The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Dundon In Charge

Dundon as owner is over everything. Thus everything is under Dundon and must be approved by him in all aspects of everything. Thus anything and everything Canes could go here.

I'm kidding. Did sort of wonder off the path a bit.

In seriousness though it stemmed from the idea of Dundon allowing or even calling for a move on the ice, which could involve our prospects, and it kind of went from there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Dundon as owner is over everything. Thus everything is under Dundon and must be approved by him in all aspects of everything. Thus anything and everything Canes could go here.

I'm kidding. Did sort of wonder off the path a bit.

In seriousness though it stemmed from the idea of Dundon allowing or even calling for a move on the ice, which could involve our prospects, and it kind of went from there.

When did he make this call for a on ice move?

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

When did he make this call for a on ice move?

The original post asked the question of when he might call for a move. I mentioned the "idea" of him allowing a move as the rationale (if a bit tortured) for discussing the team's depth. He has not, to my knowledge actually called for an on ice move. At least not publicly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I don't think we're really that far apart on this. I do think Francis should be willing to package some prospects into a deal. The thing is that the other GM doesn't tend to value our prospects very much. Probably Necas is the only one that has popped his head up above the herd. So the problem with the others is that they could still become really good players, but their trade value won't reflect that.

Gauthier for instance. He has 8 goals in 35 games. Not really impressive. BUT the AHL is a much higher jump than most prospects think. And as he has started to figure it out more most of those goals have been in the back half of the season. Also he got very little ice time in the first half. The guy still put up major junior numbers including the WJC series. Just like Fleury flat out stunk in the first half of the AHL season, but then grew his game and now look at him (and he is still an NHL rookie). But no one is going to give us much for Gauthier right now.  Roy is nearly identical.

That's a big part of the problem. The prospects are still worth more to us. Now if they've seen that a guy is not as good as his numbers, maybe they could throw him in, but for the most part, only the Necas' of the prospect world have much value. In a way I think that's similar to what you're saying maybe.

I don't know.

I think we have a very deep pool. Necas looks to have elite potential. Kuokanen looked ready for the NHL at points as a 19 year old. Bean is still a good prospect though needs AHL time. I have not given up on Gauthier to be a potentially elite power forward. And Foegele? If I had to pick one forward currently in Charlotte who has the best shot at an NHL career, I go with Warren Foegele.

No we are not that far off and I was probably looking at the word "depth"  too literally. I often see posts (not you specifically) that talk about our tremendous depth. When I hear "depth" I immediately think of bench depth. Who can move up due to injury and afford the team to keep moving without much difference in production. This is where I don't think we have much depth. Yes we have depth in the farm regarding potential but they are years away from making the bench.  The biggest point I was trying to make was currently we do not have  big bench strength. Your comment "The one thing we have is a deep bench if a trade doesn't quite work out." This is where I differ.  Anyway I'm done discussing depth.

9 hours ago, remkin said:

A bit nauseous at the moment. But no worse than Lack.

I feel worse than Lack because we are committed to 3 more years and $12 million. Now what do you do. If the season is lost, play him and without the pressure of being expected to carry the team to the playoffs, maybe he finds himself. If not, Plan B is going to hurt Dundon’s pocketbook.

Listening to NHL on XM today and Boomer was going on about the brilliance of the Atlanta Falcon's owner slashing concession prices. Coke $2, Hot Dogs $2, beer $5. etc. They did a study and concession sales went up 15% and people came to the game a hour earlier and hung around eating and drinking. 

This would be a brilliant move. Already given lots of food/beverage credit, but just slash the prices. 

I can afford a $5 bottle of Coke, or a $9 beer, but paying it grinds my gears every time.

• Like 1

I understand the tactics by the Falcons.

Charge everyone an asinine amount to get in and when they get in, say thanks by charging them well below league average on concessions.  It gets people to spend more inside the stadium.  Once the aura of the new stadium wears off and the Falcons continue to be the Falcons, then ticket prices will have to go down.  I believe we'd see their concessions slowly rise as the ticket prices go down.  

I had buddies who went to the Falcons vs Cowboys game.  $230 a person to sit in the nose bleeds.  

To bring this back to the Hurricanes, I doubt we'll see a slide in concession prices.  They cut ticket prices in order to get people in the door.  They need to make that money back with concession sales.  

20 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Charge everyone an asinine amount to get in and when they get in, say thanks by charging them well below league average on concessions.  It gets people to spend more inside the stadium.  Once the aura of the new stadium wears off and the Falcons continue to be the Falcons, then ticket prices will have to go down.  I believe we'd see their concessions slowly rise as the ticket prices go down.  

I had buddies who went to the Falcons vs Cowboys game.  $230 a person to sit in the nose bleeds.  

To bring this back to the Hurricanes, I doubt we'll see a slide in concession prices.  They cut ticket prices in order to get people in the door.  They need to make that money back with concession sales.  

The $2.50 hot dogs are pretty tasty.  We never eat at the arena, but did last Sunday because of the price cut.

But I guess you are talking about a permanent price cut.

31 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The $2.50 hot dogs are pretty tasty.  We never eat at the arena, but did last Sunday because of the price cut.

But I guess you are talking about a permanent price cut.

Yes I was referring to a permanent cut.  I'd bet we'll see temporary cuts here and there to see how they can generate the most revenue for them and fan value for us.  

I know I force my kids to eat until they are full before any game we attend so that we dont spend a bunch of money at concessions.  I usually will spring for drinks and a large popcorn to tie them over.  If I am feeling spunky I might get some ice cream too.  Ill get the wife and I a beer or two.  I try to spend under 40 bucks at concessions.  Which is almost impossible but, I tell myself that is the plan.  

