Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

Recommended Posts

AWAC posted this in another thread but it has as much to do with the GM as the coach so I re-posted the link, Here

Quote

Dundon said Sunday he may opt to have an unorthodox general manager-by-committee using the team’s current front-office staff.

 

and this but discount it if you want because I'm sure Luke has at least visited Canada  :sarcasmalert:

 

Quote

Luke DeCock of The News and Observer reports Dundon attempted to give lowball offers to the assistant general managers he interviewed around the league, at roughly half of the $1 million salary expectation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

 

Again, OBXer, where's the verification?

 

All of this is stupid, completely stupid.

 

Luke is saying that TomD made offers. Even someone as new to the game as TomD isn't stupid enough to say "hey, I want you to be by team's GM. Here's a $500,000-a-year contract for x number of years" without any interviewing being done. Unless you and all these media types (and Jeff O'Neill) believe that TomD has been interviewing GM candidates on the sly even before RF got "promoted" out of the GM position.

 

Here you go a direct quote from Dundon

Quote

 

and wondering if he would be better off with a GM-by-committee approach than bringing in someone new, as curious and decidedly unpopular as that would be with fans.

“Through this process, I'm learning a lot,” Dundon said. “What I didn't want to do is make a decision for the direction of the franchise without having more information. I think I came to the conclusion through the process that we have the people that can do it if we manage them properly and get the most out of them. ..

 

 

Of course Dundon could be part of this fake news conspiracy too :popcorn:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  •  

Hurricanes owner backs head coach Peters

  •  Hurricanes majority owner Tom Dundon threw his support behind head coach Bill Peters on Sunday.

Peters is in his fourth season as head coach of the Hurricanes and has never reached the postseason with the team. The 53-year-old is under contract with the Hurricanes through next season, but owns an opt-out clause to walk away this summer.

Dundon said he doesn’t believe Peters is the cause of the team’s struggles and trusts in him to make the right decisions for the franchise.

“Bill's a hard-working guy that does a good job,” Dundon told The News and Observer.“I don't think Bill is the reason. It's not as simple as 'Bill needs to be better.' Everybody needs to be better. Right now I think Bill's done a good job.

“The question is whether going forward he can get the most out of these guys and he knows that. Bill knows that. And if he believes it, then I believe it.”

If Peters were to walk, the team would be without both a head coach and a general manager.

Dundon moved general manager Ron Francis to the role of president of hockey operations shortly after buying the team and has yet to find his replacement. Dundon said Sunday he may opt to have an unorthodox general manager-by-committee using the team’s current front-office staff.

“Through this process, I'm learning a lot,” Dundon said. “What I didn't want to do is make a decision for the direction of the franchise without having more information. I think I came to the conclusion through the process that we have the people that can do it if we manage them properly and get the most out of them.

“I don't think you're looking for one person who saves you. You're trying to get the most out of all your resources and get everybody to feel a part of it and go through the right structure and process to come to conclusions and decisions. I think I'm qualified to put in those processes in place and I think we have a lot of good people who know hockey when it comes to evaluating talent.”

 There is speculation that Dundon may go with an assistant GM to work with Don Waddell instead of the typical GM role. If that were the case it would explain the low ball 400K figure. I could also see using  Ricky Olczyk  to work with Waddell.   GOD HELP US ALL. 

Edited by slapshot02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're gonna make decisions by committee around here but we're keeping the coach cause I like him.

 

How many more GM's can we strike off the list from his 2nd or 3rd round of public BP support? GM's going to at least want a say in his coach that will without a doubt assist in carving out public opinion of how the new GM does next year.

 

Or he actually goes with literally GM by committee as stated, all the smoke that's needed cleared from the management's office stays in place but the smoke is thicker and even denser.

Edited by legend-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

 

Or he actually goes with literally GM by committee as stated...

 

Because captain by committee worked so well.  (picture my eye rolling emoji here)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no question that it is a bit unsettling as it seems to become more clear that Dundon intends to be very involved with things, and goes as far as floating the idea of no GM, and probably really did low ball a bunch of potential new GM's after firing Ronnie Legend before it had to be done. This is an inauspicious start, and could lead to a very quick loss of the fan - new owner honeymoon period.

 

But one thing seems pretty certain. It's not going to be business as usual. "We like our group" has been roundly shot down as the strategy this off season, and after 9 years of this, I'll take it and watch it unfold with at least that knowledge pushing a different sort of interest on my part. How we handle the GM thing. How we handle the coach thing. How we handle the draft and UFA periods should be a lot more interesting than usual.

 

Not having a GM seems nuts though. I hope that's just something to throw out there. Waddell and Dundon making player decisions? Hard to see how that is a good idea.

