The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Thread about Goalies

I have never seen a goalie with worse ability to freeze the puck.  Last night he missed covering the puck sitting stationary in the crease with that massive glove, and it truly massive, I bumped it in the fan tunnel last Friday.

Even in that video of him a few years back he didn't catch it all that well, but he was lightning quick to recover from it.

I wasn't going to take the flak for posting this after a 4-1 win being a debbie downer but I thought he looked like crap against the Nucks as well. He just couldn't find the rebounds, even the ones between his legs I was saying to myself that craps going to go in. It did, just wrong game.

One of those crazy 'memories' things came up on my FB page a while back and a year ago the Canes had played the Hawks and i made a post about how the Canes spent the whole night shooting the puck into the Hawk logo on Darling's chest.  Is that how he got by last year, everyone shooting into the logo?  I swear this isn't the same guy as last year.  I still think he's going to get it dialed in but can we afford to give him the time to do it?  I'm with those who think a run in Charlotte could be beneficial.  Looking at the rafters after every goal allowed with the Canes isn't giving him any epiphanies.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

As I think about Raanta, I think that from his point of view it might depend on what we do with Cam and Darling. The guy is finally a #1 goalie, albeit in Arizona whose short term prospects are not inspiring.

If we waive Darling and he's picked up, or if we plan to buy him out, we could do a trade and sign with Raanta. Especially if he's not sure about staying in Arizona. If I'm Arizona though, I want to keep him, so that probably makes a trade tough. Still, we could throw a lot at him, even as a rental with the idea of re signing him. Fixing goalie is that important. First rounder? I know that's usually nuts, but this team not only does not have a clear plan this year, or next year, but also no proven prospects after that.

Huge dilemma. IMO the goalie situation supersede's any discussion of forwards. We are actually in a worse dilemma than we were in the off season. Raanta isn't the answer either. His first year as a starter and he is 11-20. Cam will be 34 next year and another twitch or two slower than this year. The guy we need to go after heavily with TD's pocket book is Aaron Dell. He's 28 and is a RFA at the end of this year. I doubt San Jose offers the money to keep him after locking Martin Jones down on a huge deal. No he isn't a proven starter but I think he may be the best opportunity out there. Money talks and if TD wants to offer the right amount he could be in Carolina. I'd love for Scott to turn it around as we have term and dollars tied up with him. I just don't know if we want to take the chance for 20+ games at the beginning of next year to see if the demons have been exorcised. This may be another stumbling block for Scott, but does the organization stick with him? IMO we need to cut the cord, take the loss,  I don't think there will be many suitors willing to spend 4 mil on him so we will have to eat some salary.  Tough time for Scott,the organization and the fans. Even Tripp made the comment last night that this is tough to watch. RF/TD please keep Aaron Dell in your sights!

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

I have never seen a goalie with worse ability to freeze the puck.  Last night he missed covering the puck sitting stationary in the crease with that massive glove, and it truly massive, I bumped it in the fan tunnel last Friday.

Even in that video of him a few years back he didn't catch it all that well, but he was lightning quick to recover from it.

I've been saying all year to Mrs. Shot that SD can't see his own PP when starring straight down.

16 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Huge dilemma. IMO the goalie situation supersede's any discussion of forwards. We are actually in a worse dilemma than we were in the off season. Raanta isn't the answer either. His first year as a starter and he is 11-20. Cam will be 34 next year and another twitch or two slower than this year. The guy we need to go after heavily with TD's pocket book is Aaron Dell. He's 28 and is a RFA at the end of this year. I doubt San Jose offers the money to keep him after locking Martin Jones down on a huge deal. No he isn't a proven starter but I think he may be the best opportunity out there. Money talks and if TD wants to offer the right amount he could be in Carolina. I'd love for Scott to turn it around as we have term and dollars tied up with him. I just don't know if we want to take the chance for 20+ games at the beginning of next year to see if the demons have been exorcised. This may be another stumbling block for Scott, but does the organization stick with him? IMO we need to cut the cord, take the loss,  I don't think there will be many suitors willing to spend 4 mil on him so we will have to eat some salary.  Tough time for Scott,the organization and the fans. Even Tripp made the comment last night that this is tough to watch. RF/TD please keep Aaron Dell in your sights!

I hope your only argument against Raanta isnt being 11-20 on an awful Coyotes team.  That is like saying you dont want a under 2.5 ERA pitcher that isnt a 20 game winner because he is on the Marlins.  Raanta has a .920 sv % and a 2.53 GAA.  He is 13th and 14 the in the league for SV% and GAA, respectively, despite being on a really awful team.  But lets grab an untested backup and sign them long term.  Maybe third time is a charm, right?  

The Coyotes are only -51 in goal differential this year. 

Imagine the numbers with our shot suppressing system?  Heck Cam is 17th for GAA and 26th for SV %. Darling 34th and 42nd.  

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I've been saying all year to Mrs. Shot that SD can't see his own PP when starring straight down.

Losing the 10 lbs may have helped there.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I hope your only argument against Raanta isnt being 11-20 on an awful Coyotes team.  That is like saying you dont want a under 2.5 ERA pitcher that isnt a 20 game winner because he is on the Marlins.  Raanta has a .920 sv % and a 2.53 GAA.  He is 13th and 14 the in the league for SV% and GAA, respectively, despite being on a really awful team.  But lets grab an untested backup and sign them long term.  Maybe third time is a charm, right?  

