The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Thread about Goalies

OK, lets try this again. The last one got off the rails.

This is about goalies. It's OK to be negative, but please keep it on the level. This thread will be moderated closely, especially at first.

This is an important topic for this team, so lets discuss openly and respectfully.

Discuss!

• Like 1

good post on Canescountry this morning about Ward and Darlings worth in standing's points.  

Recap

Ward -1

Darling -4

Might be slight adjustment to that based on empty netter goals allowed

I was on the Briscoe band wagon and just knew we had a top 5 goalie... Somehow I still think he has the goods to do the job, but just dont want to see R.F. take the wait and lets see approach.. For once, just once lets be pro-active.... 

Like Legend has said, something is not right in Darls' mechanics. You don't go from the kind of success he had Chicago to this, absent some kind of fundamental breakdown.

It looks to me like he is far too reactive; his lack of rebound control would seem to confirm that. If that's true, it suggests he is allowing himself to be distracted from following the puck, then trying to "catch up" to it with big moves.

Great keepers take advantage of a very basic difference in approach between themselves and skaters: Unlike the latter, it's essential that keepers be puck-focused, and trust their teammates to keep tabs on the opposition's positioning.

12 minutes ago, wa1010 said:

If Ward goes back to below average, we are toast.  The last game didn't give me a lot of hope for either of our goalies.

All goalies have games like that. How they respond is key. Don't you think the tell will be how Ward plays over the next few games, including tonight?

If we can maintain puck possession and limit TB chances I think we have a decent chance. Some goals would be nice too.

In the beginning of the year if we said Ward was 11-3-2 after 16 games we would all be jumping up and down with excitement. So the question is how do we turn Mongo around? I like Lake's thought of giving Mongo more home games but with Ward in the net tonight where do we do it? With Ward in tonight we would expect Mongo to be in Thursday against the Caps (away)with Ward again on Friday(home) against the Caps. That would leave Mongo with his only home start to be on the 14th at (home) against CGY. The only way to give Mongo more home games at this point is to start Ward again on the 11th against the Caps (away) and then Mongo home on the 12th and 14th which is not typical. In any event I still would like to see Mongo sent down to Charlotte during our off week where Charlotte has two home games on the 16th and 17th. I'm willing to try anything, I'll even call him Scott or Darls if it equates to wins.

Edited by slapshot02

21 minutes ago, OBXer said:

All goalies have games like that. How they respond is key. Don't you think the tell will be how Ward plays over the next few games, including tonight?

I think he has a history of having a hot stretch then reverting back to so-so.  And I'm not buying that we're not going to be riding Cam from here on in.  The 5 goals Darling let in against Boston weren't confidence inspiring.

This is a tough stretch.  It'll certainly test Ward's confidence.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think Darling's just trying too hard and losing focus.  It's in his head.

I could be wrong.

The single-axle in full gear he did immediately after the horn of his 2-1 win over the CBJ gave me a pretty strong indication of how much he cares about his performance.  I'm in agreement with you, unfortunately an athlete can "try too hard".  I remember Ward specifically addressing the phenomenon a few years back.  

Edited by LakeLivin

On 1/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, coastal_caniac said:

I think Darling's just trying too hard and losing focus.  It's in his head.

I could be wrong.

I tend to agree.  I hope he turns things around.

5 hours ago, winger52 said:

And we played Ward last night. 

It was second game of a B2B with an early Sunday game to follow. Mongo followed up his last good game with a stinker. Don’t need him trying to play 2 in 2 nights. Expect to see him tomorrow. Then he can prove he deserves another chance to be #1.

I wonder if he may have had an issue with his pads. Somebody mentioned he had new gear top to bottom, and just a half inch difference in width of each leg pad makes a big difference in both mobility and ease of sealing the five-hole. If he was fighting his pads, that would certainly explain his herky-jerky action. Here's hoping that's behind him, whatever its cause.  

• Like 1

It's the fastest I've seen an NHL goalies pads go from their legs and onto a beer leaguers. His old pads are in Illinois already, they showed up in a beer league goalie Facebook group I post in. Usually they sell them over the summer but Darling wanted those things out of his life ASAP. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, legend-1 said:

It's the fastest I've seen an NHL goalies pads go from their legs and onto a beer leaguers. His old pads are in Illinois already, they showed up in a beer league goalie Facebook group I post in. Usually they sell them over the summer but Darling wanted those things out of his life ASAP. 

I'm surprised there's another guy big enough to wear them, beer league or otherwise.

It's pretty silly to me that if he didn't like the pads why did he stick with them so long? His last game was good and he was a lot calmer but I did notice on the one shot that hit him high and went on top of the goal netting he immediately became twitchy again for a few moments. Just stay calm and use your size.

53 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

It's pretty silly to me that if he didn't like the pads why did he stick with them so long? His last game was good and he was a lot calmer but I did notice on the one shot that hit him high and went on top of the goal netting he immediately became twitchy again for a few moments. Just stay calm and use your size.

It might take time to manufacture new pads. Last year when Aho was not comfortable with his gloves it took some 15 games to get new ones

I remember a game, maybe 10 games in, where he kept pushing down on the top (webbing) of the catching glove as if it wasn't pliable enough. No question that will mess with anybody's head/confidence.