The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Dundon In Charge

Sounds like Dundon is just getting started

Here are some of the changes the Hurricanes new owner would like to see at PNC Arena

For Dundon and the Hurricanes, there were items of importance on the agenda, the most pressing being installing a new center-hung scoreboard at PNC Arena for the 2018-19 season.

• Like 1

When I get my chance, I'm telling Dundon he needs to fix the awful placement of the in-game stats on the ribbon.  Way too small to see from the lower level goal zones, and a neck cranker to look at the ones in the goal zone where you are sitting.

I'd like to see something better in the TV contract.  I'm a cord cutter, and in Wilmington, Sling carries Fox Sports Carolinas but not Fox Sports Southeast.  Found a stream for the missing stuff, but prefer watching on a bigger screen than a laptop.  Of course, if Directv Now would take a page from Directv, I wouldn't have an issue.

23 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

I'd like to see something better in the TV contract.  I'm a cord cutter, and in Wilmington, Sling carries Fox Sports Carolinas but not Fox Sports Southeast.  Found a stream for the missing stuff, but prefer watching on a bigger screen than a laptop.  Of course, if Directv Now would take a page from Directv, I wouldn't have an issue.

Not sure how I get fox sports go.  Thought ir came with sling tv.  Could be wrong.

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

When I get my chance, I'm telling Dundon he needs to fix the awful placement of the in-game stats on the ribbon.  Way too small to see from the lower level goal zones, and a neck cranker to look at the ones in the goal zone where you are sitting.

Agreed. You should be able to just glance up and catch the stats. I often struggle when I look to see where the SOG stats are when the game is in action. Perhaps his new scoreboard will fix it all. 

Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon made his first formal appearance Thursday before the Centennial Authority, the appointed body that oversees PNC Arena.

Dundon’s visit was well-received. As authority chairman Tom McCormick said, “Tom doesn’t know this, but he has now set the all-time record for appearances by a Hurricanes owner at an authority meeting.”

For Dundon and the Hurricanes, there were items of importance on the agenda, the most pressing being installing a new center-hung scoreboard at PNC Arena for the 2018-19 season.

Dundon wants a scoreboard that extends blue line to blue line, one that could cost about $7 million. The authority had a scoreboard in the projected budget for 2019-20 but agreed to consider fast-tracking and having it in place next season for Hurricanes games and N.C. State basketball games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Not sure how I get fox sports go.  Thought ir came with sling tv.  Could be wrong.

Yes, foxsportsgo requires that you subscribe to a service that gives you access to the team's contractee. A subscription to Sling satisfies that requirement.

12 hours ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Found a stream for the missing stuff, but prefer watching on a bigger screen than a laptop.

There is "mirroring software" available that lets you cast what's on your computer to your TV for big screen viewing. Which software you use depends partly on your preference and partly on your hardware. I use Roku, and an an app called "Mirror for Roku."  

46 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes, foxsportsgo requires that you subscribe to a service that gives you access to the team's contractee. A subscription to Sling satisfies that requirement.

There is "mirroring software" available that lets you cast what's on your computer to your TV for big screen viewing. Which software you use depends partly on your preference and partly on your hardware. I use Roku, and an an app called "Mirror for Roku."  

Thanks.  I do know about mirroring and such.  The laptop has an HDMI port on it, so I could have just plugged it in HDMI to HDMI and had the big TV experience.  Just lazy, and wanted to have the laptop available for other things should the game have been a dud.  All's good tonight as they are back on FSC.

10 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Thanks.  I do know about mirroring and such.  The laptop has an HDMI port on it, so I could have just plugged it in HDMI to HDMI and had the big TV experience.  Just lazy, and wanted to have the laptop available for other things should the game have been a dud.  All's good tonight as they are back on FSC.

It makes no sense to me that the games on Southeast are not on Sling. They have all those alternate channels, and it's the same contractee. I've called calling Sling about it and they say their info is that the game is blacked out in this area. How is that even possible--it's Fox Sports SOUTHEAST, and we are trying to get the game of the team within its service area!!!

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It makes no sense to me that the games on Southeast are not on Sling. They have all those alternate channels, and it's the same contractee. I've called calling Sling about it and they say their info is that the game is blacked out in this area. How is that even possible--it's Fox Sports SOUTHEAST, and we are trying to get the game of the team within its service area!!!

Makes no sense to me either.  When I was looking at streaming, FS SE is Atlanta, FS South is something else, FS Carolinas is, well FS Carolinas.  I can stream FSC on Sling  in Wilmington, but am blacked out when I'm in the North Carolina mountains at my other house there. 

Ala Carte TV needs to be more ala carte than it is now.  I'd subscribe to straight FSC if I could.

But, I'm now off topic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

But, I'm now off topic.

I don't think so. I think TD would be very interested to know that not all Canes fans who live in the Carolinas can easily get all Canes home games on their TVs, simply because one provider of streaming services doesn't understand the blackout constraints which all other distributors of the broadcasts do. I think I'll write a note to Mike Smith.

