The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Thread about Goalies

53 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

. . .

I'm not seeing moves that will help us this off season.  Our penny pincher of an owner just isn't inclined to spend $$.  I base my presumptions on the owner given his gracious 400K offering for a GM.  So there is substance behind my claim.

First off, from what I can tell no one really knows what the deal with the GM search was. Lots of speculation, but that's about it.

What I do know is that Dundon has already overpaid for his share of the team according to every prior estimation of it's value that was out there. That's hardly consistent with penny pinching.   And that he's specifically said that he won't be outbid for players unless the cost gets ridiculous.  So until I see him do the opposite, I think I'll take Dundon at his word.  I think we must have different definitions of the word "substance", lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

36 minutes ago, BadgerCane1958 said:

Big off season trade with Washington. Get Holtby. Caps would have Grubauer & open a spot for Samsonov. They won’t miss him. I know it’s a Metropolitan deal, but makes sense.

On a related note, is anybody else thinking Washington might move Ovechkin if when the Caps go out early again this year?

22 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

On a related note, is anybody else thinking Washington might move Ovechkin if when the Caps go out early again this year?

Do...not...want 

14 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

First off, from what I can tell no one really knows what the deal with the GM search was. Lots of speculation, but that's about it.

What I do know is that Dundon has already overpaid for his share of the team according to every prior estimation of it's value that was out there. That's hardly consistent with penny pinching.   And that he's specifically said that he won't be outbid for players unless the cost gets ridiculous.  So until I see him do the opposite, I think I'll take Dundon at his word.  I think we must have different definitions of the word "substance", lol.

I think BD58 actually has a point.  Dundon has talked a big game about money, but the only money I've seen him really spend is to burn a box and invite all his best buddies for a blow out boy's party.

When I start to hear from the players and some of the staff I know about money being spent on the team, and when I hear about the practice facility, and most importantly when he signs a real GM and pays for a real FA, then I'll believe.  But right now, my hope is fading damn fast.

Just telling people to go to the lower bowl cost nothing.  Oh wait!  That's right, he lowered the cost of food for a while.  Oh yeah, still costs nothing, just not as big a profit.

Pffft!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Believe it when I see it.  Until I see it I don't believe he will spend money on good players.  You can create myths in your head to justify an argument all you want.  Fact of the matter is, there has not been a single player acquisition since his time as owner.  Until the happens.  I am standing by our owner being a cheap skate.

• Like 1

Help me out here.  Since Dundon bought the Canes in mid January, what opportunities did he even have to invest in players?  Obviously, FAs don't become available until the summer.  Are there possible contract extensions for current Canes you think should have had in place by now? What am I missing?

Hey, in spite of what he's said,  it's possible that TD turns out to be cheap when it comes to players.  But if there's any evidence of that so far I've missed it.  Matter of fact, the players have already noted an improvement over PK with regard to investing in equipment.

What we do agree on is that one can "create myths in ones head" to justify preconceptions, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 4

I think it's a little premature to call Dundon cheap, at least until we see what happens this summer.  When RF did nothing to improve the team, he decided to relieve him of his duties and pay him to keep the elephants and seaweed out of the arena.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Help me out here.  Since Dundon bought the Canes in mid January, what opportunities did he even have to invest in players?  Obviously, FAs don't become available until the summer.  Are there possible contract extensions for current Canes you think should have had in place by now? What am I missing?

Seriously. After the barren years of PK's Bargain Basement, I get the skepticism to an extent. But when you look at the opportunities he's had to spend money to improve the team - i.e., none - it sounds a lot more like trolling than thinking.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Seriously. After the barren years of PK's Bargain Basement, I get the skepticism to an extent. But when you look at the opportunities he's had to spend money to improve the team - i.e., none - it sound a lot more like trolling than thinking.

Evander Kane for a 2nd round pick and a prospect.   Yep.  No opportunity there. 

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

That's right. Kane is TNT that blows up dressing rooms. But before you toss out Stastny or even Mrazek (as I have), TD has already addressed the problem: Ron Francis as GM. So take your bait and try another pond.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Didn't the cheap stuff creep in with trying to get a new GM at a 50% discount? That just seemed so odd.

