The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2018 Canes All Star Representative?

Who should represent the Canes at this year's All Star game?

Who will represent the Canes?

Keep in mind that the Metro team, captained by Ovechkin. will be comprised of 6 forwards, 3 d-men, and 2 goalies and that each of the 8 teams must be represented.

Edited by LakeLivin

I'd say Aho and or TT should. I agree Skinner probably has the inside track as part of last year usually gets factored in, and in retrospect Skinner should have gotten it last year.

Should:  probably Aho

Will:  I'm all over the place on this one.  If it's a forward, probably Aho.  But it could be Skinner on recognition and reputation, and imo he has carried the team at times more than any other individual, so Skinner wouldn't bother me.  But as PK points out, the division is heavy on forwards (the only reason it was Faulk over Skinner last year, imo).  So if the default Canes rep is D, most likely Hanifin, although Slavin now has a bigger rep even if his numbers aren't as good as last year.   

From an organizational standpoint I hope it isn't Hanifin.  Gotta believe that would cost us when it comes time to negotiate his next contract.

Should:  Skinner or Aho

Will:  Faulk, because the Metro is loaded with forwards and he's been there before.  Agree that if it IS a D man, Hanifin should go over Faulk.

Hanifin is a good thought. He's tied for #4 in goals and he's #16 in points in the East.

TT and Aho are ranked high twenties in points per game in the East.

So Hanifin would be less of a stretch, and if we need to send a D man, and offense is a big factor, he should be it.

I agree with Lake though. This is not what the organization needs right now, and while I've stuck with Hanifin a long time, and feel some vindication now, it is too early, especially since he is not in the top 10, AND he is not a top pair guy.

Really, if it was all down to "should" and if last year plays in a touch, and if there is any D in defenseman, it really should be Slavin.

Slavin, because he is our best player.

Put it this way, which guy would most teams take if they could take any one guy from us?

Slavin hasn’t had as great a year as last year, but he is deserving, based on who is most valuable to the team.

I’m voting Skinner for who will be chosen. When he is hot, like at the end of last year, he can snipe with the best of them. Ask Matt Murray. And I would be good with that choice. Aho would be deserving as well, but he’s only at 1.5 years, and hasn’t posted 30+ goal seasons like Skinner.

Since no one on the national scene pays much attention to the Canes, watch it be Faulk (gag).

RNT and BDC called it - i see no possible future in which it isn't Faulk.  No, i don't think he deserves it, but then i didn't think he deserved it any of the other 17 years or whatever it's been either.

Nah, it isn't going to be Faulk again.  Slavin has gotten enough national attention over the past year that if it comes down to needing a Canes d-man and "reputation" factors into it, Slavin > Faulk at this point.   Slavin actually got Norris trophy votes last year and is generally recognized as one of the best young d-men in the NHL. 

Who Should:   So far Aho is the future. My hands down pick.  Slavin is good but he doesn't have 3 GWG's. Cam has really been an all-star > Slavin in terms of impact.

Who Will:  The posee would love to see Faulk because, and to have an additional opportunity to beech more.  Aho or Turbo?  Not likely as Lake suggested.  Slavin, still holding out hope for Aho.

Edited by coastal_caniac

17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Nah, it isn't going to be Faulk again.  Slavin has gotten enough national attention over the past year that if it comes down to needing a Canes d-man and "reputation" factors into it, Slavin > Faulk at this point.   Slavin actually got Norris trophy votes last year and is generally recognized as one of the best young d-men in the NHL. 

I agree.  I was getting ready to say basically the same thing.  Last year coupled with no one, nationally, noticing that his play has dropped off some this year.

You know, it would be nice, some year, if we were talking about the 2 or 3 players that deserve to go rather than the 1 because the league has to pick 1 player from every team.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It will likely be Skinner, due to name recognition.

If Skinner does go, maybe he shows Peters what he can accomplish with real linemates and not a bunch of 3rd liners.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2018 at 12:03 PM, realmdrakkar said:

If Skinner does go, maybe he shows Peters what he can accomplish with real linemates and not a bunch of 3rd liners.

I don't think the all star game has any barometer on a players abilities. No defense exhibited and no goalie effort exhibited. Just a scoring extravaganza. What's the over /under on multiple players having a hat trick?

Been reading a couple of articles and they think that Canes rep will have to be a d-man because the Metro is overloaded with forwards having great seasons to date.

Edited by LakeLivin

6 hours ago, Bonivan said:

That would surprise me a bit.  Assuming the other 5 forwards they listed stay fixed, that would mean picking Aho (13g, 33p) ahead of Crosby (15g, 43p, face of the NHL), Josh Bailey (12g, 50p), and Anders Lee (25g, 40p).  I'd guess a more likely scenario would be to replace John Carlson with either Slavin or Hanifin and send one of the forwards listed above.  Then again, I have no insight into the politics of picking the NHL All Star teams.

Edited by LakeLivin

How many players go per position?  Aho is #7 RW in scoring.  TT is #8 LW, Skinner #10.  Staal is tied for #28 C.  Hanafin is #14 D.  Faulk and Slavin are tied (with others) at #34.

There are 3 C's and 3 RW's with 50 or more points.  4 D have 30+ points.

5 minutes ago, wa1010 said:

How many players go per position?  Aho is #7 RW in scoring.  TT is #8 LW, Skinner #10.  Staal is tied for #28 C.  Hanafin is #14 D.  Faulk and Slavin are tied (with others) at #34.

There are 3 C's and 3 RW's with 50 or more points.  4 D have 30+ points.

Six forwards, 3 D, and 2 goalies.  But it's 3-on-3, so I'm guessing they wouldn't bother to distinguish between the different forward positions when choosing.

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Six forwards, 3 D, and 2 goalies.  But it's 3-on-3, so I'm guessing they wouldn't bother to distinguish between the different forward positions when choosing.

But enough for 4 teams so 44 total players?  31 teams so 13 extras.  Not necessarily spread even between conferences?

Aho and TT are tied for #52 in the league at forward.  Hanafin tied for #23 league wide.