The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
raleighcaniac

To Trade, or not to trade

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Your boy Duchene is still there. :sarcasm:

Yeah, so far so bad on that one for Ottawa. Maybe we could buy low on him now though! Rask for Duchene straight up?

I don't know, the guy is obviously much better than his production so far in Ottawa, and he could break out at some point, but given the way Ottawa has trended after that trade, and that Colorado has done better without him....we probably dodged a bullet there.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yeah, maybe RF knows more than the rest of us after all. :)

Well he definitely knows more than me!

Of course that won't stop me from suggesting what he should do. :spin:

I'm just thankful we didn't take the bait on Landeskog. 31 points in 34 games and an 18 percent shooting percentage. Four more goals than our goals leader, in four fewer games. The kid is clearly washed up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm just thankful we didn't take the bait on Landeskog. 31 points in 34 games and an 18 percent shooting percentage. Four more goals than our goals leader, in four fewer games. The kid is clearly washed up.

Looks like you were right on him. I wonder what the price was on him. Seems like Joe was mostly trying to cut Duchene loose. Landeskog won't keep that shooting percentage up, but it's still an impressive run, and not one you'd expect from a guy who can't play well anymore.

I still say had the price been Faulk, RF missed a hell of an opportunity by not jumping.on it.  But then i would have traded Hanifin for Skog as well and the way things are looking right now, that may not have been a good move (again, that's why they don't pay me the big bucks).  Faulk, tho...

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Looks like you were right on him.

Not really, when one goes through the wringer Joe put both those guys through anything can happen. But we sure could use a big winger like Lindy who plays every night the way Lindy does when he's playing physical, and I think Scog is that kind of player.

Nonetheless, and like I said a few days ago: In the end, every trade is a crap shoot. Another case in point: Jonathan Drouin. How ugly is this line?

34 games 5 goals 13 assists 18 points -16                  

Edited by top-shelf-1

I still stand by what I said about Landeskog.  I’m glad he’s having that kind of success, but it wouldn’t translate here.  He’s playing with Mackinnon, who’s having a career year scoring at a 100pt pace.  He’s also playing with Rantanen who’s having a career year scoring at a 70pt + pace.  He wouldn’t have a good set up man in Staal/Rask/Ryan, and I still don’t think he’s better than Aho or Skinner.  The only thing Colorado is proving was how much of a distraction Duchene truly was.

And as far as Duchene, it’s clear the team he’s on is indicative of his play.  He was scoring at a much higher rate when he was still on Colorado, and becomes ice cold on a defensive oriented, 2nd worst in the east Ottawa team.

Edit to add- And for the return that Colorado got, which was a late 1st, a late 2nd, and B level prospects, I would’ve still done the trade, even if he bolted after next season.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17

7 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I’m glad he’s having that kind of success, but it wouldn’t translate here.

You're right. This org wouldn't know what to do with a 215 lb right winger who hits, makes plays, goes to the paint, and scores.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You're right. This org wouldn't know what to do with a 215 lb right winger who hits, makes plays, goes to the paint, and scores.

Left winger, but yeah lol.

• Like 1

I saw this on Spector's Hockey from Sportsnet

SPORTSNET: Ryan Dixon lists the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings, Carolina Hurricanes and Minnesota Wild as “sensible landing spots” for Canadiens left wing Max Pacioretty.

Habs fans, don’t you dare start dreaming about Noah Hanifin or Jaccob Slavin. However, with the Canes’ bevy of young blue-liners, maybe they’d be willing to talk about a package headlined by 21-year-old Haydn Fleury?

11 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I saw this on Spector's Hockey from Sportsnet

....maybe they’d be willing to talk about a package headlined by 21-year-old Haydn Fleury?

Surely they can benefit by adding an All Star defender.  Hey, we have one of those who just might be available....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

Surely they can benefit by adding an All Star defender.  Hey, we have one of those who just might be available....

That's the problem. Who we identify as a player that is under preforming and/or struggling isn't necessarily a player that can get a deal done.  .If the Habs were in playoff contention they would probable jump at Faulk but they are looking for future. Faulk played better with Dahlbeck, Bean is in the incubator and we still have a couple of guys in Charlotte. So could we lose Fleury?

Anyway it is only Dixon playing the what if game. Nothing more than that at this point.

Pacioretti is an interesting thought. He is having a bad year for him, and apparently gotten into the Hab's doghouse a bit. He is on a 43 point, 16 goal pace, which for $5 million/year and his historical output is pretty bad. BUT this is a guy who for the 6 seasons prior to this year, has maintained a .82 ppg pace. That is top 25 every year, and I'm betting that level of consistency is top 15 or better over those 6 years, since the top 25 list changes each year.

So a guy struggling on a free falling team with amazingly elite, amazingly consistent production for 6 straight years prior, is absolutely worth looking at.

The main question would be why the fall off this year? Is he hurt, or is it something a change of scenery might help? And the other question: what would we have to give up?

But even if Pacioretti stayed on his pedestrian 42 point pace, he would be good for us compared with our current third line LW options. And the money? No problem.

