The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Dundon In Charge

What have we learned. Dundon took charge and immediately drew a contrast between the old and the new. At the announcement presser there he was surrounded by suits and he wore his casual Canes gear. He immediately made marketing changes. $40 dollar seats, discounted concessions and a race for cheaper parking. He also moved Canes gear into the lobby.

From Jan. 19-21, take advantage of the Carolina Hurricanes' best lower-level ticket offer of the season, and for 11 games in January and February, save money on parking and your favorite PNC Arena concessions

When will we see his first hockey inspired move?

12 minutes ago, OBXer said:

What have we learned. Dundon took charge and immediately drew a contrast between the old and the new. At the announcement presser there he was surrounded by suits and he wore his casual Canes gear. He immediately made marketing changes. $40 dollar seats, discounted concessions and a race for cheaper parking. He also moved Canes gear into the lobby.

When will we see his first hockey inspired move?

I (and hundreds more just like me) was really hoping it would happen during this 5-day week of rest and relaxation - particularly in light of the Aho situation.  That it didn't fills me with doom, despair, and agony, though of course RF could have rung every GM in the league and been unsuccessful.  But it was a good time for a move.

Edited by realmdrakkar
typo

My take is Dundon took a look at what he could improve right away. The marketing side to try and generate some excitement in the arena.

I expect this trend will continue when it is time and to see a restructure season ticket plans with added incentives

I think as he becomes accustomed to the team and the management he will make his feelings known but I would think he will allow those he has in charge will make the decisions. The big difference will be and I expect he will make the resources available to make the moves.

I'll also be interested to see if he makes some management changes. Maybe not big changes but placing his people in key roles.

I've noticed since TD took over there have been some new suits (~5) in the management box on the south end.  We have been trying to figure out who they are -  they sit there taking notes and punching on tablets.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2018 at 3:01 PM, LakeLivin said:

Thanks OBXer, great article  In addition to coaching, a lot of other interesting thoughts from Dundon.

• What’s the best advice you’ve been given?  “Don’t walk in thinking you can make the team better without understanding it”

• “I think your premise is right, that we are underinvested (in the scouting department). We are investing in improvements in technology and information. Way more money into analytics and data capture.  I’ve done the research. Successful teams have primarily drafted important roles, especially on offence. I have a saying: ‘There is art in science.’ Just data and [only] data will lose. I want our scouts to tell me their biases and preferences. Then we can confirm or take a second look. "

• "We will have more information than the market on our guys, so we should always keep our best,” Dundon said. “Put it this way — we won’t lose players we want for five per cent more money. Now, if someone (else) does something irrational? Losing the players we want will never be because of the money — it will be because someone does something irrational that makes us question the value. I believe we can run the business in a way that will make it work.”

• "If there is a player available who can help, if it’s just about the money, we’ll get him the help. But if the move that is going to help us today makes us worse tomorrow, we are not interested. The job is to give us the best chance to win forever. No one gives away quality assets without taking something back.”

• “I’d like our team and our brand to mean something. Someone who says they are a fan or a part of our organization feels pride in it. Everyone says ‘Win the Stanley Cup or multiple Cups,’ and we want that, too, but you have to consistently do things the right way. If you are a fan of [another] team, when you are playing the Hurricanes, you’re probably going to be beaten or know it will be hard to win. If you go to the World Championships, there’s pride in being a member of the Carolina Hurricanes instead of another brand.  Now, if you’re a football player, it’s the Patriots. That’s the bar: Everything we do is seen as best in class.”

The proof is in the pudding of course, but I couldn't be any more positive about our new ownership. 

Copying this from the In Season thread as I think it applies just as much or more here.

As far as player moves, I think the first bullet point comes into play.  I'd bet that Dundon is counting on RF and BP to make those calls at this point, and we know that RF moves very cautiously.  I could see Dundon prodding him a bit, but not going full on Jerry Jones. 

Two other things that jumped out at me at the original presser announcing completion of the sale:

• The one person who looked downright glum from the start was Waddell.  I wonder how long he'll be around? 
  • When asked about advice he'd give Dundon, the one thing PK brought up was about the need to maximize season ticket holders. Given Waddell and PKs move a while back to cut back on reduced single game ticket prices (presumably to avoid ****ing off season ticket holders), vs Dundon's move to do just that in order to immediately boost attendance, I'm guessing that it was something Dundon and PK had previously talked about and disagreed on.  But, clearly, Dundon in Charge.   
Edited by LakeLivin

I am betting and hoping that there is also a surprise in store for the team when they come (came?) back from vacation.  Something fast and simple like maybe a few new pieces of exercise equipment.

