The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Thread about Goalies

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

At some point we have to hold the coach and GM accountable for goalies coming here and then not able to stop *edit*.  Something is amiss.  It's happened 3 times now.

No argument from me, I've wondered about this for years.  

• Like 1

I think Cam has a reversible book case at home near a fireplace that he pulls a lever and it flips around with picture frames of every goalie whose tried and failed to take his job. 

It's not in Cam's heart but when the final game happens he outta flip Ronnie off and walk out the door.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, winger52 said:

You have got to wonder about our scouts, and if they really exist.

Sure they do.  They are in the listed team directory.  They get a nice paycheck for watching some games.   

Hopefully, it is more than that, but I have to wonder.  

I once sat on a plane next to a minor league baseball scout.  The dude was crunching numbers like crazy.   He said, at least in his case, it was a pretty intensive job, and he loved it.  He washed out due to injury.

Edited by wxray1

15 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I think Cam has a reversible book case at home near a fireplace that he pulls a lever and it flips around with picture frames of every goalie whose tried and failed to take his job. 

It's not in Cam's heart but when the final game happens he outta flip Ronnie off and walk out the door.

Watching all these goalies fail here leads me to believe that Cam might actually be really good.

15 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Watching all these goalies fail here leads me to believe that Cam might actually be really good.

I think he is.  The talent in front of him has a lot to do with it.

It is clear that TD intends to spend a lot more on scouting.  The nickel and dimeing across the board has had far reaching effects.  We all knew it was PK behind it all, it just isn't going to be an instant fix.

It sucks we have to wait AGAIN but at least this time we can count on change.  I have no doubt that change is coming.

Edited by hag65
spelling counts
  • Like 3

I'm all for upgrading our scouting, always. However, that was part of the Francis plan when he took over. I think our scouts have been crushing it in the last several years overall. The second round has been extraordinary since J Faulk, (really since Dumoulin) and we haven't completely whiffed on a first rounder since 2011 (R. Murphy), and our second rounders, who on average make it 25% of the time, and late rounders, 12%/year combined, so about 37% each year. We are hitting on a proven 100% (not counting PDG or any of the undetermined still players).

What I will cop to is that we have not yet unearthed a Superstar forward. Aho has the chops to get there and Skinner may be the closest, but he's just too streaky in his overall game. Also, I think Necas could also be that guy. That said, we still might end up with a superstar D man in Hanifin and possibly Fleury and Bean too, and clearly Slavin is pretty close, and Pesce is a super lock down guy.

Second round and later: 2010- 2015: 6 years. 7 NHL players, 2 bonefide stars and a third top pair D man, and a 4th 3X All Star.

>100 NHL games:

J Faulk, V. Rask, B. McGinn, PDG, J. Slavin, B. Pesce, S. Aho. Go back another year: B. Dumoulin.

(Predicted return: 2-3 NHL players).

Undetermined: Nedeljovic, Warren Foegele, Nic Roy, Lucas Wallmark, Trevor Carrick, David Cotton and more...

First rounders:

(No 1st rounder in 2012)

E Lindholm: maybe a stretch at 5, but a solid player with a strong two way game a strong plus minus, and lots of upside still.

N Hanifin: All Star in his third season

H. Fleury: already looks smooth and solid.

2016-17: Too soon to tell:

Martin Necas, Jake Bean, J Gauthier, J Koukkannen, H. Elynuik, E. Loustarinen, S. Mattios, L. Martin, and more....

And now for the part about goalies: The problem, and it seems to be a big crap shoot for a lot of teams, is landing that top 15 #1 goalie. Cam Ward is the closest we've come, and that says something both ways. But we have not found a Lundquist, Quick, etc.

Helvig and Booth have looked good, so who knows? But Ned just can't seem to get the save % right.

I don't know if it's proven to be effective, but if anything a team of goalie scouts might help.

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

I think he is.  The talent in front of him has a lot to do with it.

Agreed. That said, his lack of focus does too. Cam is often very, very good in big games; it's what secured his future here. Defensive lapses come with the turf, and the keeper's job is to bail his D out, just as theirs is to return the favor. None of which is to discount the fact that Cam's habitual lack of focus after too much work was very likely instilled during all those years of really bad Ds.

