raleighcaniac

To Trade, or not to trade

22 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Who says you gotta go to the game?

Who says YOU have to go to a game?

Really AWACS, you just keep setting me up

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Manwolf said:

The use of the word "hope" by RF makes the use of "if" by Rem seem reasonable. :)

If only GMRF would make an actual hockey trade....this team might have a shot.

We can come up with all the excuses we can possibly muster up for not making trades. However it does appear that other teams were able to get it done and at the end of the day Francis needs to go !   The list of possible trades is ridiculous     I said over two months ago when people started getting excited about trades that  it’ll never happen because our upper management believes we are good to go just where were at and they will never be able to pull the trigger or make the tough decision.  They will pay a dear price with Low attendance for rest of season. I’m not going to waste my money.    Huge let down.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Who says YOU have to go to a game?

Really AWACS, you just keep setting me up

Some guys just draw that lot in life...

• Like 1

As everyone on here knows I've been pushing Francis to make a deal since, oh this exact same discussion was had last year (and the year before).  It will probably surprise many, but I'm not specifically disappointed about not making a move today. TBH, no players were moved today that I really wanted anyways, and while first rounders were in play, they came with conditions or were from teams that will be picking on the verge of the second round. Sure Maroon for a 3rd round pick might have been worth a stab, but really Tatar for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd? Vegas will be picking late and has a bevy of 2nd and third rounders in the next couple of years. We could and should not have made that deal. Hoffman, ROR, Pachioretty, Tavares, all the guys who really could make a big difference didn't move.

The playoffs seem right there, but Mongo still sucks and with Jordan out, this team is much farther out than it is, if that makes sense.

My problem is more that there is NEVER a time that Francis can seem to find a trade he likes. The problem is trying to project any confidence that he'll make a deal in the off-season either.  Last year it was going to be the draft (also two years ago at the draft). There are times when trades rarely happen and times when the tend to happen, but for Francis they never happen. Ever.

I agree with Legend as I've mentioned before. When this team waived two veteran players that was the time to call up some yutes and put some pressure on this group. My main fear now is that this group is really learning to accept losing. That and my other fear that now that they are dropping out they will start winning again.

Peters will buy the farm before Francis. It's just how it works. If Francis feels the heat, the coach will take the fall. Peters might welcome it at this point.

This is what has to happen now.

1. This team needs to break one way or the other, but if we get more than 6 points back we need to TANK. I've written many times that the coach can't coach to lose and the players must play to win. Not so sure anymore. All that's gotten us is this. I don't care if they have a team meeting and work on some new things, or roll Scott Darling out nightly, or let Jordan Staal take the rest of the year off, but for the love of all that's good, let's not pick mid round again.

Two years ago I so wanted us to drop. Instead we ended up in the #13 slot and went D man for the third year in a row. At #10 Tyson Jost, at #7 Clayton Keller, #8 Wm Nylander and at #6 Mathew Tkachuk. We could easily drop to #5-6. We got luck last year with Necas I think. But we need to be picking higher. We've gotten nothing from winning at the end. Nothing.

2. This team needs to be shaken up with the hockey trade Francis seems incapable of:  Faulk needs to be gone, and maybe another big move out. It cannot be the same group next year. This will not happen without being willing to give something of value up. If Francis cannot make a deal he needs to go.

3. We need to make splash in the UFA. JVR? Tavares?

This team needs two more primary scorers and take another shot at a goalie. Raanta would be good.

This whole post is really therapy because my true feelings are much darker. More towards, the notion of why do I keep thinking this time will be different?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

As everyone on here knows I've been pushing Francis to make a deal since, oh this exact same discussion was had last year (and the year before).  It will probably surprise many, but I'm not specifically disappointed about not making a move today. TBH, no players were moved today that I really wanted anyways, and while first rounders were in play, they came with conditions or were from teams that will be picking on the verge of the second round. Sure Maroon for a 3rd round pick might have been worth a stab, but really Tatar for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd? Vegas will be picking late and has a bevy of 2nd and third rounders in the next couple of years. We could and should not have made that deal.

My problem is more that there is NEVER a time that Francis can seem to find a trade he likes. Last year it was going to be the draft (also two years ago at the draft). There are times when trades rarely happen and times when the tend to happen, but for Francis they never happen. Ever.

I agree with Legend as I've mentioned before. When this team waived two veteran players that was the time to call up some yutes and put some pressure on this group.

My main fear now is that this group is really learning to accept losing. That and my other fear that now that they are dropping out they will start winning again.

Peters will buy the farm before Francis. It's just how it works. If Francis feels the heat, the coach will take the fall. Peters might welcome it at this point.

This is what has to happen now.

1. This team needs to break one way or the other, but if we get more than 6 points back we need to TANK. I've written many times that the coach can't coach to lose and the players must play to win. Not so sure anymore. All that's gotten us is this. I don't care if they have a team meeting and work on some new things, or roll Scott Darling out nightly, or let Jordan Staal take the rest of the year off, but for the love of all that's good, let's not pick mid round again.

Two years ago I so wanted us to drop. Instead we ended up in the #13 slot and went D man for the third year in a row. At #10 Tyson Jost, at #7 Clayton Keller, #8 Wm Nylander and at #6 Mathew Tkachuk. We could easily drop to #5-6. We got luck last year with Necas I think. But we need to be picking higher. We've gotten nothing from winning at the end. Nothing.

