The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

FRANCHISE FIRED?!?!?!

Just saw the news. No position in pro sports is meant to be forever. Both Francis AND Brind’Amour are decent men but their past glory is...past. Would be best IMO that this summer they both move on - the Canes are no longer THAT franchise. Question for the die hard cast here...are the Canes taping sticks or polishing their clubs on April 8? 

20 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Just saw the news. No position in pro sports is meant to be forever. Both Francis AND Brind’Amour are decent men but their past glory is...past. Would be best IMO that this summer they both move on - the Canes are no longer THAT franchise. Question for the die hard cast here...are the Canes taping sticks or polishing their clubs on April 8? 

Are you kidding me with that Question?  This team doesn't win against good teams.

15 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

The answer to this rc depends on the effect this firing/reassignment has on each individual player? Although things look dire, could this drastic change unite the group, either out of fear or solidarity for the decision? As we are not tapped into "the room", who knows, my heart tells me one thing, but head another.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

Are you kidding me with that Question?  This team doesn't win against good teams.

True that, but of the 15 games remaining, I only count 4(Boston, Devils, Florida and Tampa) whom I consider that?

I think the players will continue to be what they are but it at least gives me hope to see them crapping their pants that their comfy little stay in Carolina just got put on fire. There's the slim possiblity they take it seriously and put on a show for their new GM to look at but I doubt it.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 2

On Brindy:

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

As bummed as it would make me, I’ll take it if it means we get a wholly capable coaching staff here who brings us lots of playoff runs.  But keep him in the org...the guy’s got a great work ethic and I still think he could be a decent head coach one day 

3 hours ago, hopper915 said:

Strength and conditioning coach comes to mind.

When it comes to strength and conditioning, my fear would be along the lines of an analogy of the superstar player who isn't anywhere near as adept at coaching as he was on the field/court/ice.  I've got to believe that the science of that role has advanced significantly since Brindy's playing days.  I wonder how realistic it would be to expect Brindy to have that level of expertise given his other current responsibilities?   When RF let Friesen go I wondered if it might have been in part because he wasn't advanced enough, and I'd bet that TD will take it to a level even beyond RF.  He's specifically stated that the Canes will be world class on that front, right down to nutrition.

I’m for bringing in Darryl Sutter as coach. I guarantee you won’t see other teams taking liberties with our smaller forwards like Skinner and Aho if Sutter is coach. This team needs to get a LOT more physical....I truly feel sorry for you season ticket holders who have endured the powderpuff hockey BS the past ten years...kudos to TD for shaking things up!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickD_99 said:

I’m for bringing in Darryl Sutter as coach. I guarantee you won’t see other teams taking liberties with our smaller forwards like Skinner and Aho if Sutter is coach. This team needs to get a LOT more physical....I truly feel sorry for you season ticket holders who have endured the powderpuff hockey BS the past ten years...kudos to TD for shaking things up!

TD has stated that he's going to use advanced analytics as a tool to help determine how best to build a winning franchise.  Will that point towards a significantly more physical team?  A bigger team?  A faster team?  Possession stats?  I have no clue, but it will be interesting to find out.  One thing I would bet on is that anyone coaching the Canes (be it BP or a replacement) will be in alignment with the moneypuck strategy that TD settles on.

45 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

TD has stated that he's going to use advanced analytics as a tool to help determine how best to build a winning franchise.  Will that point towards a significantly more physical team?  A bigger team?  A faster team?  Possession stats?  I have no clue, but it will be interesting to find out.  One thing I would bet on is that anyone coaching the Canes (be it BP or a replacement) will be in alignment with the moneypuck strategy that TD settles on.

Whatever direction the team goes in we seemingly now have an owner who is willing to take risks in order to get the ship back on course. I don’t live in NC any more but will continue to watch developments with great interest....

26 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Whatever direction the team goes in we seemingly now have an owner who is willing to take risks in order to get the ship back on course. I don’t live in NC any more but will continue to watch developments with great interest....

Yes!

We have not been in the playoffs in a decade.  This WAS a team that was competitive and won two ECF's in 5 years, won the Stanley Cup and competed annually in the South(L)east division with some minor exceptions.  In the mid 2000's we were in the middle of the NHL in attendance as well and growing. 

People stopped going to games because the product on the ice declined, and with the addition of Waddell the other experiences declined as well.  SO for less product, less game experiences, and a non-competitive team is it not the definition of Insanity to continue along a similar path?  

I have said it before.  We LIKE our guys.  Yet, who would run a near billion dollar asset with guys they LIKED when they are not making headway with the business and in fact you can argue it is being devalued (compared to others in the league) annually?  Answer: NO ONE.

This is not a popularity contest.  We all like and respect Ron Francis.  Its a business.  It doesn't matter what others think, they don't have to put up their own money for the results of business decision's when they go poorly.  AT SOME POINT we will need to out smart, out hustle, out maneuver, and yes maybe even out spend other teams to surpass them.  I've not seen that around here in a long long long time.  

