The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

FRANCHISE FIRED?!?!?!

13 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Now...as to BP.  I'm giving him the rest of the season to see how he handles this...if it's clear he's lost the locker room, then send him packing as well.  For the record: I think he's one hell of a good coach who would have massive success if he has the right players.  

If the players decide to quit on the season, there's not a damn thing the coach can do about it. What I want is the second part: The players who have bought in stay, BP stays, and the rest go sayonara over the summer. Given TD's prior comments about BP, it'll be interesting whether one of his conditions for the new GM is that he keep BP at least through the end of his current deal (which ends after next season). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bigfist said:

Peters may get that 5th year, but let's be honest...new owners always come in and praise the team already in place.  It means nothing.  I'll bet I could find some quotes from Dundon that praised Francis early on.

I agree with your statement.  I would like to add that TD seemed to go out of his way to find out about Peters.  He needed to see everyone else's opinion of him to see if he was worth keeping.  He made it abundantly clear he like Peters and so did everyone else.  Like you said, it could be posturing. 

13 hours ago, jled101 said:

Let the interviews begin. I have no idea who would be on the list. Don Maloney did a lot with very little (under extreme duress as well) in Arizona. John Ferguson Jr. is still well regarded. Feaster has probably aged out. Tim Murry was a little too intense for me. If Ken Holland is let got in DET (as rumored), then he could be our man. Anyone have ideas for Mr. Dundon?

Darryl Sutter.

And Darryl Sutter.

And there's Darryl Sutter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bigfist said:

I'll bet I could find some quotes from Dundon that praised Francis early on.

Please try and post any that you find. In everything I've seen and heard, he was scrupulously non-committal right from jump street.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Roddy is quietly shown the door over the summer.

13 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Kinda bittersweet, I wanted to see Ronnie succeed in the GM role but it wasn't working.

I'm sure there's already an office door with his name on it--in Pittsburgh.

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Please try and post any that you find. In everything I've seen and heard, he was scrupulously non-committal right from jump street.

From Jan. 11:

https://www.usabreakingnews.net/2018/01/in-first-hours-dundon-wasting-no-time-putting-his-stamp-on-the-hurricanes/

Dundon is "happy with the work done by GM Ron Francis and coach Bill Peters..."

From Jan. 12, Luke Decock:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/hockey/carolina-hurricanes/article194268649.html

Dundon is "100% confident in Francis and Peters..."

From Jan 12:

http://abc11.com/sports/new-hurricanes-owner-dundon-values-winning-more-than-money/2935110/

Dundon says "I'm not going to walk in and understand more hockey than Ron Francis.  That would be ridiculous."

There are more, but I'll stop there.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

As bummed as it would make me, I’ll take it if it means we get a wholly capable coaching staff here who brings us lots of playoff runs.  But keep him in the org...the guy’s got a great work ethic and I still think he could be a decent head coach one day 

Is Francis that building block type guy?  They guy that builds everything up but cant quite get over the hump, then a new guy comes in, reaps the benefits of the builder's hard work, and takes the team to a new found height.  i've seen that a few times in college football and basketball.  The new heights guy would not have success without the builder but the builder cant seem to take them to new heights.  

I think RF got too attached to the kids he brought in and didn't want to ship them off without 100% certainty they wouldn't go off and kick our *edit* down the road. But once your positive of what you got so is the other team and most of these prospects aren't going to be big time NHL players but if another team believes in them we could get a big time player for them.

The new GM should have 0 issue shipping off prospects to make us better today.

• Like 2

Dundon didn't make this move without a short list of candidates on his desk.  I expect things to progress rather quickly.  It may take until the season is over, but well before the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Here is another from yahoo sports on Jan. 12:

https://sports.yahoo.com/canes-owner-believes-team-win-182928219.html

Dundon:  "As I spoke to people from across the NHL, they all identified that core of young players, the head coach and the general manager as major assets."

I'll definitely stop now.