(1) That report was never confirmed, and (2) it's his cow. He gets to milk it any way he pleases. If TD wants to hire a GM and give him the job of assembling all the options and opinions of those who assess talent, so that TD can make the final call, he can--because - unlike FatStacks - he bought the freakin' team. To paraphrase BB King, until FatStacks is paying the cost, he don't get to be the boss. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

58 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

(1) That report was never confirmed, and (2) it's his cow. He gets to milk it any way he pleases. If TD wants to hire a GM and give him the job of assembling all the options and opinions of those who assess talent, so that TD can make the final call, he can--because - unlike FatStacks - he bought the freakin' team. To paraphrase BB King, until FatStacks is paying the cost, he don't get to be the boss. 

It was repeated by some reputable people I thought, but I don't know. Of course he has the right to go cheap on his GM, but it does fairly open the door to speculation about it, if true.

My own take is that the GM thing will work itself out, but the inexperience factor of the owner led to arguable missteps of removing Francis then publically going after high profile assistant GM's before their playoff run while publically suggesting that said GM would be a bit emasculated and part of a decision committee, and then possibly trying to lowball their salary, suggest a reasonable concern. Then Dundon comes out and says he's thinking of not having a GM?

I'm still very optimistic, and I get it's Dundons' team, and as a fan I don't get to make the calls (since I turned down the GM job), but I do get to comment on them, and recent moves have created topics of conversation.

Cheap?  We'll know after FA starts and the draft when dealing is more likely.  Before then we should have a new GM.  Meanwhile, he seems to be spending on analytics and bought Darling a new set of pads.   ok, that last part is just a pacifier for Mongo while he decides about a buyout.

Too early to call him cheap.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

So you think the reason we didn't go after rental E Kane was because Dundon didn't want to pay him a quarter seasons salary?  And not because of RFs decision making, in spite of his history regarding trades?  Sorry, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by LakeLivin

Proof will be in the pudding of course.. IMO Way to many issues with our team to be fixed with hopes and maybes... Coaching / GM / Scoring / Defending / 1C / Goalie / PARKING COST just to name a few...its going to take a large checkbook and a burning desire to WIN, to bring back that warm fuzzy feeling to a tired fan base...

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I remember you chiming in up and down that Francis wasn't going to be removed because that would shun Dundon from the big boys club / old school GM club. Which is a tight knit group.  Look what happened.  I base my opinion on the actions I have seen so far or lack there of.  We are all entitled to our own opinions.  My opinion is actions speak louder than words and I have YET to see any actions. 

Edited by bluedevil58

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

My opinion is actions speak louder than words and I have YET to see any actions. 

Aside from firing the guy who declined to bring in the Kane you wanted so badly, of course.

13 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I remember you chiming in up and down that Francis wasn't going to be removed because that would shun Dundon from the big boys club / old school GM club. Which is a tight knit group.  Look what happened.  I base my opinion on the actions I have seen so far or lack there of.  We are all entitled to our own opinions. 

I believe I said Dundon better be ready for a backlash if he does it, and if memory serves, said that before the deadline. RF's total lack of action deserved a response, and I supported his removal.

My opinion is actions speak louder than words and I have YET to see any actions.

And still you ignore (which is your wont) what others have pointed out: Firing your GM is action, and pretty much the only one available given how things played out. RF and TD have made all nicey-nice about it publicly, but who really believes that Dundon did not want to see moves prior to the deadline? One only needs to look at what both men have said on the record, Dundon saying he believed the team could win now and RF's near-constant blather these last four years about "lowering expectations" to reach that conclusion. The deadline was RF's chance to keep his job. He blew it, and Dundon acted.  

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

My actions are more geared towards whether TD is going to spend money or not.  Firing RF was not the action that signified if TD is going to spend $$$.  It was s good action but not the thing that leads me to believe that this franchise is going to be a spender on big time free agents / player acquisitions for once..

I think TD didn't do himself or the club any favors by freely sharing his unorthodox ideas. I would have been happy if he had just left it at being willing to spend money to build a competitive and winning team and then hand the mic off to bd58.   

26 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

I think TD didn't do himself or the club any favors by freely sharing his unorthodox ideas. I would have been happy if he had just left it at being willing to spend money to build a competitive and winning team and then hand the mic off to bd58.   

I think that's what has me.  I am a little miffed right now by the position he has put the team in.  Ya'll are right, actions this summer will tell the story.  Let's remember this and regroup, say, August 1 and assess the situation.

Hopefully we'll chalk up these missteps as a Mr. Dundon goes to Toronto moment.  He put it out there and welcomed some scrutiny.  Well, he got it.