The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Thread about Goalies

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

The Big Guy just told me:    

"After the win Saturday, his teammates signed Ward’s blocker by the bench as they left the ice as a season-ending memento. They tried the same for Scott Darling but the pads were too porous to retain ink."

Post of the year 

• Like 1

While we are perusing UFA and RFA goalies, and apparently seeing very little, is another possible route the European market? Must be someone overseas that could be pretty good? Anybody know of anything there?

13 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

While we are perusing UFA and RFA goalies, and apparently seeing very little, is another possible route the European market? Must be someone overseas that could be pretty good? Anybody know of anything there?

See my post.

15 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

After the Swedish Hockey League's leading scorer turned into Doc Ryan, i'd hesitate to expect many saviours out of Europe, though i realize of course that's just one league.

edit - never mind - this is the goalie thread...

Edited by realmdrakkar

I'd seen you had posted that somewhere else, bd58, and didn't know of him. Little older like Darling, but what the heck? May be worth a shot, as certainly couldn't be much worse, although I still hold out a little hope for Darls?

Darling is the guy you throw off the ship with a 40lb canon ball tied to him. He is the albatross on this team. If the team ices an improved tougher team of skaters with promise next season and expectations are high and Scottie dog comes out of the gate even a bit shaky then right of the bat he will have created a bad vibe for a team searching for its mojo. No flipping way he should be on the roster. Buy him out or trade him for two 8th round picks in 2029 & 30. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 12:10 PM, bluedevil58 said:

I think we should buy out Darling and take a stab at Pavel Francouz.  Have Ward be back up.  The reason Pvel gets my vote is because there are no bonafide starters via UFA this year and I am not convinced that we can acquire a number one via trade.  Might as well take another risk.  if we got the UFA route then Khudobin is next on the my list after Pavel.

Intriguing choice, and could be worth a shot.  The guy has great numbers at almost every place he's played  If we went that route I'd like to see us bring in another goalie with at least a decent potential to be a number 1, and go 1A and 1B until the situation clarifies itself (i.e., both Ward and Mongo would have to go).   Wouldn't want to put all our eggs in a Francouz basket, so to speak.

Of course, if we signed Francouz and he bombed, I have little doubt that you'd blast the decision after the fact, citing our previous experience with unproven NHL goaltenders, regardless of what's available now or your current opinion on the matter, lol.

Caps fans seem to think that Holtby could be had in trade, many seem ready to transition over to Grubauer  as their #1 going forward.

As critical of RF as we were for not picking up Mrazek at the deadline (myself included), his performance after going to Philly was downright Mongo-esque, maybe even worse given the team behind him.   Which explains why some Wings fans on another board were offering him up for used equipment prior to his trade.   Hard pass on even bringing him into the conversation for me.    

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Intriguing choice, and could be worth a shot.  The guy has great numbers at almost every place he's played  If we went that route I'd like to see us bring in another goalie with at least a decent potential to be a number 1, and go 1A and 1B until the situation clarifies itself (i.e., both Ward and Mongo would have to go).   Wouldn't want to put all our eggs in a Francouz basket, so to speak.

Of course, if we signed Francouz and he bombed, I have little doubt that you'd blast the decision after the fact, citing our previous experience with unproven NHL goaltenders, regardless of what's available now or your current opinion on the matter, lol.

Caps fans seem to think that Holtby could be had in trade, many seem ready to transition over to Grubauer  as their #1 going forward.

As critical of RF as we were for not picking up Mrazek at the deadline (myself included), his performance after going to Philly was downright Mongo-esque, maybe even worse given the team behind him.   Which explains why some Wings fans on another board were offering him up for used equipment prior to his trade.   Hard pass on even bringing him into the conversation for me.    

I listed him because there are no worth while free agent keepers this off season.  Trading for Holtby is a pipe dream.  I would criticize the move if it failed, praise it if I picked the goalie and he did well, and claim ignorance if I said the goalie would not do well and actually did well.

• Like 1

I don't gamble.  Nothing against it, it simply does not thrill me.

But all I can think of is Francis went all in, blew it all, on Darling.  He put it all on red.  Odds are decent, right?

Black came up.  Game over.  What a crappy feeling.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Since we are using the gambling and poker analogies... Watching Darling is like a hand of Texas hold'em. You have statistically good hand so you ante up. Then as the hand progresses you don't get the cards you are hoping for and yours odds are crashing, but there is still a chance that the river lands you a straight. The raise is another year, so you ante up? Or will you give the hand to someone else, let them ante up, and go find a new hand??

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 3:23 PM, bluedevil58 said:

I listed him because there are no worth while free agent keepers this off season.  Trading for Holtby is a pipe dream.  I would criticize the move if it failed, praise it if I picked the goalie and he did well, and claim ignorance if I said the goalie would not do well and actually did well.

Why is Holtby in the doghouse anyways? 

Just based on stats, Holtby is #40 in the NHL in save percentage with >25 games played, just 11 ahead of last place Scott Darling (#51). Seems to have had a pretty down year.

That said though, he was the same as Cam Ward, but the difference is that this year was his outier worst year by far, while Cam is right on his career average.

I have no idea what happened with Holtby this year, but he has 2 more years at $5 million/year. I doubt the Caps would seriously trade him, but this type of trade, getting a proven #1 coming off a bad year, would be one possible strategy. Cory Schnieder is another very solid #1 coming off a substandard year.

On one hand it seems unlikely that these names would be up for trade, but it does happen.

• Like 1

We will see what happens in the off season but Winnipeg is in an interesting spot relating to goaltenders

Hellebyuck is a RFA

Mason has a big contract for 1 more year

Hutchinson is a UFA

and even their prospect Comrie is a RFA

Not sure if there is any interest in Hutchinson but I would imagine they are not letting go of Hellebyuck and might be open to moving Mason relatively cheap.