Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
raleighcaniac

To Trade, or not to trade

Recommended Posts

I like the way that RF has built things from the bottom up.  There are a lot of pieces in the system that show great promise.  One of the things that those pieces can be used for is to make a move for the help that this team needs.  Now, it's hard to poach another team's established 1C or power forward, but are there players in other teams' systems that are a good fit for what the Canes need and can a move be made there?  We won't see a generational talent come that way, but it certainly seems to be more of a way RF works.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I step back and look from perspective I do see what Francis is building and the depth SD alludes to is truly impressive. I still believe that Francis is getting it done. That said, it is beyond reasonable at this point for fans to express angst and criticism. Fans that have stayed with this team this long have that right etched in stone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I like the way that RF has built things from the bottom up.  There are a lot of pieces in the system that show great promise.  One of the things that those pieces can be used for is to make a move for the help that this team needs.  Now, it's hard to poach another team's established 1C or power forward, but are there players in other teams' systems that are a good fit for what the Canes need and can a move be made there?  We won't see a generational talent come that way, but it certainly seems to be more of a way RF works.

 

This.  My experience is that complete, blind adherence to a particular strategy without room for adjustment rarely yields the best result.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

We won't see a generational talent come that way, but it certainly seems to be more of a way RF works.

You nailed it. He has been very clear that 1Cs don't grow on trees and are rarely available, and that while he is not going to overpay, he is always willing to listen to reasonable proposals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall, I'm happy with RF's approach to team building, but as I suggested earlier, I think he has been far too reticent to make the big trade for another true goal scorer. It's great that TT, Jordan, McGinn are exceeding expectations so far this year. But other than Skinner, the one constant with our core offensive players over RF's tenure is their inconsistency, especially with goal scoring. Rask had 21 goals in 15-16 and got a big fat contract extension, but has scored less than 21 goals combined in 16-17 and 17-18 so far. Lindholm had 17 goals in 14-15, but just 11 goals in each of the next two years. Jordan's goal production has looked like a mountain range (peaks & valleys) the last several years. The last three seasons, Faulk has scored 15-16-17 goals, while this year he has 1. 

 

Most of us agree, I think, that the addition of one more consistent goal scorer on this team—whether a 1C (unlikely) or a top-6 forward (more likely)—could make a huge difference in our playoff prospects. Of course, there are no guarantees. But RF has not made that big trade for whatever reason. I hope it's not just because "we like our group" of under-the-radar prospects.  

Edited by spyglass88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I'm wondering if we need a starting goalie.   As of right now, It's obvious Darling is a slight upgrade over Ward and he was the product of a good chicago team.  So disappointing.   We took a gamble and so far...it has been a doozy.

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

At this point, I'm wondering if we need a starting goalie.   As of right now, It's obvious Darling is a slight upgrade over Ward and he was the product of a good chicago team.  So disappointing.   We took a gamble and so far...it has been a doozy.

 

 

I do think we're in a better position than the past few seasons, but Darling's still been a disappointment, to be sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darling will be fine, if only because FS58 thinks he won't. But I'm totally down with moving out Faulk, Jordo, Cam, and Rod. Time to break with the past.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

I hope it's not just because "we like our group" of under-the-radar prospects.  

It's because none are available. Unless you know something he doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have too many holes right now.  The only real hole we fixed over the offseason so far is TVR on the bottom pairing.  We still lack top end talent, terrible special teams, and crappy goaltending.  Our Goals per game average right now against teams in a playoff position is 2.53, and what makes that number look as high as it does is we've played Toronto and NYI a few times and they have crappy D.  We don't have the necessary forwards to compete night in and night out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the worse thing to ever happen to the Canes was the break up of the Southeast and bring moved into the Metro division.   We can't compete with these high end teams...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Darling will be fine, if only because FS58 thinks he won't. But I'm totally down with moving out Faulk, Jordo, Cam, and Rod. Time to break with the past.

 

I usually agree with TS.  But... I'm very concerned about Darling.   For the first time in a while, "thumbs up" a bd58 post.  

 

I.E.

Quote

 We took a gamble and so far...it has been a doozy.

 

MAYBE he will settle.  But, man, TS-1, what a buzzkill it can be like last night's goal.  The team collapsed after that edit.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darling is just a big body.  His rebound control is poor as is his glove.  He apparently can't handle the puck.  Say what you want about Ward, but he's s skilled goalie in controlling what goes on out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not giving up on Darling or Peters just yet, but i am totally ready for Darling to steal a game for the team and for Peters to make a great coaching decision that gives us a win as well.  Butterfinger goals and coaches' challenges aren't doing it for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this team can improve if they trade Faulk.  Give Hanifin the load of offensive roving type defender and pair him with a stronger defender to complement his green light.  Don't ask him to defend or be physical as he's underachieved in those areas (despite his 1st fight vs Florida).

 

That makes Faulk expendable to upgrade in the top 6 forward area. Fluery has proven he belongs and will improve.  Hanifin can add a better shot with re-tooling and be allowed to use his 2 primary assets of skating and puck handling.  He'd be better in that exclusive role.  Give Mckeown his shot or add a depth defender.

 

Share the crease until Darling proves he's a number one.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say, Fleury has been pretty remarkable. Just really solid and skates and makes mostly smart plays. Supports the notion of giving guys time to develop. Also, just for comparison, Hanifin is a year behind Fleury in draft years, so next year would be the comparable year to Fleury this year. I just wish one of them was a righty.

 

Anyway, I was thinking Fleury for Duchene would have been a good move for Colorado but wouldn't happen because NHL Fleury was an unknown. Now I'm glad it didn't happen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 1:11 PM, wxray1 said:

I usually agree with TS.  But... I'm very concerned about Darling.   For the first time in a while, "thumbs up" a bd58 post.  

 

MAYBE he will settle.  But, man, TS-1, what a buzzkill it can be like last night's goal.  The team collapsed after that edit.

Agree or disagree, one thing is irrefutable: Numbers wise, he's already as good as Cam, and with a much bigger body of work this year. Slightly worse SV%, but slightly better GAA. Meanwhile, Darls has two months as a number one. Cam has 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remkin said:

I gotta say, Fleury has been pretty remarkable. Just really solid and skates and makes mostly smart plays. Supports the notion of giving guys time to develop. Also, just for comparison, Hanifin is a year behind Fleury in draft years, so next year would be the comparable year to Fleury this year. I just wish one of them was a righty.

 

Anyway, I was thinking Fleury for Duchene would have been a good move for Colorado but wouldn't happen because NHL Fleury was an unknown. Now I'm glad it didn't happen.

 

Im sure Ottawa would undo their trade as well 

 

Duchene- 2 points in 10 games 

Turris- 11 points in 11 games 

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2017 at 10:00 PM, bluedevil58 said:

I think the worse thing to ever happen to the Canes was the break up of the Southeast and bring moved into the Metro division.   We can't compete with these high end teams...

 

So we would have a better record in another division? No matter what division, you still have to beat great teams to have success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...