The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Dundon In Charge

I have to say that who does not agree with bobble heads? That does seem like a low hanging fruit. I'm guessing they are having trouble finding a sponsor maybe? Or did someone actively make the decision?

I'm a grown man. I should have no interest in bobble heads. Yet I am currently looking at a bookshelf full of them. I don't take them down, I don't play pretend hockey with them, they don't even bobble because of that. Yet, if it is bobblehead night I am making sure I'm there early to get mine.

And kids? Come on.

They're just little dolls. Surely most people who get them don't really want them that much. They pass out 10,000 of them. So there must be a bunch of them leftover after the game. No. One game I wasn't there in time and had promised my daughter I'd give her mine. About 3 of us (two others in similar position I guess) scoured that entire place looking for left behind bobbleheads. I found one, and the other two found about 2-3. Out of 10K.

And they probably don't need a deep discount on bobble head nights. People are coming to that one.

But no. I don't get it.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Bring Back Bobbleheads

I don't think they ever left. We the fan base are the true bobble heads, except the heads bobble east to west.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

One game I wasn't there in time and had promised my daughter I'd give her mine. About 3 of us (two others in similar position I guess) scoured that entire place looking for left behind bobbleheads. I found one, and the other two found about 2-3. Out of 10K.

They might be mine. I always put them under my seat during the game and after multiple beverages always left them behind.

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

. At the risk of angering STHs, Dundon is trying whatever might get butts in the building. On the heels of $40 lower bowl tix, this $97 deal is probably ticking off the STHs, so expect Dundon to discount next year’s season ticket prices for this year STHs. 

I'm an upper bowl STH (partial), and I'm fine with all of this.  Yeah, if I was lower bowl, I might be a bit ticked.

But you know what?  The place is SO DEAD and SO INFESTED with foreign fans, I'm happy as can be to get friendly butts in the seats.  We're paying for a crappy experience when the place is dead.

STH is more then the seat discount, especially full STH who get a lot of off-game perks.  And if the playoffs EVER come around, STH is gold.  So, I'm happy he's backtracking and taking a chance.  Let's face it, despite all his (W's) talk about massive increase in STH sales due to his policies, I didn't see much evidence of it.  I'm in the third row upper deck, and the seats behind us in row D are not STH.  I mean, seriously, that's just pitiful.

18 minutes ago, remkin said:

I have to say that who does not agree with bobble heads?

Not many.  I'm looking at my collection right now, complete with bags over certain player's heads that ticked me off.  :)

Look at the sports shows.  Many of these shows hosted by middle age adults have massive collections of bobble heads as part of the scenery.

• Like 1

While I don't know squat about marketing...

I would have to think that, at worst, doing a bobblehead promotion couldn't be a losing proposition.  They can't cost more than $3 a piece to make and transport.  10,000 would cost $30k.  You have to promote it, but a sponsor fee should help offset that.  So that would mean you need 1000 extra tickets sold to break even (without taking parking and concessions into account).  That cannot be too hard to surpass.  It's also a nice little bonus to STMs that already have bought in, and a cheap incentive to re up in the summer.  

Low hanging fruit, indeed

edit: I know my math may not be accurate, but it seems logical to me

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

My guess is that PK looked at everything in terms of relative cost. Compuware was the sponsor of most bobblehead promotions (if memory serves) so once PK left the company, the difference between "no cost" and "some cost" was an easy decision, since doing it meant the cost would come out of his own (Hurricanes Holdings) pocket. If you stick to doing four per season and super_dave's numbers are right, that's $120k. Chump change for TD, but a lo-miles Lambo in retirement for PK.

At first blush outside sponsorship seems like an easy sell, but you still need a sponsor who thinks "his" crowd is the hockey crowd, which becomes much tougher in a non-traditional market. I have to think PK tried to sell it to others before taking it to the Compuware board--and that was at a time when market interest in hockey was near its peak. So maybe it's a tougher sell than we think?

Finally, you need players you'd want to feature, and whom you haven't featured already; what collector with a Skinner from a few years ago wants another one now? You also want guys that you are pretty sure will be around for a while. Have we really had four such guys (who have not already been "bobbled") until this season? (Although granted, the org could have still chosen to do it, just with fewer than four.)

Now that we've got (1) an owner with money he's willing to spend, (2) an owner with the business connections to get outside sponsors (TopGolf, and probably others), and (3) enough long-term, previously "unbobbled" roster players to feature, I'm hoping bobbleheads are one of the centerpiece promotions next season.    

Edited by top-shelf-1
typos, clarity

28 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Kinda surprised to hear of any love for those things, their so dang bad. 

I do have to laugh that there is hardly a likeness to the actual player but with that said I do have several. 

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Now that we've got (1) an owner with money he's willing to spend, (2) an owner with the business connections to get outside sponsors (TopGolf, and probably others), and (3) enough long-term, previously "unbobbled" roster players to feature, I'm hoping bobbleheads are one of the centerpiece promotions next season.    

If Jamie McBain can have one I question when there will be one for PDG. Here's a list of previous BH. Jussi Jokenen,Tim Gleason,Brandon Sutter,Cam Ward,Skinner,Both Staals,Joni Pitkanen, Chad Larose,Tuumo Ruutu,Justin Faulk,Ron Francis,Jeff O'Neil,Irbe,Eric Cole,Scott Walker,Jamie McBain,HWSNBN,Ray Whitney,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, winger52 said:

But how do they compare to the rest of the NFL ?

