The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Thread about Goalies

38 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I remember a game, maybe 10 games in, where he kept pushing down on the top (webbing) of the catching glove as if it wasn't pliable enough. No question that will mess with anybody's head/confidence.

Appears to make your pads less reliable.  I'm surprised his mask and blocker haven't been swapped out, or maybe they'll be next.

On 1/13/2018 at 10:22 AM, super_dave_1 said:

Would you have expected otherwise?

On 1/13/2018 at 2:28 PM, bluedevilcane said:

It was second game of a B2B with an early Sunday game to follow. Mongo followed up his last good game with a stinker. Don’t need him trying to play 2 in 2 nights. Expect to see him tomorrow. Then he can prove he deserves another chance to be #1.

Well not too long ago Cam got B2B, "hot goalie" and all that. That and last time Cam was in a Caps game all of a sudden where were brown lumps thrown into the dessert just before the meal ended. And the results..... more brown lumps at the 3 minute warning.

It's time to turn to Ward. I don't mean a few more starts than Darling I mean paint his name on the crease and ride him. It is the only chance this team has. Many think Darling will be alright, right the ship, become the goalie we all hoped for but that hasn't happened. It may yet happen, some goalies regain game like a light switch is turned on but honestly if we are going to make a push for the playoffs Ward is our best bet. Darling will still need to play but let him earn it as a backup. For what ever reason we have little chance if he is a presumptive starter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

One player alone won't turn this around.  That was pretty obvious yesterday.

I agree but when we hang our goalie out it appears Ward can still give us a chance. 

Can you imagine if Ward was moved without a replacement? Mongo and Neds?? Not gonna happen. The PNC would be ablaze.

Top goaltender targets at the NHL trade deadline …

Jared Clinton of The Hockey News: Carter Hutton in St. Louis and Aaron Dell in San Jose may have played their way off the rental option list. It now seems unlikely that the Sharks will look to move their pending UFA backup goalie. Potential goalies that could become available at the NHL trade deadline include:

Antti Raanta – Arizona Coyotes: It might be worth it for the New York Islanders to give Raanta a shot.

Jonathan Bernier – Colorado Avalanche: The Avs may not be looking at being sellers anymore. Semyon Varlamov is still injured. The 29-year old Bernier is a pending UFA and carries a $2.75 million cap hit.

Cam Ward – Carolina Hurricanes: The Hurricanes are still in the playoff race, but if they fall out, they could look to move Ward. Maybe the Penguins would look for additional depth in net.

Robin Lehner – Buffalo Sabres: The 26-year old will be a restricted free agent after the season and carries a $4 million salary cap hit.

Petr Mrazek – Detroit Red Wings: The 25-year old will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season and carries a $4 million salary cap hit.

If the Canes are out of playoff contention, I could see Ward being rented out to give him a playoff run.

His contract is done at the end of this season. Possibly re-sign him again to a 1 or 2 yr deal.

I don't know if Colorado will part with Bernier. They are on a 9 game winning streak and have played themselves back into a playoff spot.

Could trade Mongo for Lehner straight up. They stats are almost identical, though Lehner has a better save % and he is Swedish, so there's that.

9 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Darling needs several good games in a row to fix his psyche. But the thing is that every bad game just deepens the hole his psych is in

That's why you send him to CLT to regain his confidence and not be destructive for the Canes.

From WRAL article:

Head coach Bill Peters didn't answer a question Sunday night about whether the team has lost trust in Darling, but he did note a recent trend of poor defensive efforts.

"We have to be better in front of our goaltenders. Going into the Detroit game there were four games going into the bye week we'd given up 20-plus goals. Then we give up five tonight," he said. "That's not a recipe for success no matter who your goaltender is and who you're playing."

Peters said Monday that he's planning to talk with Darling about his struggles and what the team and coaching staff can do to help him regain his confidence.

The result of that chat will go a long way to determining how much Cam Ward starts in net over the next few weeks and whether or not the streaky Hurricanes can get on another run that puts them in the playoff conversation.

Peters said Sunday that it's "desperation time" for his team.

42 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Since this is the "new and improved goalie" thread, I'd sure like to see a new and improved goalie.

That was part of the idea for the name. But since it has not happened, a change in the name of the thread seemed in order.

But good point. A new and improved Darling would change everything, well a lot anyways.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I would like to be a fly on that wall

Hopefully he hands them a pair of bus tickets.  This is the NHL and I'm no fan of therapy when there are 20+ other players to worry about.

45 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

At some point we have to hold the coach and GM accountable for goalies coming here and then not able to stop *edit*.  Something is amiss.  It's happened 3 times now.

You have got to wonder about our scouts, and if they really exist.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

At some point we have to hold the coach and GM accountable for goalies coming here and then not able to stop *edit*.  Something is amiss.  It's happened 3 times now.

43 minutes ago, winger52 said:

You have got to wonder about our scouts, and if they really exist.

I'm more in BD's camp on this (God help us all, the apocalypse is upon us).  Although this has spanned 2 GM's and 3 HC's, something is rotten here when it comes to goalies, and I don't think it comes down to the scouting (other than maybe through drafting).  Something is wrong, institutionally.   It's almost like how can you swing and miss every time.  We couldn't run Kudobin off fast enough after we broke him, and he's landed on his feet.  Lack was serviceable when he came, and we broke him.  We broke Briscoe before we even got the package unwrapped.  

Edited by super_dave_1