Not sure who we trade but it is our stongest depth.

Stone- may or may not be available.  Ottawa is contemplating fire sale.  Their obvious names are Hoffman, Ryan, Phaneuf, Brassard, and couple of others.  The only one worth mentioning as an addition is Hoffman.  He is a LW who can play center. Great addition but our weakness is on the right side or down the middle.  Brassard is a risk. He has one year left and puts up solid 2C numbers except for last year, 39.  

It is fairly vague who is available outside of Kane from Buffalo and the ones mentioned from Ottawa.  

We have 3 teams that look to be definite sellers Ottawa, Buffalo, and Arizona.  All other teams are within a 3-4 game win streak of the 3rd place team within the division.

Arizona has Brad Richardson (RW and 6 points) Raanta, and a couple of bottom pairing defenders becoming UFA.  

Buffalo has a couple of guys becoming UFA and may consider tearing it down.  I don’t know ROR is one though.  Buffalo realized how weak they are down the middle against us last game when he was out.

Ottawa- Hoffman or Brassard.  

Hoffman is couple of years younger and has one more year on his deal.  About the same point scorer as Brassard.

other those 3 teams it is hard to know who is willing to move a player.  The standings need to open up more before we could truly guess.

It's going to be interesting if big ole meatheads like Dion Phanuef start becoming premier (or even just decent) players again with interference calls clearly on the downfall. I feel like we've struggled against the meatier teams with this big unannounced rules change. Hooking also isn't being called to near the extent it has in the past but isn't as much of a stick in the eye as interference. It seems like we're trending back to 90's fat guy hockey.

The question I have, is JT supposed to be James Taylor or Justin Timberlake?  I'm a big James Taylor fan, but he has to be on the downside of his career. 

I will say this. The Canes can match just about any offer for Tavares. We have the cap space even before the cap goes up to put him just under McDavid money. I'm not saying we'd need to, but this guy is worth pulling out the checkbook and using that cap space. I know we have a history of bad big contracts, but what is it worth to be a perennial cup contender starting....whenever we get him.

If we add Tavares to this team we are immediately around #3-6 in goals for, instantly, and that is based on average, not the bust out year he's actually having now.

When I think of the Necas, Kuok, Foegele, Zykov, Roy, Gauthier, and Bean types in our system?

It would all be there for years. Just have to work goalie out.

Ah to dream....

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

The question I have, is JT supposed to be James Taylor or Justin Timberlake?  I'm a big James Taylor fan, but he has to be on the downside of his career. 

Take your pick, sd. Either would be great, but I'd vote for Tavares?

Want to go really nuts?

Bob McKenzie on XM last week:

"What if John Tavares and his linemate Josh Bailey decided they were going to collude and they were going to say, ‘Hey, how about us as a package deal? We’re both free in the summer here.’"

We trade Rask to offload that salary. Then we sign Tavares and Bailey.

Skinner-Tavares-Bailey

Aho-Staal-Teravainen

Lindy-Ryan-Williams

That last line could move Lindy to center, or next year insert: Zykov, Necas, Kuok, or whoever steps up, or McGinn.

The problem is that not only JT, but Bailey is having a career year. So overpay for Tavares? Where do we sign? Overpaying for both though could get a bit dicey. Then considering all of the talent in the system, need some place for guys to make it to the NHL.

Just kicking the can around.

22 hours ago, remkin said:

The Canes can match just about any offer for Tavares.

The Isles are winning and in a serious drought of their own, so I get that a deal before JT goes FA is unlikely. But that being said...

Offering Jordo and Faulk for him right now, with a Jan 1 expiration date, is worth a shot, IMO. Not only would it create more cap space, solve our Captaincy problem, and complete the break with the past, but on the other side, the Isles officially have zero allegiance to Brooklyn (let alone Barclays) now that the new LI arena is in the works. Even so, they *could* still get in with Jordo, and moving him is an inevitability for us anyway, IMO. Despite some of the doubt here about Rask, he is at minimum a solid 3C and very probably every bit the 2 that Jordo is--at two-thirds the price, five years younger, and with scoring touch.

Skinner-Tavares-Williams

TT-Rask/Lindy-Aho

McGinn/Stemp-Lindy/Rask-Jooris

Nordy-Kruger-Ryan/PDG

I also don't get some of board's disdain for Kruger. He is just -4 on the checking line of a team with a -10 goal differential. He was never brought here to score goals. To my eye, he is the epitome of what we bargained for: a heavy fourth-line center. Who, BTW, is winning nearly 54 percent of his draws.

Edit to add: All of this is spitballing, of course--and is negated by my sincere hope that this roster can succeed as it is now constituted. The talent is there; it has always been a question of will, and over the past six games - with the glaring exception of Toronto - I am seeing what *I hope* is the manifestation of a sort of disgust we've all been waiting for this team to find: Disgust with mediocrity. 

Edited by top-shelf-1