1 hour ago, Goalieman_nc said:

Well, the Knights started with nothing and look at them! Maybe Dundon is looking for a GM like McPhee to put a team together like that. My PO is that Dundon is willing to go out on a limb to get a highly aggressive, highly physical team next year. He has seen us being pushed around and owned on the ice and he seems like a guy that wants to go all the way his first year. It will be interesting to see what we end up with next season but I expect to see a lot of new faces next season.

Just 1 quick comment on this Goalieman, and I'm not picking on it as it obviously is true, but not sure this observation is applicable. I've pondered the situation as well as the improbability of it, and decided that what we are witnessing is the "perfect storm" so to speak, in that the team AS WELL AS COACH, have one common, but very powerful bonding aspect. For the most part, they were all rejects, and likely, like the majority of their NHL brethren, competent, proud egoistic hockey players who closely bonded thru their similar feelings? At any rate, just an aside.

Wanted to interject, the Francophile dominated NHL media appears to be going ballistic over one of their Golden Boys being taken down!! Don't misunderstand my rather crass phrasing, as I have admired Ron Francis for many, many years, but as I've stated on several occasions, his on ice hockey acumen has not translated to his managerial skills. Further, I find it poetically ironic that he appears to have excelled during his playing career, In Assists and if one thinks about it, I think the consensus is that his 2nd and later round picks have been masterful. It's the 1st rounders where he is lacking??? I think that if we and this owner are upsetting the staid Canadian crowd, then must be doing something right?

As far as GM candidates, one name I haven't read on his site, but mentioned by Brian LeBlanc on Canes Country is that of Julien BriseBois from Yzerman's group. That makes lots of sense as I believe Dundon has/is identifying with Yzerman. 

My final comment though is that I hope that Dundon does not travel down Terry Pegula's reckless path, as it seems he swept in with grandiose ideas, and look where that team is this many years later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigfist said:

From Jan. 11:

https://www.usabreakingnews.net/2018/01/in-first-hours-dundon-wasting-no-time-putting-his-stamp-on-the-hurricanes/

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/hockey/carolina-hurricanes/article194268649.html

From Jan 12:

http://abc11.com/sports/new-hurricanes-owner-dundon-values-winning-more-than-money/2935110/

Dundon says "I'm not going to walk in and understand more hockey than Ron Francis.  That would be ridiculous."

Bigfist, as with our own personal views on everything, I thing one's personal bias plays into our interpretations? And not to be contrarian, certainly with limited perusal of statements which Dundon made or did not make regarding Francis, but my take is that Dundon utters a more restrained Respect for RF than the rather ebullient praise he speaks of Peters. To me, and possibly only me, he stops short of praise with Francis?

I believe that this team needs to hire an experienced GM.  I don’t think the Canes can hire someone who needs time to grow and develop into the role.  Need someone who has been through all the scenarios before and knows how to handle things from previous experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

As bummed as it would make me, I’ll take it if it means we get a wholly capable coaching staff here who brings us lots of playoff runs.  But keep him in the org...the guy’s got a great work ethic and I still think he could be a decent head coach one day 

Strength and conditioning coach comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Bigfist said:

From Jan. 11:

From Jan 12:

Okay, fair enough. Still, time will tell. 

36 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

I believe that this team needs to hire an experienced GM.  I don’t think the Canes can hire someone who needs time to grow and develop into the role.  Need someone who has been through all the scenarios before and knows how to handle things from previous experience.

I've never met TD, but will bet the ranch that he will. The days of the bargain basement are over, methinks, albeit eight years too late.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Bigfist, as with our own personal views on everything, I thing one's personal bias plays into our interpretations? And not to be contrarian, certainly with limited perusal of statements which Dundon made or did not make regarding Francis, but my take is that Dundon utters a more restrained Respect for RF than the rather ebullient praise he speaks of Peters. To me, and possibly only me, he stops short of praise with Francis?

