The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Dundon is going to bring back Whalers gear

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'll just say I never thought this would happen.  New owner, zingo!

...and, you gotta love "Brass Bonanza" being played in the final seconds tonight when the game was in hand!

• Like 1

ok, here goes.  I'm a grown man going Whale crazy!

I say new ownership is fixing a family issue.  He's bringing back the team's roots in a way that is similar to finding unknown relatives on some Ancestry site.  Canes fans know about the team's history, but really need their Whaler brothers, sisters and cousins to embrace and educate about their past experience(s) and our mutual heritage.  That includes any expression of pain and suffering having nothing to do with mutual fandom by people who are crazed about 1 team. 

IMO this is a great time for Whaler fans to get energized again (if they weren't) by joining a welcoming audience interested in them.  On these boards we have avid hockey fans from varied backgrounds and geography, but we all agree on one thing  - hockey and The Hurricanes.  Distant relatives are warmly welcomed and should fit right in.  Of course some already are here and have tied history together, thus far.

Caniacs also have earned their due for keeping the flame flickering.  They've celebrated a Cup, but suffered for years since then.  Time for this all to come together, even for those that may be cynical and feel Dundon is just focused on merchandise.

No, I don't work for the team.  I just saw first hand last night how interested people are in Whaler gear (at The Eye pre-game), and the playing of "Brass Bonanza" as the Canes secured a win of Montreal.  I'm just a Caniac gone Whale crazy!  This is also my longest post by far, as far as Hartford-to-Raleigh.

Edited by Manwolf
  • Like 2

I'd love to hear from how Hartford fans are receiving this because my guess is we're taking a salted knife and slashing open old wounds.

• Like 1

Somebody help me on this, please.  I was under the impression that the Brass Bonanza and all Whaler logos remained the property of Hartford and the Canes were not allowed to use them.  Now it seems that it's up to the discretion of the Hurricanes management.  What changed and when?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I'd love to hear from how Hartford fans are receiving this because my guess is we're taking a salted knife and slashing open old wounds.

I am an original Whalers fan who continued to follow the team after they relocated.  I still live in New England and attend games in Boston when I can.  I was there for the final game in Hartford as a 19-year-old kid.  I enjoyed the playoff runs in 2002, 2006 and 2009.  Of course, the Stanley Cup victory in 2006 was the sweetest, which finally gave me some closure on them leaving.  Last season, I signed up for the NHL Center Ice package and have not missed a game yet.  So, to answer your question legend-1, I'm excited to hear that TD wants to bring back the Whalers gear.  I've enjoyed the first 20 years of the Hurricanes but wouldn't mind a little Whaler feel to the jerseys.  I like the idea of the shoulder patch and the possibility of having a special home-and-away game with the Whalers uniform.  I think TD has some great ideas with more to come.  Oh, and by the way, hearing the Brass Bonanza last night gave me the chills.

Edited by MassCaniac
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, MassCaniac said:

I am an original Whalers fan who continued to follow the team after they relocated.  I still live in New England and attend games in Boston when I can.  I was there for the final game in Harford as a 19 year old kid.  I enjoyed the playoff runs in 2002, 2006 and 2009.  Of course, the Stanley Cup victory in 2006 was the sweetest, which finally gave me some closure on them leaving.  Last season, I signed up for the NHL Center Ice package and have not missed a game yet.  So, to answer your question legend-1, I'm excited to hear that TD wants to bring back the Whalers gear.  I've enjoyed the first 20 years of the Hurricanes, but wouldn't mind a little Whaler feel to the jerseys.  I like the idea of the shoulder patch and the possibility of having a special home and away game with the Whalers uniform.  I think TD has some great ideas with more to come.  Oh and by the way, hearing the Brass Bonanza last night gave me the chills.

I'm glad to hear this.  I know it goes both ways, I have friends from Hartford and some disavow the team.  I am glad that there are Whale fans that stayed with us, I always considered it our cup together.  I always had affection for the Whale back in the day due to their underdog status in general and was happy when they were the team that we got here.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Did Hartford endure this long of a playoff drought like we have?  I know they had some really bad teams but I am curious to know if they went 8 straight years of no playoffs.

They went 5 years a couple of times.  

For the Whale it was more the futility of the playoffs as they always had to face Boston or Montreal in the first round and got beat.  They won one playoff series in the NHL against Quebec.

You can hear the hate for Montreal and Boston in Chuck K's demeanor when he does those games, I presume due to all those playoff series losses.  He'll throw in a couple of references to "the old Adams division".

Brass Bonanza needs to be our version of Detroit playing the start of “Don’t Stop Believin” at the end of their games. 

My first live professional hockey game was a WHA (I think) game.  New England Whalers and Sharks (left coast) played at Madison Square Garden in NYC.  Left NJ for Wilmington 17 years before the Whale came to NC as the Hurricanes.  The hook for me was the tie in.  And bringing back the heritage is in my opinion a good move.

• Like 2

I was an OG Whale fan as a kid. Grew up in Hartford. Went to games at the mall. Have signed photo cards of Geoff Sanderson and Ron Francis and more. I was a big fan.

Per random happenstance (parents moving while I was in HS) I moved to Greensboro (1996) then Raleigh (1997). I've seen home games in all three cities. I embraced the Canes, and got to go to a majority of the games in the '06 run.

I've been a franchise fan all these years, but through all of the changes have missed the feel of the Whale. I'm happy to see Dundon embrace the past. I can see how some native Whale fans who didn't get the chance to follow the team like I did might feel poorly about this whole thing, but I think bringing back the nostalgia and history is awesome. 

I can't wait to go back to Raleigh and hear Brass Bonanza again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wormus said:

I was an OG Whale fan as a kid. Grew up in Hartford. Went to games at the mall. Have signed photo cards of Geoff Sanderson and Ron Francis and more. I was a big fan.

..... but through all of the changes have missed the feel of the Whale. I'm happy to see Dundon embrace the past. I can see how some native Whale fans who didn't get the chance to follow the team like I did might feel poorly about this whole thing, but I think bringing back the nostalgia and history is awesome. 

I can't wait to go back to Raleigh and hear Brass Bonanza again.

That's what I'm talkin about!  We're just fans, and go where taken, just like the players who were suddenly former Whalers and then put on a Hurricanes sweater.  Those players are beloved by ALL fans of the franchise. Thanks Wormus.