You can't say TD isn't trying

CANES PASS

The Canes Pass gives you access to all home games in the month of February for only $97 (excluding Feb. 23 vs. Pittsburgh). It allows you to attend as many of the nine home games between Feb. 1-18 as you would like and/or are able to attend.

Good topic, I just posted something in the GDT to this effect.

While it's true that Dundon is new and will let his hockey people sort this out, if he is learning our fan history, he will begin to feel the extent of our frustration with the utter lack of any attempt at a substantial hockey trade....in recent memory. His self admitted lack of patience will rise up. He will not tell Francis, "go out and get Evander Kane" or anything like that, but he will tell him, "Try to find a move that helps us win now that doesn't kill the future. I want to see something. Nothing is not an answer."

Remkin: Don't fear a bad move. This fan will forgive a bad move much faster than a no move. I doubt I'm alone. Take a shot. The one thing we have is a deep bench if a trade doesn't quite work out. We also have a long history of we like our group not working out. Try something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Remkin: Don't fear a bad move. This fan will forgive a bad move much faster than a no move. I doubt I'm alone. Take a shot. The one thing we have is a deep bench if a trade doesn't quite work out. We also have a long history of we like our group not working out. Try something else.

How do you feel about Darling?

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

You can't say TD isn't trying

CANES PASS

I think this is a good offer to try and fill the arena. On top of the previous offer this is geared more towards upper deck seats. A combination of both programs should increase the attendance. This is a good offer but not for me. I don't sit in the 3rd level and I like to know where my seats are prior to purchase. A good program to attend a game cheap though. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

. The one thing we have is a deep bench if a trade doesn't quite work out. We also have a long history of we like our group not working out. Try something else.

We will to agree to disagree on this one. I posted on another thread that we haven't even tried our depth in the AHL which signals to me that we are not deep.It signals that they are not ready for the promotion as of yet and may be a year or two away or maybe not at all. If we had depth at goalie it would of happened already. If we had scoring depth it would of happened by now.

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Wait a second.  Is this 97 bucks for ALL homes games in Feb?  Except for the 23rd?

Just click on the link. It's self explanatory. 

21 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

We will to agree to disagree on this one. I posted on another thread that we haven't even tried our depth in the AHL which signals to me that we are not deep.It signals that they are not ready for the promotion as of yet and may be a year or two away or maybe not at all. If we had depth at goalie it would of happened already. If we had scoring depth it would of happened by now.

I'm fine with disagreeing, but I do think it depends on how deep you look.

We aren't necessarily deep for this year, but that's not what I was referring to. I was saying that if Francis whiffs on a deal and gives up a guy or prospect or pick and the guy coming in doesn't get it done, then there is future depth to smooth out losing a pick or prospect or player, in the pipeline. Necas, Kuok, Bean, Foegele, Zykov, McKeown, not to mention several others. Zykov should get a shot now IMO. Foegele is pretty amazing given that he is a rookie.

But I get your point too.

The other thing is that bringing guys up without injuries is not so easy as there are only so many slots. We can't really bring Foegele, Saarela, Walmark, Zykov and McKeown all up at once without trading guys first.

I'm a part STH, and I have no problem with these promotions.  It would be nice to block people from certain zip codes, however.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm fine with disagreeing, but I do think it depends on how deep you look.

We aren't necessarily deep for this year, but that's not what I was referring to. I was saying that if Francis whiffs on a deal and gives up a guy or prospect or pick and the guy coming in doesn't get it done, then there is future depth to smooth out losing a pick or prospect or player, in the pipeline. Necas, Kuok, Bean, Foegele, Zykov, McKeown, not to mention several others. Zykov should get a shot now IMO. Foegele is pretty amazing given that he is a rookie.

But I get your point too.

The other thing is that bringing guys up without injuries is not so easy as there are only so many slots. We can't really bring Foegele, Saarela, Walmark, Zykov and McKeown all up at once without trading guys first.

