The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

23 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

:mad: when you suck so badly for so long, other candidates don’t even want to give you a chance 

Perhaps GM's have a list of Teams they DON't want to go to, like the players.:help:

• Like 1

Well either he had no interest either way or are we really missing out on candidates because our job search is coming at an inopportune time for most franchises that actually win games?

Did we even screw up on the timing of firing our GM? Do we suck at literally everything?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not me. I was too busy applying for Secretary of State.

I wonder which job will have the quickest turn over?

• Like 2

I just hope that it doesn't come down to TD becoming the Jerry Jones of the NHL.

I *know* that TD is relatively new to hockey and doesn't profess to knowing anything about the game, but it just looks weird to me that he's new, doesn't know anything about the game, but seems to insist that the new GM will report directly to him. To me, that sounds like TD wants to exercise direct control over how his money is spent. While I can see the point of the argument that "it is his money", if I were being floated as a GM candidate and heard that TD was going to have the final say, I would run the other way, too.

34 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

I just hope that it doesn't come down to TD becoming the Jerry Jones of the NHL.

I *know* that TD is relatively new to hockey and doesn't profess to knowing anything about the game, but it just looks weird to me that he's new, doesn't know anything about the game, but seems to insist that the new GM will report directly to him. To me, that sounds like TD wants to exercise direct control over how his money is spent. While I can see the point of the argument that "it is his money", if I were being floated as a GM candidate and heard that TD was going to have the final say, I would run the other way, too.

Didn't RF report directly to PK?  Who else would the new GM report to?  I mean, Dundon's reasons for "promoting" RF out of the GM position had to do with how he handled that job.  It would make no sense whatsoever to bring in a new GM to report to Francis, the old GM whose philosophy Dundon disagrees with.

I don't want a "hockey Jerry Jones" either, and I haven't seen any sign yet that TD is on that track. Dundon made an effort to specifically acknowledge what he doesn't know and that he'll depend on others in those areas.  My take is that TD is currently defining the vision and roles for the Canes and that he'll get the best people he can to implement them.  Dundon seems like new school management, Jerry Jones just the opposite.  Of course, I could be wrong, lol.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Didn't RF report directly to PK?  Who else would the new GM report to?  I mean, Dundon's reasons for "promoting" RF out of the GM position had to do with how he handled that job.  It would make no sense whatsoever to bring in a new GM to report to Francis, the old GM whose philosophy Dundon disagrees with.

I don't want a "hockey Jerry Jones" either, and I haven't seen any sign yet that TD is on that track. Dundon made an effort to specifically acknowledge what he doesn't know and that he'll depend on others in those areas.  My take is that TD is currently defining the vision and roles for the Canes and that he'll get the best people he can to implement them.  Dundon seems like new school management, Jerry Jones just the opposite.  Of course, I could be wrong, lol.

I see your point, Lake, but I also think that if TD thought RF wouldn't be useful to the team, he wouldn't have bothered to kick him upstairs or across the hall or wherever - RF would have been out the door. The fact that RF still has an office on Edwards Mill says to me that TD values his knowledge and experience, but wants a GM who is more willing to pull the trigger to try to improve the team.

After all, who does RF, as President of Hockey Operations, report to? TD, most likely. The only way TD doesn't have a say in hockey operations is if he chooses not to - say, by being a hands-off owner and just telling management "here's your budget for the next season; spend it wisely" - so the artificial construct of having the org chart show a solid line from TD to the new GM is, well, artificial.

2 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

I guess I'm missing your point. If I owned the joint, my GM would report directly to me, too. It's a pretty standard business model. I sure as heck wouldn't be giving Ronnie or Waddell the final say on how (read: if) my cash is spent, because they've already proved they're not all broke out with work in trying to make the team better NOW.

1 minute ago, JonKerfoot said:

I see your point, Lake, but I also think that if TD thought RF wouldn't be useful to the team, he wouldn't have bothered to kick him upstairs or across the hall or wherever - RF would have been out the door.

There was actually a report that he was going to quit. My guess is TD asked him to finish the season.

I guess I'm missing your point. If I owned the joint, my GM would report directly to me, too. It's a pretty standard business model. I sure as heck wouldn't be giving Ronnie or Waddell the final say on how (read: if) my cash is spent, because they've already proved they're not all broke out with work in trying to make the team better NOW.

Well, okay, I can dig that. I might point out that it isn't *all* TD's cash - there is something that comes out of ticket/parking/concessions revenue that goes into that bucket, so why don't the people who buy tickets, etc. get a vote, too?

There was actually a report that he was going to quit. My guess is TD asked him to finish the season.

Ah. That makes sense, too. Forget I said anything. :lol:

Carolina has also asked the NJD for permission to speak with Tom Fitzgerald.

also believe Hurricanes have reached out to former Canucks AGM Laurence Gilman. Belief is Carolina has reached out to Nashville regarding Paul Fenton and Tampa regarding Julien Brisebois, obvious names..

17 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

I hate the Cowboys, but Jones took a bad team, won several Super Bowls, and turned them into the most valuable team in the NFL, if not, all sports. Jones played for a National Championship team in college, so he knew more about football than TD knows about hockey. I don't really care how TD gets results, as long as he gets them.

On 3/13/2018 at 8:58 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

I've heard of turmoil very early since TD's arrival. RF basically stating that if things got to crazy he was out and he didn't need the job.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I've heard of turmoil very early since TD's arrival. RF basically stating that if things got to crazy he was out and he didn't need the job.

Calling you out on this one  That's just too much without a source.

Educate me with a link.  

On 3/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, JonKerfoot said:

JK, you beat me to the Jerry Jones analogy by 29 hours, but it did occur to me. I’m willing to give Dundon the benefit of the doubt to start. It looks like he has succeeded at everything he’s tried, so why not hockey?

As for RF, I’m pretty sure that was a face saving move in deference to Ronnie’s service to the franchise, as a player and after, plus his HHOF credentials. What new GM is going to come in here and be bound to consult with the guy he replaced. That would be destined to fail. They have to pay Francis until his contract is up so why not give him a title until then? Just my guess though.

12 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I hate the Cowboys, but Jones took a bad team, won several Super Bowls, and turned them into the most valuable team in the NFL, if not, all sports. Jones played for a National Championship team in college, so he knew more about football than TD knows about hockey. I don't really care how TD gets results, as long as he gets them.

Okay, Jerry had some early success, though I lay that more with Jimmy Johnson. I too hate the Cowboys. So change the analogy to Daniel Snyder and my beloved Redskins. He’s brought them bad Khama from day one. Still giving Dundon a pass for now. Not sure how he could make things much worse, and I’m happy to at least be out of PK purgatory.

• Like 1