What you say is correct, but I was responding to Top Shelf's post where he asked me to provide quotes that Dundon had praised Francis when he (Dundon) took over.  Top Shelf had thought that Dundon had been non-committal towards Francis, and I think those quotes would prove that Dundon had been far more supportive than non committal.  In the end, it meant nothing...Francis is out.  I cannot corroborate that Dundon was more effusive in his praise for Peters than Francis.  To me, it looks about the same. Does it mean anything?  who knows?  But I would be careful about quoting Dundon regarding Peters in January and assume Peters is safe for next year.

Edited by Bigfist

1 hour ago, iceman11 said:

Agreed.  Between a 1st time owner, GM, Head Coach, and a sea of under 25 players, this organization needs some grown ups that has had experience in bigger markets that can bring that mentality here.

• Like 1

Man people are upset that this new school guy has come in and rocked the old school hockey boat. Spreading all kind of rumors.  Another reason to love social media!  TD might have to play some damage control and stomp some of this BS out.  

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just 1 quick comment on this Goalieman, and I'm not picking on it as it obviously is true, but not sure this observation is applicable. I've pondered the situation as well as the improbability of it, and decided that what we are witnessing is the "perfect storm" so to speak, in that the team AS WELL AS COACH, have one common, but very powerful bonding aspect. For the most part, they were all rejects, and likely, like the majority of their NHL brethren, competent, proud egoistic hockey players who closely bonded thru their similar feelings? At any rate, just an aside.

Wanted to interject, the Francophile dominated NHL media appears to be going ballistic over one of their Golden Boys being taken down!! Don't misunderstand my rather crass phrasing, as I have admired Ron Francis for many, many years, but as I've stated on several occasions, his on ice hockey acumen has not translated to his managerial skills. Further, I find it poetically ironic that he appears to have excelled during his playing career, In Assists and if one thinks about it, I think the consensus is that his 2nd and later round picks have been masterful. It's the 1st rounders where he is lacking??? I think that if we and this owner are upsetting the staid Canadian crowd, then must be doing something right?

As far as GM candidates, one name I haven't read on his site, but mentioned by Brian LeBlanc on Canes Country is that of Julien BriseBois from Yzerman's group. That makes lots of sense as I believe Dundon has/is identifying with Yzerman. 

My final comment though is that I hope that Dundon does not travel down Terry Pegula's reckless path, as it seems he swept in with grandiose ideas, and look where that team is this many years later. 

I am just a small fish in a big pond. And like Francis, I play the game well but I manage my fantasy team not so well (Usually 5th place or lower), so I will take your words and see what happens. All I know is I want the Canes to excel but sorry to see Francis get "re-positioned" right now. 

30 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Man people are upset that this new school guy has come in and rocked the old school hockey boat. Spreading all kind of rumors.  Another reason to love social media!  TD might have to play some damage control and stomp some of this BS out.  

One reason this old man (me) is getting fed up with most social media.  Not sure where you were looking, but Yahoo basically is full of people full of themselves.  I wouldn't worry about it, and I doubt Dundon will.

Look, we of all fans should be sad to see a class act HOFer go.  And we are.  But we also have lived past the surface, and are suffering greatly at the hands of the management of this team.  In many cases, this is to the benefit of other team's fans.  Why not keep Carolina down?  Good fodder for the press (cue up the "Move to QC stories") or just great fodder for the guys on the ice to get a point or two.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

One reason this old man (me) is getting fed up with most social media.  Not sure where you were looking, but Yahoo basically is full of people full of themselves.  I wouldn't worry about it, and I doubt Dundon will.

Look, we of all fans should be sad to see a class act HOFer go.  And we are.  But we also have lived past the surface, and are suffering greatly at the hands of the management of this team.  In many cases, this is to the benefit of other team's fans.  Why not keep Carolina down?  Good fodder for the press (cue up the "Move to QC stories") or just great fodder for the guys on the ice to get a point or two.

<----- Not an old man, but agrees.

image001.jpg

Thank you GMRF for being a great peace-time consigliere. 

It is time to bring in the war-time consigliere.

• Like 4