I guess it is what we determine to be depth. I don't consider the unproven AHl'ers to be true depth. Yes they have potential and are putting up good numbers in the AHL The pipeline looks pretty good but until we see them in the NHL we don't know our real depth.I realize we can't bring up all of the potential's all at the same time. IMO we should of seen Zykov or Foegele by now. PDG has 1 goal and 7 assists in his last 55 games. If we have depth now he wouldn't still be on the roster. From what I have seen Wallmark may be an NHL player but I wouldn't consider him to be a true top 6 or type 9 player going forward. We have to raise the bar if we want to be a continual contender. My main issue is that RF looks at our pipeline as gold bars although they are unproven. It's time to let some of them go for a proven player that can help the team now.If the pipeline turns into super stars somewhere else that;s ok,at least we tried and the depth player we brought in may of given us some immediate value.. 

8 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I'm a part STH, and I have no problem with these promotions.  It would be nice to block people from certain zip codes, however.

I think both programs TD has initiated are great. He wants more bodies in the seats and is trying to increase the fan experience. I'm very very curious to see what he does next year regarding STH pricing.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I guess it is what we determine to be depth. I don't consider the unproven AHl'ers to be true depth. Yes they have potential and are putting up good numbers in the AHL The pipeline looks pretty good but until we see them in the NHL we don't know our real depth.I realize we can't bring up all of the potential's all at the same time. IMO we should of seen Zykov or Foegele by now. PDG has 1 goal and 7 assists in his last 55 games. If we have depth now he wouldn't still be on the roster. From what I have seen Wallmark may be an NHL player but I wouldn't consider him to be a true top 6 or type 9 player going forward. We have to raise the bar if we want to be a continual contender. My main issue is that RF looks at our pipeline as gold bars although they are unproven. It's time to let some of them go for a proven player that can help the team now.If the pipeline turns into super stars somewhere else that;s ok,at least we tried and the depth player we brought in may of given us some immediate value.. 

I don't think we're really that far apart on this. I do think Francis should be willing to package some prospects into a deal. The thing is that the other GM doesn't tend to value our prospects very much. Probably Necas is the only one that has popped his head up above the herd. So the problem with the others is that they could still become really good players, but their trade value won't reflect that.

Gauthier for instance. He has 8 goals in 35 games. Not really impressive. BUT the AHL is a much higher jump than most prospects think. And as he has started to figure it out more most of those goals have been in the back half of the season. Also he got very little ice time in the first half. The guy still put up major junior numbers including the WJC series. Just like Fleury flat out stunk in the first half of the AHL season, but then grew his game and now look at him (and he is still an NHL rookie). But no one is going to give us much for Gauthier right now.  Roy is nearly identical.

That's a big part of the problem. The prospects are still worth more to us. Now if they've seen that a guy is not as good as his numbers, maybe they could throw him in, but for the most part, only the Necas' of the prospect world have much value. In a way I think that's similar to what you're saying maybe.

I don't know.

I think we have a very deep pool. Necas looks to have elite potential. Kuokanen looked ready for the NHL at points as a 19 year old. Bean is still a good prospect though needs AHL time. I have not given up on Gauthier to be a potentially elite power forward. And Foegele? If I had to pick one forward currently in Charlotte who has the best shot at an NHL career, I go with Warren Foegele.

rem and slap, I think I have a little different take on this issue than you two, so I'll chime in. We fans focused on the Canes are somewhat "Canescentric" in our outlook at our AHL team, at least I know I am. It occurs to me that the general atmosphere surrounding the Checkers players is, or appears to be, very smooth and conducive to maximize their game, while here, to say the least, things are in turmoil? So 1st off, do we want to take a YOUNG, IMPRESSIONABLE player out of a situation and plug them into an atmosphere where their attributes are stymied and could even regress, on the somewhat unpredictable chance that their being here could help the team?

Also, it seems to me that the relationship between our AHL team and us is "symbiotic" and I would guess that the average Charlotte fan would be pretty resentful of the Hurricanes if we, in our quest to improve our team, at all costs, totally emasculating any chance their city could go into post season play by calling up all of their best? Now, to be fair, I've seen commenters on these blogs state that these players in truth belong to the Hurricanes, and Charlottonians should just get over it, but I would guess that RF must be a little more diplomatic than us with respect to being iron fisted?    

I'm having a little trouble following. I understand the conversation but what does it have to do with Dundon?

• Like 1