36 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The problem with concessions is twofold. Part one is the deals teams strike with the concessionaires, and part two is management's tendency to look at concessions as a potential profit center, and to set food prices to at least break even when the arena is half empty, and to make a little when it's more full.

Concessionaires price their services to ensure they are cheaper than if the team/venue tried to manage concessions itself, but profitable enough (to the concessionaire) to make the contract worthwhile. By making a straight-line connection between the cost of the concession services and profits on concessions sold, management fails to value the fact that the concessionaires are saving them a ton of money and headaches. 

But if you're (1) making enough on tickets, or (2) have an owner with the business sense to realize that low food prices greatly enhance the fan experience, there's no need to look at concessions in a vacuum. Instead, you look at the whole picture.

I'm pretty confident TD has the marketing chops to recognize this, and will turn the concession operation into a loss leader once the arena begins filling up at regular prices. Right now he's doing the opposite, taking a hit on tickets to get butts in the seats, because his priority is getting people hooked on the experience. My guess is that significant changes to the fan experience will be in place for the post-ASG homestand; after all, if you're going to slash ticket prices for the stretch drive, you want the fans you've brought in to see what they can expect going forward - or at least a very clear indication of it. 

Once the stadium begins to fill up again, you reward fans with fair food prices, and gladly take the hit in exchange for the headaches the concessionaires are saving you.

1 hour ago, caniac-1-1 said:

Confirmed.

atl-falcons.JPG

Yeah the concessions are cheap to fill the stomach and settle the nausea of the tkt prices. I'd eat a hell of a lot more at higher prices if the tkt prices were cut.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Right now he's doing the opposite, taking a hit on tickets to get butts in the seats, because his priority is getting people hooked on the experience. My guess is that significant changes to the fan experience will be in place for the post-ASG homestand; after all, if you're going to slash ticket prices for the stretch drive, you want the fans you've brought in to see what they can expect going forward - or at least a very clear indication of it. 

Once the stadium begins to fill up again, you reward fans with fair food prices, and gladly take the hit in exchange for the headaches the concessionaires are saving you.

My point is that ridiculous concessions prices IS the experience. You get someone in, enticed by the ticket price, that's the time to at least not turn them off with $5 Cokes. Otherwise the experience is, "that was pretty fun, but dang, I spent $80 on beer and hot dogs for the kids".

The team can eat it, so to speak, for the concessionaires if need be.

I'd say go full on this year. Drop prices and concessions. Then bump ticket prices when the demand increases.

But really, I'm just spit ballin' here.

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We all are :)

The x-factor is how much Dundon is willing to eat. And I'm not talkin' BBQ.

True. But it is interesting that Falcons concessions sales went up. That's total sales. At the normalized prices food costs are probably around 20-25%, so there is still a net loss of profit, but not that much really.

Also, I have a conflict of interest. I want cheap food and beer.

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

True. But it is interesting that Falcons concessions sales went up. That's total sales. At the normalized prices food costs are probably around 20-25%, so there is still a net loss of profit, but not that much really.

Also, I have a conflict of interest. I want cheap food and beer.

A full stadium combined with low prices will do that for you. I'd love to see something really innovative, like food pricing tied to tickets sold. 50 percent full, 20 percent off; 75 percent full, 40 percent off. Sellout, 50 percent off, and everybody gets a free dog and drink.

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

A full stadium combined with low prices will do that for you. I'd love to see something really innovative, like food pricing tied to tickets sold. 50 percent full, 20 percent off; 75 percent full, 40 percent off. Sellout, 50 percent off, and everybody gets a free dog and drink.

It was more than just more people though, each person also ate and drank more. People showed up on average an hour earlier. Instead of getting food at a restaurant before the game, they ate at the stadium, and kept it up during the game. So that became part of the experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manwolf said:

Does it seem to anyone that the promotions introduced by TD are the exact opposite of the remedy Waddell has implemented since his arrival?

Uh, yeah.  So one has to wonder what Mr. W.'s future holds...

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Uh, yeah.  So one has to wonder what Mr. W.'s future holds...

Yep. I've said since day one that Mr.W will be out. Not exactly worried about the fan's experience. I noticed during the presser when the ownership change was made official that Mr. W looked like he was a kid by himself on the opposite end end of the play ground sitting on the teeter totter waiting for a partner.

Edited by slapshot02

11 hours ago, Manwolf said:

Does it seem to anyone that the promotions introduced by TD are the exact opposite of the remedy Waddell has implemented since his arrival?

Yes and no. The family promo tried to combine discounted seats with a food and bev incentive. The problem for Waddell was too little cash to support anything like the price slashes already done under TD. The question is whether TD thinks Waddell will bring him ideas that he can't come up with himself, and if TD is as hands-on as he is rumored to be, I think Waddell's next stop might be Arizona.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manwolf said:

Waddell’s approach the last 3 seasons was fewer promotions encourage more season tickets. I thought it was foolhardy given the number of years without playoffs and the glacial pace of improvement by the team. Waddell was answering to PK. At the risk of angering STHs, Dundon is trying whatever might get butts in the building. On the heels of $40 lower bowl tix, this $97 deal is probably ticking off the STHs, so expect Dundon to discount next year’s season ticket prices for this year STHs. Then everyone will be happy and a lot of people will see what it’s like to attend a hockey game in a great atmosphere, which hopefully grows the fan base. Like many, I don’t see Waddell returning. He was brought in to solve a revenue problem, and Dundon, right from the start has changed everything Waddell was doing. TD is a self-made billionaire who at a young age has been wildly successful at everything he has done. He’s going to drive the train rebuilding the fan base.

• Like 1