The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Dundon In Charge

9 hours ago, caniac-1-1 said:

Sure, these are all just opinions, I get that.  

I'm not even really arguing with anything that's been said, except the notion that luck is important.  Even if it plays a "larger role" in the NHL than other sports, it's immaterial.  You can't control luck, you can't plan for luck, you can't use luck to your advantage.  You can only control the rest of the equation, so there's absolutely no reason to mention luck as a factor unless you're trying to give yourself an excuse for failure.

I  agree that luck isn't an excuse for the big picture of us losing.  I alluded to that when I mentioned that even if it played a role in pushing us down to last in  those two stats quoted, we still wouldn't be anywhere near where we should be even if you could take out that variation.  My take on where luck (variation) may be relevant in the context of TDs discussion is that it makes the moneypuck  strategy they're trying to develop that much harder to pin down and that he didn't want to make any big moves until they get a better feel for the metrics.  Imo, that would seem legit.

Edit: There are individual games where it's pretty clear that "luck" influenced the outcome. But l agree with your point about that being true for all teams, and that it evens out in the long term.

Edited by LakeLivin

17 hours ago, hag65 said:

There is a stat available that is essentially dispassionately tracking good scoring chances and the percentage of time that a team scores on their good scoring chances.  What is the ranking of the percentage of time the Canes score on their good scoring chances?   Dead last among all 31 teams.   Furthermore, the ranking of the percentage of time does our opponent score on good scoring chances against us?  Highest %, which puts us dead last in the league there as well.  Dead last both ways. 

I'll speculate that it is within 2-3 feet of the blue paint.  An area seldom visited by this team year after year.

If we want to factor luck in, I'd say that we've been extraordinarily lucky with injuries this year. We are just about the only team not to lose a major player for a long period. Here's another lucky thing. The last WC spot is currently historically easy. Lucky year for us to try to slip in. Still not enough.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

If we want to factor luck in, I'd say that we've been extraordinarily lucky with injuries this year. We are just about the only team not to lose a major player for a long period. Here's another lucky thing. The last WC spot is currently historically easy. Lucky year for us to try to slip in. Still not enough.

I agree, with the exception of Stemp. I saw him as perhaps more important than many on here.  I'd argue that not only did we lose him for half a season, but that he's not the same player now that he's back. 

Edited by LakeLivin

5 hours ago, remkin said:

How do you get your Charlotte talent ice time in the NHL without sending NHL guys down?    Through IR time.   In a way, this was one season I wanted a few injuries.  So depending on perspective, it would have been OK for some of these guys to have been hurt.