The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

FRANCHISE FIRED?!?!?!

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup, and I think TD looked at RF's body of work, talked to folks in the org, and decided that he could have done more but chose not to. Makes me wonder now whether PK actually was willing to spend, as RF claims, but RF wouldn't make anything but the perfect deal.

It's also very clear that RF thinks a lot more highly of Hanifin than his play warrants, and when he capitulated to the kid's ultimatum that he go straight to the NHL or would return to college, it was a pretty clear indication that he (Francis) probably didn't listen much to others, let alone the historical facts of what it takes for dmen to play consistently at this level (i.e., years).  

Still riding the Hanifin train even though he is our best offensive d-man?

Whether trade deadline or not it is clear TD sees what we do.  RF was not a good fit as GM.  I'm out of words explaining why after saying it so many times after the trade deadline fail.  

Edited by Manwolf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, winger52 said:

Still riding the Hanifin train even though he is our best offensive d-man?

Not sure if this is sarcasm or serious. Good offensive defensemen have huge, accurate shots from the point. Noah doesn't. They know when to pinch and when not to. Noah is routinely caught up ice. Being the best offensive defenseman on the Canes still puts him at 45th overall--among 31 teams.

Noah's offensive game is better, no question about it. He is very good from the top of the circles in. But his defensive game is still not there. He is dead last among Canes D in blocked shots (read: unwilling to sacrifice his body) and about 50/50 in giveaways/takeaways. The reason is that the NHL is not some co-op for on-the-job training. This thread is about RF, and by not sending Noah back to college, RF went against his stated intention not to put guys on the roster until they were fully developed and NHL ready.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Sorry I can't find the link to the quote but Dundon, and paraphrasing, said he and Francis agreed making a move at the deadline wasn't worth the price in paying for an upgrade with the orgs best prospects as the price.  

He went on to say that their management philosophies don't mesh.

I found it in Elliotte Friedmans 31 points. That is  what Dundon said.  

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not sure if this is sarcasm or serious. Good offensive defensemen have huge, accurate shots from the point. Noah doesn't. They know when to pinch and when not to. Noah is routinely caught up ice. Being the best offensive defenseman on the Canes still puts him at 45th overall--among 31 teams.

Noah's offensive game is better, no question about it. He is very good from the top of the circles in. But his defensive game is still not there. He is dead last among Canes D in blocked shots (read: unwilling to sacrifice his body) and about 50/50 in giveaways/takeaways. The reason is that the NHL is not some co-op for on-the-job training. This thread is about RF, and by not sending Noah back to college, RF went against his stated intention not to put guys on the roster until they were fully developed and NHL ready.

This.

Plus, and this is my own personal bias, even if Hanifin is our best offensive defenseman, that sells me on him about as much as saying Ward is our best offensive goaltender sells me on Ward.  If you can't play defense then you're not a worthwhile defenseman, and like top i think Hanifin was rushed to the point he wasn't able to develop a pro-league defensive ability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

If you can't play defense then you're not a worthwhile defenseman,

And not to :deadhorse:   or   :preach:   but I have to wonder if RF didn't tell BP to encourage "his boy" to get stronger on offense--instead of moving him to get Skog or Duche.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Capture.PNG.051ec031c5ec619d56d2f5b2e4adfc52.PNG

Bingo.  Which validates the point about him being rushed.  RF did him no favors bringing him straight to the NHL when he still had learning to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

Bingo.  Which validates the point about him being rushed.  RF did him no favors bringing him straight to the NHL when he still had learning to do.

Meanwhile, the year-older McKeown, who "made the team" LAST season (per Francis), has a total of 3 NHL games. That's not a complaint; it's developing a guy the right way. He's approaching 130 games in the A and his numbers tell you all you need to know (5G 15A in 55 games this year and +29).

On 3/7/2018 at 9:27 PM, NomarRamon said:

Who's Greg? I assure I am not. If Greg could have posted what i just did then he must have been and astute poster. I have watched Ward since his first season and he has never demonstrated high skills. I played the position (through college) and as a result found it easy to pick apart his glaring weaknesses and poor fundamentals. He is just not very good but for some reason his good 4 games in 2006 made him a mainstay.

Your kinda funny.   In a queasy way.  I am sure you are "a master of your own domain".  Wardo had a couple more good games in 2006 btw.

Only someone that blames the goalie for everything would say Ward has "never" been good since 2006. 2008-2012 we were getting good numbers from him (2010 were GREAT numbers) and only 1 year was taken advantage of while the other 3 totally ****** away.

I can be objective and say he hasn't been getting the job done as a starter in a few years now but he's a more then ample proven backup which is something we also struggle to find if we can just find a starter.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

Outside of a few NHL defensemen, they typically take longer to develop their game. You see a lot of your current NHL defensemen who have spent time either in college or in the AHL working hard to learn, develop their game and get the skills they need to be a top notch defenseman. I agree Hanifin was rushed, and probably would have benefited with some time back in college or at least, with the Checkers. When you're in the Juniors, you learn just the basics. Hanifin was well sought after because of his offensive upside.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Hanifin was well sought after because of his offensive upside.

I think his family and agent also did a great job of hyping him. That's not a slam, it's what they should do. But the buck stops with RF and as you note, teen Dmen who make the jump to NHL stalwartness are the rarest of exceptions--no matter what their PR people say. 

Soooooo...Peters out, Sutter in?

I hope not...

At this point, give Bill the rest of the season and tell him he’s on a short leash to start next season...if we aren’t in contention by mid-December, sayonara.

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I hope not...

At this point, give Bill the rest of the season and tell him he’s on a short leash to start next season...if we aren’t in contention by mid-December, sayonara.

How in the world do you infer that from those tweets, or are you just referencing something else?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I hope not...

The new GM will make that call

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Had to Google him. Twelve seasons with the Kings; has an impressive background as coach and GM on different levels, retooling their entire Amateur Scouting staff and played a big role in the Kings' rebuild.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

How in the world do you infer that from those tweets, or are you just referencing something else?

Nah...just starting the speculation before BD58 chimes in ;)

• Like 2