2. This team needs to be shaken up with the hockey trade Francis seems incapable of:  Faulk needs to be gone, and maybe another big move out. It cannot be the same group next year. This will not happen without being willing to give something of value up. If Francis cannot make a deal he needs to go.

3. We need to make splash in the UFA. JVR? Tavares?

This team needs two more primary scorers and take another shot at a goalie. Raanta would be good.

This whole post is really therapy because my true feelings are much darker. More towards, the notion of why do I keep thinking this time will be different?

Rem this is an excellent post and helping me progress through the seven stages of death acceptance. I said earlier roll Mongo hard. 10-15 of the remaining games.  Let Jordan take the rest of the year off. Let's see what Lindholm Rask Turbo Aho these guys that are supposed to be our main point producers are made of. Here's your ice time. 

Edited by sleekfeeder

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

What?  You didn't like the response that "he played OK in Detroit" and "some goalies have banner years the year after a bad year"?

I'm looking forward to Darling's awesome year next year!

I'll take your word for it.  I tuned out in less than 60 seconds.

Just think of this insanity.  No deals in or out.  

How can you not possibly be a seller and stand pat with Darling as your backup.  That in itself is an admission of surrender or immense stupidity through blind hope.

So sure, no deals to give the boys a shot this year, or BP what he asked for.  But not a seller when it is as clear as anything that some guys need to move out.  I doubt RF ever looked at the flip side (be a seller).  He's just frozen and stuck in his failing approach.  Boys and girls, we have a bigger problem here than ever imagined.

• Like 2

I will say this. This is admittedly a team ranked in the bottom third in essentially every important category: GF/GA/PP/PK/goalies. Yet we are somehow 3 points out.

17 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

I doubt RF ever looked at the flip side (be a seller).  He's just frozen and stuck in his failing approach.  Boys and girls, we have a bigger problem here than ever imagined.

Today signaled that this organization is rotten to the core...and it's time for a clean sweep.

• Like 4

Rem

I would like to think we could fix this in the offseason.  I just don’t know how you effectively pitch top FAs.  

Aggressive for winning- nope

Solid core- yes and no

goaltending- nope

one piece short- nope

defense- meh

a star to hitch the wago to- Aho isn’t there yet

wining franchise- nope

basically we have a couple of good pieces.

unless GMRF completely overhauls the roster at the draft, we don’t have much to sell.  That is a big unless knowing GMRFs inability to deal.  

The biggest question is goalie.  Do we find out if he can overcome his issues by using him the rest of the way? Do we just hope he gets his act together next season?  Or do we soak more capital with another hopeful starter?

Playing at Boston, and at Philly, and Columbus leading 4-1 at end of 2, spells a tough week. I would give Darling another year, IF we cant get Raanta.

27 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Rem

I would like to think we could fix this in the offseason.  I just don’t know how you effectively pitch top FAs.  

Aggressive for winning- nope

Solid core- yes and no

goaltending- nope

one piece short- nope

defense- meh

a star to hitch the wago to- Aho isn’t there yet

wining franchise- nope

basically we have a couple of good pieces.

unless GMRF completely overhauls the roster at the draft, we don’t have much to sell.  That is a big unless knowing GMRFs inability to deal.  

The biggest question is goalie.  Do we find out if he can overcome his issues by using him the rest of the way? Do we just hope he gets his act together next season?  Or do we soak more capital with another hopeful starter?

It will be a challenge after the way this year seems to be ending. But JVR has his brother here, and Necas is coming, and if Francis makes a move Faulk plus for say Pachioretty, and signs say Raanta, we would be a lot closer than we might think. Still, the point is well taken.

Just now, remkin said:

It will be a challenge after the way this year seems to be ending. But JVR has his brother here, and Necas is coming, and if Francis makes a move Faulk plus for say Pachioretty, and signs say Raanta, we would be a lot closer than we might think. Still, the point is well taken.

Are you asking for 3 (!) trades plus JT for one offseason?

1 minute ago, Bonivan said:

A trade, and 3 UFA signings.  

Almost as crazy a 3 trades and a JT signing.  

2 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

First off, sure!

But JVR will be a UFA as might Raanta (and Tavares). Pachioretty would be the trade.

Gotta let Ward walk to try to get Raanta in UFA unless were ready to buy out Darling. Which, I am but it's not my money.

Honestly I dunno how keen I am on another mostly unproven starter, I really had hoped to get him now and let him show us what he's got under pressure to make a decision off of because for whatever reason playing goalie for Carolina is one of the most difficult tasks in life.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Gotta let Ward walk to try to get Raanta in UFA unless were ready to buy out Darling. Which, I am but it's not my money.

Honestly I dunno how keen I am on another mostly unproven starter, I really had hoped to get him now and let him show us what he's got under pressure to make a decision off of because for whatever reason playing goalie for Carolina is one of the most difficult tasks in life.

About as bad as being a goalie in Philly or Buffalo

11 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

About as bad as being a goalie in Philly or Buffalo

They way things are going for Philly, you might want to take them off that list.