Which makes Darling's lack of focus all the more confounding: He excelled with a middling D, and has been awful behind one that is much tighter (most of the time).

Edited by top-shelf-1
typos

I want that guy.  Can we get that guy?

Not related to Darling but just a general goaltender question - where is Altshuller these days?  I can't remember - did we let him go?  hockeydb doesn't give any stats for him this season at all.

I dunno if its his beard but Scott Darling here has some chubby cheeks and Scott Darling there looks slim and trim facially.

The Chicago Scott Darling can stop on a dime in his butterfly push whereas ours keeps sliding out of the crease. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Not related to Darling but just a general goaltender question - where is Altshuller these days?  I can't remember - did we let him go?  hockeydb doesn't give any stats for him this season at all.

We didn't renew him after last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I dunno if its his beard but Scott Darling here has some chubby cheeks and Scott Darling there looks slim and trim facially.

The Chicago Scott Darling can stop on a dime in his butterfly push whereas ours keeps sliding out of the crease. 

He does look like he spent some of that contract money on Aunt Bee's cooking

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

That can be 3 things.

1.  He is out OF shape.  Due to a change in diet/work out routine.

2.  He isn't really out of shape and he just appears to look different.

3..let's not even mention or think about what is all in the back of our minds in some shape or form.  If not, the thought has crossed all if our minds at least once.

Edited by bluedevil58

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I want that guy.  Can we get that guy?

Altshuller playing college hockey.The York Lions have added goalie Daniel Altshuller to red-shirt in '17-18 before becoming eligible for university hockey for 3yrs in '18-19.DKSK5tIW0AANxOL.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Altshuller playing college hockey.The York Lions have added goalie Daniel Altshuller to red-shirt in '17-18 before becoming eligible for university hockey for 3yrs in '18-19.DKSK5tIW0AANxOL.jpg

I'm guessing he wants to indulge in his passion while pursuing a degree. Good for him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Obviously the college rules about amateur status are different in Canada than in the US.

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah.  With juniors being quasi "professional hockey", I guess they need some leeway.  Good for him.

Tough that he didn't have what it took to be a NHL tender.  He came with some good expectations, but like all our goalies, we broke him.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:03 AM, super_dave_1 said:

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah.  With juniors being quasi "professional hockey", I guess they need some leeway.  Good for him.

Tough that he didn't have what it took to be a NHL tender.  He came with some good expectations, but like all our goalies, we broke him.

I could easily see juniors being excepted, but Altshuler played ECHL and AHL.  Although . . . he probably earned less in the AHL than some of our college basketball and football players have been paid to attend some major university programs in the US. :P

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 7:03 AM, super_dave_1 said:

Dundon needs to go to Tibet and find a goalie Lama or something and bring him in as goalie coach.  What we do certainly doesn't work.   Somewhere there is a guy with the answer.   

Someone who doesn't break a guy the second they join the Canes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

Dundon needs to go to Tibet and find a goalie Lama or something and bring him in as goalie coach.  What we do certainly doesn't work.   Somewhere there is a guy with the answer.   

Someone who doesn't break a guy the second they join the Canes.

Maybe Mongo could go meet his goalie coach from when he was in Chicago in a dark alley somewhere and pay him under the table to get to whatever he was doing differently there. I just can't believe that somehow Chicago being a better team confused other teams into not seeing that gaping 5 hole, or stopped Darling from being able to catch a pop up. Something else. I have no idea what, but something else has to be going on.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Maybe Mongo could go meet his goalie coach from when he was in Chicago in a dark alley somewhere and pay him under the table to get to whatever he was doing differently there. I just can't believe that somehow Chicago being a better team confused other teams into not seeing that gaping 5 hole, or stopped Darling from being able to catch a pop up. Something else. I have no idea what, but something else has to be going on.

Pls lose 20 lbs. When I look at older video he appears to be much more mobile. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

There should be some sort of clause in the contact about that if it's true. (I'm not saying that there is, but that there ought to be IMO).

8 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Interesting that Tripp mentioned Darling lost 10 lbs over the last 3 weeks and feels stronger and faster. 

Edited by slapshot02

39 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Interesting that Tripp mentioned Darling lost 20 lbs over the last 3 weeks and feels stronger and faster. 

I thought he said 10lbs?  But I wouldn't swear to it . . .