The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mvp-1

Your Christmas Tree

We are actually taking ours down this coming weekend which is sooner than we normally do, but there is a reason. On 1/5/08, we are bringing home our newest addition to our family.....we will once again have a family dog. So, we need to get the house "doggy ready."

I clicked before New Years. Ours isn't a real tree so we box ours up and put it into the attic for next years use. Those who have real trees around here can bring their trees to Fort Macon State Park and the rangers use them for dune stabilization. Which is in a way reclylcing the tree. :)

According to old folk lore/christian tradition the correct disposal date for Christmas trees is Jan 6th, which is 12th night

Our home has been decorated for Christmas since the week prior to Thanksgiving as our daughter was getting married on 12-1-07 and if I didn't decorate then, it wouldn't get decorated. All decorations are now put up minus the tree as I don't take it down until Old Christmas which is (from what I've been told, is 1-6).

The wedding was beautiful. Holly represented the Canes very well! Lots of shout outs were given to the Canes before, during and after the wedding. You would all be very proud!

Yep, somewhere around epiphany. Gotta keep it up until the wise men come around. Heck, I may just keep it up until we get a 3 game win streak. The tree could end up being VERY flammable by then.

hahaha, i still have my x-mas tree from last year sitting in my fire pit, if this dang drought would lift i wouldnt feel so bad burning it, i guess i'll have 2 to burn soon.

my husband got froggy and decided to take it down sunday, the 30th. (i usually would like it outta here the day after christmas, as i'm a scrooge :P ) we always have a "fresh cut" frasier fir (as fresh as we can get living in jacksonville, when they cut them 8 hours away in the mountains), and we put it up this year the week after thanksgiving. we are unscrewing the base, and notice a tiny praying mantis :blink: no biggie, he takes it outside. he's holding the tree up and i keep unscrewing. i see 2 more, so he stomps them, as the tree will fall at this point if he moves. i get the tree loose, and he lifts it, and takes it outside to throw it in the woods. i pull up the tree skirt and there are a MILLION BABY PRAYING MANTISES!!!! they are just in the immediate vicinity of the tree, and mostly in the folded blanket that was under the tree stand, so i kinda fold it up more, run outside, and shake it out in the yard, leaving it on the porch. i come back in and there are still at least 30 on the floor and i am done trying to save them. i vacuum the suckers up and send my husband out with the canister to dump it in the outside trash can. then i call my mother to make sure i don't need to call the exterminator and make sure if my dog eats one he won't die or anything :lol: she says "i hope you didn't kill them; they are good luck!" mother! they are bugs! they were in my HOUSE! i saved as many as i could, and i know they kill bugs, but geez! apparently my husband noticed some kind of eggsack in the tree when taking down the lights, so they must have hatched sunday morning, right before he took down the tree. good thing he got froggy! if we had waited, like we usually end up doing, they would have been EVERYWHERE!

so that's our christmas tree insect story for 2007! check your "fresh cut" trees for insect related egg sacks! and spray them with insecticide! :lol:

Since ours is an artificial tree, we store it 11 months a year in the room we rent at the local storage unit. Because our own holiday season was so crammed with events -- Friday and Saturday tastings at the shop, as well as Chamber of Commerce events -- we had no choice but to have it up before Thanksgiving.

Jan/GSBG