The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
raleighcaniac

To Trade, or not to trade

Most likely going to need enough W's to climb past the Bruins, Rangers, Pens, Caps and or,,,, not such a hard task considering the Dec. schedule gauntlet. 

I love this board, I really do (sarchasm alert). My *edit* meter's about full of being told I said something other than what I actually did, which was simply...

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

it doesn't take much for a team to get on a roll. That said, while streaks are exciting, what matters is winning enough games to make the playoffs, not whether the wins come in bunches.

I'd love to see this team win 10 straight, let alone five. But it doesn't need to happen to get in.

That is all.

• Like 1

I think it's important for a team to get on a roll and feel good about the situation, and also it generates energy in the arena.  That's why those winning streaks matter maybe even more than the same number of points generated by loser points.  I have never left the arena, high fiving other fans because of a point gained by an OTL.

"Woo, we got a point!"  Not so much.

More like "Well, at least it's a point.  Still got beat"

• Like 2

"I love winning man.  I @#$%&! love winning.  You hear what I'm saying?   It's like, better than losing"

-  Meat

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

I think it's important for a team to get on a roll and feel good about the situation, and also it generates energy in the arena.  That's why those winning streaks matter maybe even more than the same number of points generated by loser points.  I have never left the arena, high fiving other fans because of a point gained by an OTL.

"Woo, we got a point!"  Not so much.

More like "Well, at least it's a point.  Still got beat"

Of course everyone prefers wins to OTL points.  But if the point totals are the same, more wins also means more regulation losses.  So a relevant example would be: would you rather attend 2 games that result in a win and a loss (where you might well be out of the game well before it actually ends) or 2 games that end in OTLs (where you've at least had a "win possibility" for more than 60 minutes)?  I'm not arguing that one is better than the other as far as fan experience, that's purely subjective and I'm not even sure which I'd prefer.    

And you can firmly put me in the "I'm all for going on a roll" category, whether it's a long winning streak or a longer points streak.  I just want us to generate more points than we are now.

Ok, I'm out on this topic.  It's kind of silly (pointing at myself), and I suspect it came about more due to general frustration with the team than anything else.

45 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Of course everyone prefers wins to OTL points.  But if the point totals are the same, more wins also means more regulation losses.  So a relevant example would be: would you rather attend 2 games that result in a win and a loss (where you might well be out of the game well before it actually ends) or 2 games that end in OTLs (where you've at least had a "win possibility" for more than 60 minutes)?  I'm not arguing that one is better than the other as far as fan experience, that's purely subjective and I'm not even sure which I'd prefer.    

No question that I'd rather see a win and a loss than 2 OTLs.  A loss is a loss.  One win trumps 2 losses (for me as a fan).

• Like 2

So in an effort to bring this thread back on topic.

Why aren't we in any of the rumors going around? There is a lot of trade talk around the league but very little Canes trade talk or speculation.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Why aren't we in any of the rumors going around? There is a lot of trade talk around the league but very little Canes trade talk or speculation.

Because the team is mov... Oh, nevermind.  :rofl:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Maybe we aren't looking to trade so there are no rumors.

Somebody go ask Francis.

I think RF believes this roster can get there. The dramatic difference in getting one scoring line going is undeniable. If another one does - and at the moment both are looking closer - and the back end tightens up, he's probably right. 

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

acad7b651f3397cd37ee0b40de84e091

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

acad7b651f3397cd37ee0b40de84e091

Typical tight lipped RF. Outside of Torts there aren't many in the NHL that act like these NFL coaches.

Edited by slapshot02

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think RF believes this roster can get there. The dramatic difference in getting one scoring line going is undeniable. If another one does - and at the moment both are looking closer - and the back end tightens up, he's probably right. 

I sense you are right. BP always preaches about execution and at times we flash our ability. The next step is to do so consistently. With that said I'd still like to get one power forward who likes to go to the net night in night out.:P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

OBXer, This right here is my greatest angst with being a Carolina Hurricanes fan, and the biggest killer of my enthusiasm season in and out. the Canes have been and always will be the quintessential "Red Headed Stepchild" in the media, and whereas other teams fans can fanatisize over this or that player, we are left with dead silence from anyone. 

Wait...  How many mid-season have we made in recent memory?  Deadline trades?  I assume we're not making one simply because I don't recall RF making these kinds of moves mid-season.  I have a terrible memory but I recall trading Primeau for Brind'Amour, the offer sheet for Federov and Weight and Recci.  Otherwise, mostly moving around 3rd/4th liners.

7 hours ago, OBXer said:

Perhaps the issue is PK’s pocketbook and our internal budget. Everyone who wanted Duchene has to consider 2 years of. $6m salary. If say Hanifin had been the main player going the other way, that’s a big jump in payroll. And to keep Duchene would have required even more money in 2 years. Hard to find a 1C who isn’t getting paid, or if younger, about to demand to get paid. Take the budget off of Ronnie and I bet we’d see more trade activity.

10 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Aim High! Cam Ward for Malkin, straight up!

Malkin's a punk!  I'll take Kessel.

I look at Nashville. Perhaps they are just a year or two ahead of us, but they went out and got a 1C and now a 2C in Johansen and Turris for a really good young D man and a bunch of picks/prospects. Hey, we have a really good young D man and a bunch of picks and prospects.