The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Thread about Goalies

Speaking of Ned, last I heard he was scratched in Syracuse and it looks like the Chex signed a local beer league goalie on the spot as an emergency backup.  Any more news about Ned's status?

43 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Speaking of Ned, last I heard he was scratched in Syracuse and it looks like the Chex signed a local beer league goalie on the spot as an emergency backup.  Any more news about Ned's status?

The move comes after Alex Nedeljkovic missed Saturday’s contest in Syracuse. The good news for Charlotte is that it’s nothing serious ailing the AHL’s wins leader.

“He’s fine, it’s more precaution than anything,” said head coach Mike Vellucci of Nedeljkovic. “We just want to make sure. We have four games this week so we want to get him ready for the weekend.”

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

On poker strategy:

Considering what you've spent so far is foolish.  And it's downright sad in more important matters; ever hear someone you care about extend a bad relationship because of how much they've already invested in it? :cry:   But back to poker; don't you consider how much you stand to win if you do hit vs. what it costs to call to see that last card?  Take an extreme example: say there's already $8 in the pot and you can call the last bet for just  .25.   Aren't you going to make that call, even knowing that your chances of hitting your gut shot draw might only be 10% (4 cards that will make your straight out of the 40 cards in the deck you haven't seen, either yours or your opponents up cards) ?   Sure, you're going to lose 90% of the time (losing 9 times = $2.25).  But that one time in ten you do win nets you $8.00.   In the long run, that's a good raffle ticket to buy.  In that example, the optimal strategy is to call anything up to and including a 75 cent bet.   BUT you have to be able to withstand the pain of losing that extra money 90% of the time knowing you gain the benefit of winning even more the 10% of the time you do hit.  Similar principle to pulling the goalie early; the optimal strategy is going to be painful most of the time, but when it does work, you win big.

If anyone is wondering, no, I don't actually do those actual calculations when I'm at the table, too much work for a friendly weekly poker game, lol.  But I keep the principle in mind and try to play in accordance.  If I think I can see that last card cheaply enough, I'll call, knowing I'm buying a raffle ticket.     

You are overlooking the part where it costs about $4 million for them to draw that last card in this scenario, not a quarter.  I wasn't worried about what was already spent.  That money is gone.  

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

In which case we were speaking on different levels.  I was speaking generally to the principles stated, not the specifics of Darling.  You won't hear me argue against cutting our losses with Darling; I don't have enough expertise to know what the odds are of him finding a game.  Matter of fact, unless we have some experts that can identify something systematic they think they can fix, I'd be leaning towards cutting our losses, as well.  And if we don't, I'd treat Darling as a very expensive prospect who has no more of an advantage than someone like Ned.    

13 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

You are overlooking the part where it costs about $4 million for them to draw that last card in this scenario, not a quarter.  I wasn't worried about what was already spent.  That money is gone.  

Nah, I was just clarifying general principles.  When it comes to Darling, I'm more in agreement with you than the other way around.   And my guess is that, unless Darling really shines in a couple more games this year, and given what I perceive of Dundon's personality, we'll be buying out Darling come June.  Unless the new GM feels strongly the other way, which I don't know why he would.

Completely unrelated, out of curiosity, what game(s) do you play in your regular poker game?

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Nah, I was just clarifying general principles.  When it comes to Darling, I'm more in agreement with you than the other way around.   And my guess is that, unless Darling really shines in a couple more games this year, and given what I perceive of Dundon's personality, we'll be buying out Darling come June.  Unless the new GM feels strongly the other way, which I don't know why he would.

Completely unrelated, out of curiosity, what game(s) do you play in your regular poker game?

Not Texas Hold Em

Mostly 5 and 7 card stud,  5 card draw, and  Follow the Queen

19 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Not Texas Hold Em

Mostly 5 and 7 card stud,  5 card draw, and  Follow the Queen

In our group it would probably be easier to specify what games we don't play.  Lots of wild card and split pot games, and we've even bastardized some of the standards to the point where we have to specify which version we're playing.  A purist would say we're using the term "poker" quite loosely, lol.

30 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

In our group it would probably be easier to specify what games we don't play.  Lots of wild card and split pot games, and we've even bastardized some of the standards to the point where we have to specify which version we're playing.  A purist would say we're using the term "poker" quite loosely, lol.

We play some of that.  A little Baseball (7 card stud with 3s and 9s wild) and High or Low Chicago (7 card stud with high or low spade in the hole splitting the pot).

On 4/2/2018 at 2:39 PM, hag65 said:

I wish we could try him up here.

Patience grasshopper. I think he's our #2 next season.

On 4/2/2018 at 2:56 PM, LakeLivin said:

And my guess is that, unless Darling really shines [...] and given what I perceive of Dundon's personality, we'll be buying out Darling come June.

I'll take that bet. Based on Dundon's commitment to fitness and Darling's comment about immediately getting "better food choices," I think he gets a personal trainer this summer, shows up not merely fit but sculpted, and tosses a shutout on opening night.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

..., and tosses a shutout on opening night.

You haven't been sampling the magic beans again, have you?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

This goal trending situation is going to scare any high end UFA away from this team.  Big problem. 

Not really true bluedevil58, if you think about it. Might be a carrot for someone who'll feel they have to score more, their forte?

I'm more concerned about the practice facility issue than the goalie issue in negotiations with UFA's.  If the guy can get the same money just about anywhere, why come to the place that practices in a dump when some teams have a castle?  Seriously, if you have never been to a practice away from the arena, do so and judge for yourself.

I'm ready to see a picture of Tom Dundon with one of them gold shovels breaking ground on a state of the art practice facility. 

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 3

How about that Callum Booth, dear mother of god please don't be just adrenaline but boy is that the best start a Canes goalie prospects gotten off to in some time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Didn't see that coming from Rantaa's side of things, figured he'd bolt from that situation.

Very surprised he stayed with Arizona. 1 less option for us.

Okay, just read that, and sorry he decided to stay with Coyotes also. 3 years, ugh. top believes, as I am inclined to that Darling shows up better conditioned and in better frame of mind. I for one would not discount that realizing how much he's come through in real life, not on the ice.

• Like 1

Darling shows up? Lol. Ok.  That is the definition of blind optimism.   Relying on him next season is already throwing the season away.

I'm not seeing moves that will help us this off season.  Our penny pincher of an owner just isn't inclined to spend $$.  I base my presumptions on the owner given his gracious 400K offering for a GM.  So there is substance behind my claim.

Edited by bluedevil58

In my mind, Darling can not be counted on to be in a Canes jersey next year.  If the plan is to stick him in Charlotte and see if he can be rehabilitated, then ok, but I really don't like that either.  Rip the bandage off and get it over with.  Sending him to Charlotte requires him to be paid at the NHL level and then 2 more goalies have to be paid a NHL wage to play for the Canes.  A buyout will at least ease the financial pain.

• Like 1