33 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't think so. I think TD would be very interested to know that not all Canes fans who live in the Carolinas can easily get all Canes home games on their TVs, simply because one provider of streaming services doesn't understand the blackout constraints which all other distributors of the broadcasts do. I think I'll write a note to Mike Smith.

Not just one, I dumped Time Warner because of issues with the overflow games. Luckily I have only had one or two bad games with DirectTV and those were away games corrected during the first period. Spectrum may have since fixed the issue byt I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

I Hope he reads these boards

He doesn’t...or else Faulk would’ve been ridden out of town by now 

Upcoming promotions... "March to a Draft Pick"  Season ticket holders who were unhappy about recent ticket discounts will be given 10 minutes on the ice as the second or third line center or defensive pairing in their choice of March home games.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 12:11 AM, remkin said:

I hope he reads Luke DeCock.

I hope he reads this:

Dear Tom:  Your product sucks.  I'm not entertained, tired of the losses, and not getting my money's worth. 

Hey everybody. Longtime fan, first-time poster. 

I feel like Dundon has done a good job of trying to bring some energy to the franchise and its fans. I know it’s early, but the fact that I’m going to my first game in nearly nine years this weekend is due in part to his and the team’s efforts to improve (which might even lead to the playoffs if such a miracle could happen).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Hey everybody. Longtime fan, first-time poster. 

I feel like Dundon has done a good job of trying to bring some energy to the franchise and its fans. I know it’s early, but the fact that I’m going to my first game in nearly nine years this weekend is due in part to his and the team’s efforts to improve (which might even lead to the playoffs if such a miracle could happen).

Welcome aboard Bo Darville. Don't be a stranger.

One thing I have noticed is a good number of new posters. To all, good to have you and please keep posting. A lot of long timers on here love some fresh voices even if we can be a bit ornery at the moment. You are coming in at a very tumultuous time combining years of frustration with a cut line right in sight that we just can't seem to get to, and there is a lot of well deserved angst here. But buckle up your chin strap and dive in!

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Welcome aboard Bo Darville. Don't be a stranger.

One thing I have noticed is a good number of new posters. To all, good to have you and please keep posting. A lot of long timers on here love some fresh voices even if we can be a bit ornery at the moment. You are coming in at a very tumultuous time combining years of frustration with a cut line right in sight that we just can't seem to get to, and there is a lot of well deserved angst here. But buckle up your chin strap and dive in!

Many thanks. I'm more optimistic than most seem to be but I think the team/franchise are on the upswing with Dundon running the show. That can change of course, but I feel like he's brought some new energy. 

19 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Many thanks. I'm more optimistic than most seem to be but I think the team/franchise are on the upswing with Dundon running the show. That can change of course, but I feel like he's brought some new energy. 

Very true. If you've lurked here you'd also know that even our most perma-bears and Captain Negative's are passionate about this team and turn to the light when it looks better. Everyone on here really wants this team to succeed.

I will say that there is a lot of reasons to be long term optimistic about this team, especially with the new owner. Heck aside from all of the quick moves off the ice to generate fan base interest, there is the removal of the existential question of whether persisting fans might need to learn French to fully follow the team. 

But as you no doubt also know, this board full fans that are, in some ways a bit pathologically obsessive fans, has been through literally years of writing and reading the same things over and over with, to this point, the same result.

Some of us have been waiting for Francis to make a hockey trade for a long time, and his preternatural patience is starting to look like more of an inability to make a trade where he has to part with anything of any value.

If this team could just go on the kind of run that playoff teams go on, these boards would be awash in positivity. Until then, keep bringing it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Very true. If you've lurked here you'd also know that even our most perma-bears and Captain Negative's are passionate about this team and turn to the light when it looks better. Everyone on here really wants this team to succeed.

I will say that there is a lot of reasons to be long term optimistic about this team, especially with the new owner. Heck aside from all of the quick moves off the ice to generate fan base interest, there is the removal of the existential question of whether persisting fans might need to learn French to fully follow the team. 

But as you no doubt also know, this board full fans that are, in some ways a bit pathologically obsessive fans, has been through literally years of writing and reading the same things over and over with, to this point, the same result.

Some of us have been waiting for Francis to make a hockey trade for a long time.

If this team could just go on the kind of run that playoff teams go on, these boards would be awash in positivity. Until then, keep bringing it!

Here's a reason for everyone to feel better:

The last time I went to a Canes game was February of 2009. The Canes went to the conference finals that year.

The Canes have not been to the playoffs since.

I am going to a Canes game this weekend. You're all welcome.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Here's a reason for everyone to feel better:

The last time I went to a Canes game was February of 2009. The Canes went to the conference finals that year.

The Canes have not been to the playoffs since.

I am going to a Canes game this weekend. You're all welcome.

Looks like we might have an anti-AWACS! :P

(just kidding AWACS) :cheers:

• Like 2