The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

5 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

I agree, unless Turbo is the one teaching how to execute properly. He comes charging up and drops the puck back after he crosses center ice. Faulk, and several others are turning to look back for who to pass to as they exit the defensive zone.

Yeah, that play is not going away (here or anywhere else) anytime soon. Speed beats stationary in this game every time. The opposing team can line up at the blue line all they want, but if the puck carrier has speed thru the neutral zone, they or someone they dish to will enter the o-zone with possession, which is the whole point.

Sometimes the Canes execute this backward play to ridiculous levels.  There have been more than a few times that the other team has rushed and disrupted us in our own zone while trying to do this backwards setup, sometimes losing possession.

Mrs. Wxray and I frequently are yelling, "Guys, the goal is the other way!"  :)

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, iceman11 said:

A GM by committee would be a joke, just like co-captains...

this cant be seriously under consideration.  So I hope.,.

I'm hoping some of this is owner speak in an attempt to remove the urgency/desperation on the GM search. Trying to put the org in a better and stronger negotiating position. I just can't tell. There is so much unknown about Dundon as a team owner that it is difficult to know. Perhaps we will get a better idea on Monday - Hurricanes Owner Tom Dundon will hold an end-of-season news conference in the media longue

I have to think the GM by committee thing is just ramblings. There are only 31 GM jobs in the NHL, and most are taken. Someone will take this job. If nothing else the GM by committee puts more pressure on the owner if decisions go bad. The GM has a lot of functions, but one is a guy for the owner to fire (or move up and to the side).

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

I'm hoping some of this is owner speak in an attempt to remove the urgency/desperation on the GM search. Trying to put the org in a better and stronger negotiating position. I just can't tell. There is so much unknown about Dundon as a team owner that it is difficult to know. Perhaps we will get a better idea on Monday - Hurricanes Owner Tom Dundon will hold an end-of-season news conference in the media longue

Well what we do know is that he's hands-on, and that his sports ownership mentor is Mark Cuban. So I won't be one bit surprised if he moves forward with current staff at least for the first year, with Olzcyk as "chair" of the "GM committee." I can also see BP given a bigger say in player acquisition for the NHL roster.

Whatever is ultimately done, a culture change is clearly needed. There's something to be said - especially when new ownership is establishing itself - for making clear that every employee bears responsibility in and will be held accountable for the org's success.  

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Well what we do know is that he's hands-on, and that his sports ownership mentor is Mark Cuban.

I just keep thinking for every Mark Cuban there is a Charles O Finley. As long as they don't make the players wear white skates I guess it will be ok.

Reinventing the wheel always comes with risks. I would prefer hiring a tested GM with a track record, allowing spending to address our needs, hold employees accountable but get out of their way and  let them do their job. If they don't do their job fire them, if they do reward them. But thinking anyone can walk in and make decisions without the background is foolish even if you own the team.  I'm hoping for the best but I am dubious.

9 hours ago, OBXer said:

Waddell is serving as interim general manager but said he is not a candidate for the GM job.

Thank you, Canes.  Or the search team.  Or TD. Or anyone who has ever given any thought or had a conversation with Don regarding how he has been a change agent for our Canes.

I hope his nickname isn't SLUG

34 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I hope his nickname isn't SLUG

Please tell me this guy has oodles of experience elsewhere. Do we really want the assistant GM from the team with the worst record in the league?

12 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Please tell me this guy has oodles of experience elsewhere. Do we really want the assistant GM from the team with the worst record in the league?

Exactly what i was thinking.  Maybe it's the Francis effect where he spent years watching his boss and learning what not to do.

Did some brief research on Greeley.  He started as a scout for LA as they were putting together their championship roster.  Was director of player personnel for the Rangers.  Was a assistant coach and recruiter for Boston University.  On paper, Buffalo should be way better than last place.  He sounds like a good candidate.

12 hours ago, OBXer said:

Here is a write up from the Buffalo News on Greeley

Good article OBXer, and have seen that somewhere else? This man may be a GM in the rough(see what I did there). As many on here and other Canes related sites, I understand the organizational "paranoia" which prevails, and wanting to "just get it right finally", but no reason to condemn a staff person, who APPEARS to have come into that chaotic organization in the later stages, thus may not be tainted? 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Good article OBXer, and have seen that somewhere else? This man may be a GM in the rough(see what I did there). As many on here and other Canes related sites, I understand the organizational "paranoia" which prevails, and wanting to "just get it right finally", but no reason to condemn a staff person, who APPEARS to have come into that chaotic organization in the later stages, thus may not be tainted? 

He was only there less than a year.  He’s been a part of winning franchises. I could get behind this guy.  Also might increase the chances of ROR coming here.

Good is that he is heavy into scouting and has a really good idea of that and what's out there. He also has a clear understanding of the Buffalo prospects and players in case we wanted to deal with them (including a ROR deal). Also, seems like he is part of a three man team already, so that would appeal to Dundon, and surely I would think he would take the job at his age, vs holding out for something better.

Is a bit young for a GM, and at least in that article I didn't read anything about using advanced analytics, but that could be because the article wasn't really about that and no experience as GM. Still since we brought in a guy to help negotiate contracts, that could help ease him in.

• Like 1

Times may be a changing. I've read multiple articles that many teams are looking at the college ranks for potential coaches. Some teams are looking for coaches that have good rapport with young players VS coaches who have rapport with veterans. Age and experience may becoming less of a factor for GM candidates as well if they have other adaptable skills..

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts

Buffalo assistant GM Steve Greeley is there for another interview, and, apparently, there are others Dundon’s spoken to. I think there’s also been some contact with Montreal’s Rick Dudley, but I’m not sure that’s for the GM position.

Where do things stand in Hurricanes' search for GM, head coach?

Waddell said the Hurricanes were “digging in harder” in trying to hire a GM, noting it has to be explained to some candidates that it may not be a job in the tradition sense of most NHL GM jobs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OBXer said:

"not be a job in the traditional sense", Guys this fan base is in for a roller coaster of a ride!! If there was any doubt that securing a GM would prove a

challenge this was a reminder. Hopefully this innovative approach turns out to be genius rather than utterly inept.