Pacioretti has this year and next at $5 million/year. That should be no problem for our new owner. And in some ways, not being tied long term is an advantage, BUT the fact that he is only available for one season after next, is a problem for Francis in terms of price paid (what he has to give up). Is it worth losing a guy like Fleury, who will be very affordable and controlled for years to come, for 1.5 years of Pacioretti, if that even got the deal done? Maybe since we are deep and have Dahlbeck and eventually Bean, but it could be a short term pop at a long term price, something that Francis has utterly refused to do thusfar.

Pacioretti is 29, so assuming he comes back into his scoring of the last 6 years, he is going to command a pretty big UFA price and term. He is not going to trade and sign unless we empty the bank and term, which might not be wise given his drop off this year. So we'd have to trade for 1.5 years of him and try to decide if he's worth re-signing at some point next year (assuming he'd stay) but he is going to get paid.

If he can get back to .80 ppg? I say do it. Even if it costs us. Not only will we improve our playoff chances this year, and our playoff line up, but next year's team would be in amazing shape while we hope that incubator of prospects, combined with fully realized Aho, TT, Lindy, can add to them in two years if Pacioretty walks.

Pacioretti-Rask-Skinner

TT- Staal - Aho

Lindholm-Ryan-J. Williams

We stay a bit questionable at one center spot, but what a group of wingers! We could seriously roll 4 lines with Stempniak and McGinn on the 4th.

And IF Necas is NHL ready next year? Could be a pretty amazing year slotting him into that line up.

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That's the problem. Who we identify as a player that is under preforming and/or struggling isn't necessarily a player that can get a deal done.  .If the Habs were in playoff contention they would probable jump at Faulk but they are looking for future. Faulk played better with Dahlbeck, Bean is in the incubator and we still have a couple of guys in Charlotte. So could we lose Fleury?

Anyway it is only Dixon playing the what if game. Nothing more than that at this point.

I would prefer Faulk for MP. MP is under performing hence the trade rumors.MP and Faulk are both under performing, both have similar contracts, both are captains and are only 4 years apart in age. Straight up trade would be nice. 

• Like 1

Just now, slapshot02 said:

I would prefer Faulk for MP. MP is under performing hence the trade rumors.MP and Faulk are both under performing, both have similar contracts, both are captains and are only 4 years apart in age. Straight up trade would be nice. 

A hockey trade. Ok

14 minutes ago, OBXer said:

A hockey trade. Ok

A hockey trade is RF's last rite of passage.  Of course everyone wants to trade all of our spare parts for Dudeman, but that isn't going to happen, and one day RF will have to do more than a small-ball trade - and bringing Pacioretty to Carolina wouldn't be a bad result.  Not that i see it happening - like you said, this is just Dixon passing the time - but it would show some gumption on RF's part.

26 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Faulk is signed for one more year, but if they'd do that straight up? I'm in. I think Justin could probably use a change of scenery too. It allows Francis to keep control of a guy like Fleury long term, AND we actually gain cap space in that deal. This allows our new owner, with tons of cap space and a phenomenal line up that just needs a 1C to become epic, to (*fingers trembling as he types*) shoot for Tavares.......

Holy cow Batman:

Next year: (or if the NYI fall out this year before the deadline, possibly all but Necas THIS year):

Pacioretty-Tavares-Skinner

Teravainen-Staal-Aho

Lindholm-Necas-J Williams

Are you kidding me?:yahoo:  :hotflash:

OK, back to Earth.

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

Faulk is signed for one more year, but if they'd do that straight up? I'm in. I think Justin could probably use a change of scenery too. It allows Francis to keep control of a guy like Fleury long term, AND we actually gain cap space in that deal. This allows us to (fingers trembling as he types) shoot for Tavares.......

Holy cow Batman:

Teravainen-Staal-Aho

OK, back to Earth.

Some say that the Captaincy has been weighing on MP for the years he has been captain and their lack of playoff success has had MP in trade talks for 3 years. I'd be willing to take that stress off of him. Strip JF and MP of their stripes and let them enjoy a change of scenery. 

- talked about Habs planning on staying patient. Asking price for Pacioretty is very high. Some think Nashville will have interest.

Edited by slapshot02

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Faulk is signed for one more year, but if they'd do that straight up? I'm in. I think Justin could probably use a change of scenery too. It allows Francis to keep control of a guy like Fleury long term, AND we actually gain cap space in that deal. This allows our new owner, with tons of cap space and a phenomenal line up that just needs a 1C to become epic, to (*fingers trembling as he types*) shoot for Tavares.......

Holy cow Batman:

Next year: (or if the NYI fall out this year before the deadline, possibly all but Necas THIS year):

Teravainen-Staal-Aho

OK, back to Earth.

Someone obviously had a little nog left over...:groupwave:

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

Someone obviously had a little nog left over...:groupwave:

It could happen. At least theoretically!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Teravainen-Staal-Aho

OK, back to Earth.

Did someone say Necas? 

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

This would work. Step up your game Ronnie.