This was a necessary step to stop the insanity and I support it.  Give BP some arrows for his empty quiver and lets see from here.

• Like 3

From that interview...

The good:

As for coach Bill Peters, Dundon said, "I think he's doing a fine job. We're just not getting the results." But Dundon acknowledged the new GM will have a say in whether Peters returns next season.

"I'd be lying if I said the new GM wouldn't have a vote," Dundon said. "That wouldn't be fair to bring in a new GM and not give him a vote. By the way, Bill gets a vote too. Bill gets to decide if he wants to be here. But I like him."

The bad:

Francis was methodical in rebuilding the Hurricanes through the NHL Draft and smaller trades but wasn't able to get them into the playoffs. Though Dundon said he and Francis agreed on most things, they didn't agree on the approach.

"I want someone collaborative, someone aggressive, a good fit for how we're going to go about making decisions," Dundon said listing the qualities he'd like in the Hurricanes GM. "Someone comfortable with the decision-making process where we take lots of input, and, ultimately, hopefully the decisions are organizational. I think that's probably what happens in most organizations. 

The ugly:

Don Waddell, president of Gale Force Sports and Entertainment and in charge of business operations for the Hurricanes and PNC Arena, will lead the GM search, Dundon said, with input from him and Francis.

"Waddell will probably do most of the day-to-day legwork, but I want to make sure that it's someone who really understands the dynamics of the organization," Dundon said. "So I'd like to think we're going to do it together."

:mad:

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

It's also being reported the decision was made last Friday.

Now that part irritates me...why wait nearly a week to announce it?

All this make me think that a difference of opinion arose between TD and RF at the trade deadline. A big enough difference to lead to the change.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

It's also being reported the decision was made last Friday.

I bet good money not making a move had something to do with it.  Again, Kane was there for a 2nd and a prospect and we bailed on a power forward we needed.  Don't gve me this he is cancer crap if it meant getting to the playoffs we could have deal with it for 30 to 40 more games.  This trade deadline was a big disgrace and true slap in the face for the fans.

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

Nope, that actually had nothing to do with it.

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

All this make me think that a difference of opinion arose between TD and RF at the trade deadline. A big enough difference to lead to the change.

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I bet good money not making a move had something to do with it.  Again, Kane was there for a 2nd and a prospect and we bailed on a power forward we needed.  Don't gve me this he is cancer crap if it meant getting to the playoffs.

Sorry I can't find the link to the quote but Dundon, and paraphrasing, said he and Francis agreed making a move at the deadline wasn't worth the price in paying for an upgrade with the orgs best prospects as the price.  

He went on to say that their management philosophies don't mesh.  I think it's more that Francis wasn't comfortable making decisions with input from his staff rather than having the ultimate final say.  The funnel thing.  Dundon removed the funnel and will do it his way and as long as things are progressing to his satisfaction he will stay out of hockey decisions. Something along those lines. 

• Like 2

Here's the part that jumped out at me:

"I want someone collaborative, someone aggressive, a good fit for how we're going to go about making decisions," Dundon said listing the qualities he'd like in the Hurricanes GM. "Someone comfortable with the decision-making process where we take lots of input, and, ultimately, hopefully the decisions are organizational. I think that's probably what happens in most organizations."

I read that as RF being too inflexible, or at least not open enough to other input within the organization.  Hmm, maybe like Peters opinion that we needed more talent? :letssee:

edit: posted the same time as coastal was posting.  When I mentioned Peters' request, I didn't mean just at the deadline.  Peters was pretty vocal about needing more talent last spring.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Peters was pretty vocal about needing more talent last spring.

Yup, and I think TD looked at RF's body of work, talked to folks in the org, and decided that he could have done more but chose not to. Makes me wonder now whether PK actually was willing to spend, as RF claims, but RF wouldn't make anything but the perfect deal.

It's also very clear that RF thinks a lot more highly of Hanifin than his play warrants, and when he capitulated to the kid's ultimatum that he go straight to the NHL or would return to college, it was a pretty clear indication that he (Francis) probably didn't listen much to others, let alone the historical facts of what it takes for dmen to play consistently at this level (i.e., years).  

Waddell leading the search?  For goodness sake!

I need a drink.

Edited by wxray1

13 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Waddell leading the search?  For goodness sake!

I need a drink.

You right for sure. I don’t feel very about the chances with Waddell running the show.

:shock: Just noticed that Mrazek has given up 18 goals in his last 4 games. :score:

I'm not saying that RF was right in not going after him; we were all at the point where we thought that he should have tried something.  But this might have not been the lost opportunity we at first thought it was.

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I bet good money not making a move had something to do with it.  Again, Kane was there for a 2nd and a prospect and we bailed on a power forward we needed.  Don't gve me this he is cancer crap if it meant getting to the playoffs we could have deal with it for 30 to 40 more games.  This trade deadline was a big disgrace and true slap in the face for the fans.

Kane is too much like some our current players, disappears for stretches. Plus he brings that off ice crap shoot on whether he will be in jail at the start of the season.