The 2017 Atlanta Falcons ticket pricing is very unusual, in that they do not sell any single game tickets.    

https://tickets.atlantafalcons.com/single-game/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/nfl-falcons-tickets-new-stadium-mercedes-benz-stadium-prices

I found some numbers for a few teams going into 2017 (which would have used 2016 prices, when Atlanta had an $80 average)

Philadelphia Eagles: $98.69
Dallas Cowboys: $110.20

New York Jets: $110.54
Baltimore Ravens: $112.11

Denver Broncos: $114
San Francisco 49ers: $117

Washington Redskins: $119.52
New York Giants: $123.40
New England Patriots: $130.73
Chicago Bears: $131.90

The organ-eye-ZAY-shun is being a little lax about removing/updating the Hurricanes Holdings page. It still identifies PK as majority owner. It also lists others with shares, but when I clicked on Jim Goodmon's name in that list, I got "page not found on this server," though you can still find his name/bio in the full-page list of others by scrolling.

All of which leads me to wonder whether the shares that gave Dundon a greater majority share of the org than was rumored before the sale were Goodmon's, and he pulled out when it became clear that his buddy Greenberg wasn't going to take over.

Which in turn leads me to wonder how much longer the Canes radio home will be The Fan, since Goodmon's company owns it. Capitol Broadcasting is definitely making no money on those games; nearly all the breaks feature PSAs, or ads for the state lottery and non-profits.

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

May the fleas of one thousand camels infest your armpits

I stand by this rare disagreement, their terrible haha

I'm looking at Larose and ya know what he looks good but several of these just have 0 likeness. Maybe Dundon would fix that but if they keep the same ole production people....bleck...

Edited by legend-1

33 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The organ-eye-ZAY-shun is being a little lax about removing/updating the Hurricanes Holdings page. It still identifies PK as majority owner. It also lists others with shares, but when I clicked on Jim Goodmon's name in that list, I got "page not found on this server," though you can still find his name/bio in the full-page list of others by scrolling.

All of which leads me to wonder whether the shares that gave Dundon a greater majority share of the org than was rumored before the sale were Goodmon's, and he pulled out when it became clear that his buddy Greenberg wasn't going to take over.

Which in turn leads me to wonder how much longer the Canes radio home will be The Fan, since Goodmon's company owns it. Capitol Broadcasting is definitely making no money on those games; nearly all the breaks feature PSAs, or ads for the state lottery and non-profits.

TS, your first line gives me the creeps.  Reminds me of a long lost blocked member from a few years ago.  But I digress...

Jimmy Goodmon (seriously, not a nickname) is now at the helm of CBC, and he apparently takes no prisoners judging by his dealings with AT&T Uverse.   Dad, like PK, is finding his boat on lake sunset.  It WILL be interesting to see where the radio rights go in the future.  Jimmy and Tom are of similar age, and both are at the wheels of power.  Should be interesting to see where that relationship goes, if anywhere.

Lost in all this discussion is that TD is trying radically different ideas to regenerate local interest in the team. He has shown imo his commitment to this market already. Maybe QC and other markets in Canada will SHUT UP about relocation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Jimmy Goodmon (seriously, not a nickname) is now at the helm of CBC, and he apparently takes no prisoners judging by his dealings with AT&T Uverse.   Dad, like PK, is finding his boat on lake sunset.  It WILL be interesting to see where the radio rights go in the future.  Jimmy and Tom are of similar age, and both are at the wheels of power.  Should be interesting to see where that relationship goes, if anywhere.

Did not know that.  And hadn't really thought about the radio side.  You two are on it. Chip and Luke as well, right?

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Did not know that.  And hadn't really thought about the radio side.  You two are on it. Chip and Luke as well, right?

They shouldn't be affected. The N&O is a McClatchy paper with no connection to Capitol Broadcasting. Nor should Chuck K., whose deal is with the Canes, although I expect (hope) TD will hire a color announcer for the radio team and tell Chuck to focus on PBP. I could also imagine TD abandoning terrestrial radio completely and I-casting games, unless there's a League requirement that franchisees have radio deals. But the way everybody's getting their radio online these days, it would sure make sense: No massive infrastructure needed (tower, FCC hassles, etc.); no contract with a third party (so nothing offsetting the ad revenue)--and best of all for those who know hockey, no freakin' Adam Gold.

13 hours ago, wxray1 said:

TS, your first line gives me the creeps.  Reminds me of a long lost blocked member from a few years ago.  But I digress...

Sorry about the first line Xray. It's a Canadian thing, not a G 'N R thing (and I'm not talking Guns and Roses).

Did not know it was Goodman senior either, but it makes sense (he and PK being of similar age).  

14 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I'm looking at Larose and ya know what he looks good but several of these just have 0 likeness. Maybe Dundon would fix that but if they keep the same ole production people....bleck...

Well, the HWSNBN one stands around useless all the time.  How much more lifelike could it be?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Did not know it was Goodman senior either, but it makes sense (he and PK being of similar age).  

I don't intentionally follow media.  However, when AT&T Uverse and WRAL had a contract spat last fall, I was caught in the middle of it as a subscriber.  It was not pleasant.  So, although I don't follow much news, I had to find out what was going on.  Turns out Jimmy Goodmon took over CBC around Sept. 1, and one of the first things he did was play hardball with AT&T.  I think the blackout lasted nearly 8 weeks, which is pretty darn long for that kind of thing.

Then, there were a string of announced high-profile retirements from WRAL TV, in rapid succession, at the same time.  WOW!  What is going on!?

I don't know, I have no inside knowledge, but clearly, there is a new sheriff in town.  So, yeah, I expect to see changes the radio relationship since that is a CBC holding.