The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Dundon is going to bring back Whalers gear

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22267963/new-carolina-hurricanes-owner-tom-dundon-embracing-hartford-whalers-legacy

From the article:

"I think that's an unbelievably good look. I love it. I think we should have a store that sells that Whalers merchandise online. I think we should explore playing games in that jersey and selling that gear. It's part of the legacy,"

I'd love to see the Canes play some games in Whaler jerseys! 

• Like 1

Well this is interesting.  I'm not sure how I feel here.  I like the Jersey.  But that Jersey isn't our culture.   I would like to see others perspective.   To me, this is a sales strategy. 

23 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22267963/new-carolina-hurricanes-owner-tom-dundon-embracing-hartford-whalers-legacy

From the article:

"I think that's an unbelievably good look. I love it. I think we should have a store that sells that Whalers merchandise online. I think we should explore playing games in that jersey and selling that gear. It's part of the legacy,"

I'd love to see the Canes play some games in Whaler jerseys! 

Great idea! There is current litigation going on over naming rights and Logo but my money is on Dundon.

So it's not that the word mark lapsed, but that the registration lapsed. Federal registration isn't necessary to have trademark rights, but it puts everyone else on notice. Because the words "Hartford Whalers" are still being used on officially licensed merchandise the Hurricanes can still show use in commerce, and it's still being used to identify a brand. So the words are still being used as a trademark and have trademark rights. This would be true even without the WH registration.

Had the Canes not opposed this registration, they would have been at risk to lose their rights. If an owner of a trademark doesn't police the mark and protect it, it can cease functioning as a trademark and lose all rights. 

The defense seems to have a lot of registrations and pending registrations. They seem to be all over as far as branding goes. I would be surprised to see this go their way. I'm actually pretty surprised that the registration got this far at all. They were initially denied and one of the reasons was that a registration would lead people to believe that there was a false connection between registrant and the Hurricanes. In a response to this, the defense claimed that the mark hasn't been used for 20 years, which a simple Google search would prove was wrong.

Edited by slapshot02

If we got the outdoor game someday that'd be cool to wear it then if it's ever permitted.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Well this is interesting.  I'm not sure how I feel here.  I like the Jersey.  But that Jersey isn't our culture.   I would like to see others perspective.   To me, this is a sales strategy. 

I like it—and whatever this team can do to generate revenue is good.  The Whalers have a mystique—after all this time fans still seem to long for and love The Whale.  The NHL sells Whaler merchandise.  I was at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto a few years ago and bought a Ron Francis Whaler shirt at the HOF store.  Why the Canes have for years turned down ‘free money’ is strange.  I went to a Dallas Stars game awhile back and they had lots of North Stars merchandise in their team store (I eyed a Dino Ciccarelli jersey, but I resisted the purchase temptation!)

The only Whaler nod that I can recall at a Canes game was during the 2006 Stanley Cup run, they played the Brass Bonanza during the pre-game at 2 or 3 games. 

I'm fine with it as long as it's ultra rare and only the most special of events like maybe on the 50th anniversary of the existence of the franchise in 2022 or 2029 for 50 years in the NHL as well as previously stated outdoor game. Maybe you do the outdoor alumni game in Hartford jerseys with players who at least wore the Whale at some point so it's less awkward?

If they wanna do a regular season game for the sake of a regular season game? That'll get weird, at least to me. 

I admit I am a music geek but it was great just to hear "Brass Bonanza" at the game last night.

As far as having a game in Whalers gear goes, or having a game in Hartford, I think it would be cool.  Throwback jersey games happen in the NFL, and other than the fact that some look ridiculous they are great.

Merchandise, that's fine.

Players wearing?  Only for some rare event, such as and outdoor game.  It is part of the history of this franchise and I think it is fine to embrace that.  I'm not from the Northeast so I don't have the love some others do, but I'm also not a hater.

I enjoyed the little snippet of Brass Bonanza last night.

Edited by wxray1

I think a shoulder patch of the Whale logo on the existing sweaters is the hot ticket. I also like Legend's idea of throwback jerseys only in rare cases, one game per year max. This is the kind of thing that is easy to overdo. A patch would pay permanent homage to the team's history in a proportionally appropriate way.

I also think, whenever black comes back, those sweaters should be free of any Whale reference.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think a shoulder patch of the Whale logo on the existing sweaters is the hot ticket. I also like Legend's idea of throwback jerseys only in rare cases, one game per year max. This is the kind of thing that is easy to overdo. A patch would pay permanent homage to the team's history in a proportionally appropriate way.

I also think, whenever black comes back, those sweaters should be free of any Whale reference.

I like the idea too.  Maybe a throw back game against one of the original six teams or against the Dallas Stars.  Maybe have them do a throw back to the North Stars.  That was the Whalers' first NHL regular season game.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

You guys get that the league strictly controls the uniform thing...right?

Only those of us who can read.

"I just like cool stuff. If we don't, it will mean something went wrong [behind the scenes]," said Dundon, who said he's confident that the NHL would sign off on such an idea.  "We're in good shape with those guys."

So since Karmanos is closely associated with hockey in Detroit will we get a winged wheel jersey? Bill Peters too. Didn't Rod attend college in Michigan? Kinda tongue in cheek. I really think those jerseys would only be a money grab. Whalers are gone, no longer playing, fini, hasta la vista, and cya.

Bring back the black. BJM!

Edited by winger52

1 hour ago, caniac-1-1 said:

Only those of us who can read.

Thats nice and all that, but I don't have confidence in this league signing off on anything like that

I'm for wearing the Whalers jerseys twice a year.  Once for a theme night in Raleigh, and once in an away game at Boston where we can draw original fans from Hartford to come and cheer for the Canes in their barn. :P

• Like 3

I think the league really misses the boat on allowing uniform variations.  It's just more merchandise that they could sell.  Think about Lake's suggestion about the Whalers jerseys twice a year.  They could even do home and away jerseys that way.  Players could autograph those game used jerseys and auction them off for charity.  Everybody wins.

The same goes with the camo jerseys for military appreciation

• Like 2

Anyone know how often other teams have worn throwback unis recently?  I see them every so often, but that's purely random, no idea if I've missed a bunch.

That's how I'd view the Whalers uni, as a throwback for the franchise.

Edited by LakeLivin

10 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Anyone know how often other teams have worn throwback unis recently?  I see them every so often, but that's purely random, no idea if I've missed a bunch.

That's how I'd view the Whalers uni, as a throwback for the franchise.

The only times I recall are the outdoor games, which they are going to overplay their hand here (with too many outdoor games) and make them less special. 

Edited by super_dave_1

10 hours ago, Manwolf said:

+1, and the hurricane warning flags ASAP.

Given fan feedback when it was announced they were going away, l have to think (hope) that getting the the black sweaters back is a top priority for next year. email Mike Smith to push the question to the top of his tweetmail: webmaster@carolinahurricanes.com 

Edited by top-shelf-1

On 1/30/2018 at 10:03 PM, bluedevil58 said:

Not our "culture"?  Its our history.  Much better than the ugly throwback jerseys we see in some sports. IMO disclaimer