 

I am not rushing to renew my season tickets. I'm not sure I even will and conveyed that to my ticket rep. This is what he wrote back:

"I get it and I promise you one thing there will be changes made by Mr. Dundon and the team will look differently when we start the season next year."

I do believe that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, remkin said:

There is no question that it is a bit unsettling as it seems to become more clear that Dundon intends to be very involved with things, and goes as far as floating the idea of no GM, and probably really did low ball a bunch of potential new GM's after firing Ronnie Legend before it had to be done. This is an inauspicious start, and could lead to a very quick loss of the fan - new owner honeymoon period.

 

But one thing seems pretty certain. It's not going to be business as usual. "We like our group" has been roundly shot down as the strategy this off season, and after 9 years of this, I'll take it and watch it unfold with at least that knowledge pushing a different sort of interest on my part. How we handle the GM thing. How we handle the coach thing. How we handle the draft and UFA periods should be a lot more interesting than usual.

 

Not having a GM seems nuts though. I hope that's just something to throw out there. Waddell and Dundon making player decisions? Hard to see how that is a good idea.

 

I am not rushing to renew my season tickets. I'm not sure I even will and conveyed that to my ticket rep. This is what he wrote back:

"I get it and I promise you one thing there will be changes made by Mr. Dundon and the team will look differently when we start the season next year."

I do believe that.

Hopefully, "differently" means better. Sometimes different is just different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Hopefully, "differently" means better. Sometimes different is just different.

 

Agree. At this point I guess I'll take different though. Of course that won't stop me from opining if different seems worse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Hopefully, "differently" means better. Sometimes different is just different.

You're right, different is not sufficient for getting better. But it's necessary for getting better, so at least we've got a chance. The status quo sure wasn't cutting it.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, remkin said:

How we handle the GM thing. How we handle the coach thing. How we handle the draft and UFA periods

I would throw here "how we handle (co-)captaincy" thing - it should be changed as well, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

I would throw here "how we handle (co-)captaincy" thing - it should be changed as well, IMO.

I agree. The simplest way would seem to be to trade one of them....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we end up with a committee I see no reason that we don't give a single vote to the STM consensus, (STMs votes feed into this proportional to $ spent), and an additional vote to the "Forum Consensus" where we will name Rem the poll leader in charge of gathering our consensus.

 

All I want is a seat at the table (or rather 2 seats).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, remkin said:

.....the team will look differently when we start the season next year

He means new 3rd Uni (Whale?) to boost merchandising.  Move along...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Uh, hold on a minute.  I will have a say in who represents me on here.  An ad hoc committee should be formed to discuss this.

seconded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I already applied for the job straight up, but turned it down since it was for less than my customary $1 million/year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hey I already applied for the job straight up, but turned it down since it was for less than my customary $1 million/year.

 

Now we finally know who was whining to the press about being lowballed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we do get a new GM, maybe he will be willing to work with BP and see what the two of them can do. With his contract only being another year, they could work on building the team together this summer with the UFA's, draft, and trades. No one says the new GM has to keep BP all year! If they don't get along, BP can walk away this summer, as stated in his contract. 

I just want a great product on the ice that can compete with the best of them. It's very tiring going to games and seeing us get handled like rag dolls. Being a small team, our speed was not impressive and in the corners we looked lost. OH, and PLEASE! Stop passing the puck back on the power play. Too many teams were doing it and if you can't execute it correctly, don't do it! 

Ok! Tell me where I am wrong now. I am just a rookie!  :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, remkin said:

Hey I already applied for the job straight up, but turned it down since it was for less than my customary $1 million/year.

 

I still don't know why you and the rest didn't jump of 400K for the remaining season. Would have been a steal since we didn't make the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, legend-1 said:

We're gonna make decisions by committee around here but we're keeping the coach cause I like him.

 

How many more GM's can we strike off the list from his 2nd or 3rd round of public BP support? GM's going to at least want a say in his coach that will without a doubt assist in carving out public opinion of how the new GM does next year.

 

Or he actually goes with literally GM by committee as stated, all the smoke that's needed cleared from the management's office stays in place but the smoke is thicker and even denser.

Or maybe it works beautifully. The guy has built ridiculously successful organizations. Our last owner was a nepotist whose own kids wound up suing him. If those are our choices, my money's on Dundon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

A GM by committee would be a joke, just like co-captains...

 

this cant be seriously under consideration.  So I hope.,.

He warned us he's a hands-on owner. If I were him walking into what he's walking into, I'd make a major culture change too. Keep those who adapt, thank those who don't for their service and wish them luck in all their future endeavors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

OH, and PLEASE! Stop passing the puck back on the power play. Too many teams were doing it and if you can't execute it correctly, don't do it! 

I agree, unless Turbo is the one teaching how to execute properly. He comes charging up and drops the puck back after he crosses center ice. Faulk, and several others are turning to look back for who to pass to as they exit the defensive zone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...