The Coyotes are only -51 in goal differential this year. 

Imagine the numbers with our shot suppressing system?  Heck Cam is 17th for GAA and 26th for SV %. Darling 34th and 42nd.  

My concern isn't only being 11-20  this year. Yes the Coyotes suck. I have a concern is that Raanta has been in the league 5 years.4 years as a back up and already on his third team. Yes his numbers look good. Chicago traded him then the Rangers traded him. Is he the right fit here? I don't know. He's not a proven starter either. Dell certainly looked good against us beating Ward and the Canes 3-1 on 30 shots faced.

Edited by slapshot02

I can understand those concerns. He wasn’t traded from teams looking for starting but for cheap and good backups.  NYR had their franchise starter. Plus hard to turn down a number 7 pick for 2 dudes you couldn’t afford to keep long term anyways.

Raanta has plenty of experience being a starter, moreso than Darling or Lack. Plus in Arizona, goalie experience counts twice as much with as bad as they are. 

Smith put up solid numbers there and is still doing well in Calgary.  Doing well against us doesn’t equate to be a starter.  Darling is a good example of that.

8 hours ago, OBXer said:

. . .

The backup is probable going to be called on a minimum of 6 more times down the stretch.  Twelve important points. I think it is time to get Darling to Charlotte to work on his game. Let Ned have a chance. What do we have to lose but a game that with Darling we have a good chance to lose anyway. Let Darling regain some confidence, .let him do some soul searching. Bring him back if he regains form but help this guy get his game back.

That may depend on how viable Ned really is as a potential long term solution.  We think we hurt Lindholm and Hanifin's development by playing them in the NHL too soon?  How much is that risk increased for a head case position like goalie?  I'm not saying we shouldn't give Ned a chance, just pointing out a potential risk. 

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:
More

Frank Seravalli Retweeted Dave Isaac

#Wings offered Mrazek to PHI for 3rd round pick and #Flyers declined. Wonder if that changes. ???

I was just thinking about that, slap. Wonder if Francis could get that deal, send Darling down to Charlotte for conditioning and plug Mrazek in for a go here with opportunity to bring him aboard  next year also? Could we afford another leap of faith in a backup? I still, like top, think that Darling could be an NHL goalie and thus hate to give up on him too soon, much like Khudobin and ?? Lack, although not too sure about Lacko even though he won last night. Maybe we just don't have the right type of tacos here in North Carolina?

I remember the start of the season being excited to see Darling in his first home appearance.  What I saw, and what was said here was some mild concern about his movement.  We all just hoped it was an anomaly, and would go away.

It did not go away.

It got a lot worse.  My goodness, what a mess.

The biggest take away from the post game for me is that Peters saying Aho will be in the middle for the next 4 games.

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The biggest take away from the post game for me is that Peters saying Aho will be in the middle for the next 4 games.

Peters still talking about his 7-game plan, LOL!  I'm not impressed with his plan so far, to say the least.

9 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Peters still talking about his 7-game plan,

Yeah. It appears the plan is to try out players for next season. Can't ever start too early to get a jump on next year :huh:

Fun fact.  Darling is on track to have the worst season  in terms of goalie stats of the last decade.  Some dude named Vesa Toskala may have him beat though.

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Fun fact.  Darling is on track to have the worst season  in terms of goalie stats of the last decade.  Some dude named Vesa Toskala may have him beat though.

I remember Toskala.  This is what he was known for:

We need to clean goalie house. I'd hire a GM that can find us a good goalie tandem even if that's all they did well.

I don't think you can sum up our goalie situation any better than this:

TheHockeyNews had an article ranking NHL backups.  Ward and Mongo had both played in 39 games, and for some reason they picked Ward as the backup.  And our actual #1 (Ward) only ranked #14 among other teams backups. :o

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/second-best-masked-men-ranking-the-nhl-s-31-backup-goalies

Edited by LakeLivin

BTW Darls was upset but this wasnt on him.  It really was suckass special teams that did us in.

• Like 2

I do agree it wasn't on Darling but I think his Brians are letting him down.

If for some crazy reason Darling's back next year he needs to give serious consideration to a new leg pad company. Brian's makes a very active rebound pad and it cost him 2 goals. I don't think Cam's Vaughns would launch the first goal to Zacha and I don't think Cam's Vaughns woulda put a rebound 4 feet in front of him on the final goal.

I mean he was in a still butterfly and it still went 4 feet as if the pads are made out of literal rubber. That's just silly.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I do agree it wasn't on Darling but I think his Brians are letting him down.

If for some crazy reason Darling's back next year he needs to give serious consideration to a new leg pad company. Brian's makes a very active rebound pad and it cost him 2 goals. I don't think Cam's Vaughns would launch the first goal to Zacha and I don't think Cam's Vaughns woulda put a rebound 4 feet in front of him on the final goal.

I mean he was in a still butterfly and it still went 4 feet as if the pads are made out of literal rubber. That's just silly.

Irbe wasn't so crazy after all.  I think...  Nothing like old, dead, resewed pads to swallow up the pucks.

• Like 2