The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

Gonna have to be a sweet offer to get a 70 year old Canadian to give up working for the Canadians in what I would guess is the President of Operations role.

Edited by legend-1

11 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

"not be a job in the traditional sense", Guys this fan base is in for a roller coaster of a ride!! If there was any doubt that securing a GM would prove a

challenge this was a reminder. Hopefully this innovative approach turns out to be genius rather than utterly inept.

Dear "GM" Applicant:

We are glad that you are interested in the position of Vice-Chairman of the Owner-GM Committee, the Owner is, of course the Chairman, but your voice will be heard as strongly as all committee members, well, except the Chairman, of course...."

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

On the Carolina Hurricanes …

Jimmy Murphy: Hearing that Steve Greeley is the frontrunner for the Hurricanes GM position.

Interesting. He does, from a very far distance seem to be the type of guy Dundon is looking for in terms of being used to a team approach to things, and a strong scouting background. I do wonder what his experience is in the analytic side of thing (and here again, I mean high quality analytics, not possession type stats).

Then again, this could be where the committee approach could help. We have a contract guy. Have an analytics guy. etc.

Whoa, I am getting excited to have this settled. Perhaps if we do, TODAY, we will also have good luck with the ping pong ball drop later on? Going out soon to purchase lottery tickets as well?

39 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Whoa, I am getting excited to have this settled. Perhaps if we do, TODAY, we will also have good luck with the ping pong ball drop later on? Going out soon to purchase lottery tickets as well?

I saw 'ping pong' and the first thing that came to my mind was the Canes' ping pong tournament.  I think the league should look into that being the way to solve tie games.  Would be more-exciting than shootouts, i think.

6 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

On the Carolina Hurricanes …

Jimmy Murphy: Hearing that Steve Greeley is the frontrunner for the Hurricanes GM position.

Why is he a good choice?  Not criticizing him just want to know why.   Buffalo has had money to spend and has been in shambles for years l.  Does he come with a good resume?  Probably better than Waddell or Velucci I guess....

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun

The Carolina Hurricanes recently spoke with Boston Bruins executive and former Toronto Maple Leafs general manager John Ferguson Jr. about their vacant GM job. Ferguson Jr. has been with the Bruins for the last four seasons. 

They also spoke with Montreal Canadiens executive Rick Dudley about a different role in their organization, but LeBrun reports it doesn't sound like it will work out.

16 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Why is he a good choice?  Not criticizing him just want to know why.   Buffalo has had money to spend and has been in shambles for years l.  Does he come with a good resume?  Probably better than Waddell or Velucci I guess....

Excellent question, BD.

To address the Sabres issue first, Greeley and their other assistant GM, Randy Sexton, were only hired last June. He hasn't been there long enough to soak in that losing culture, IMO.

He started out as a scout with the LA Kings in 2006, after retiring from hockey as a player (he actually played 11 games for the ECHL Charlotte Checkers in 2004-5). He spent three seasons as an amateur scout, then was switched over to a pro scouting role for four more years. In 2013, he went back to Boston U, his alma mater, to serve as associate head coach and recruiter under new head coach David Quinn. In 2015, the NY Rangers hired him as assistant director of player personnel. In 2017, the Buffalo Sabres' new GM hired Sexton and Greeley as assistant GMs; Greeley's role is oriented toward player development.

Here's his page on eliteprospects.com - it shows his non-playing jobs in hockey, as well. DIdn't know they kept that sort of info. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=165864

He's a young guy, only in his late 30s, so maybe some would say he's too young to be GM yet, but he seems to tick a lot of the boxes that TomD would like - knows scouting, is used to working in a collective environment.

Edited by JonKerfoot
Added link

On 4/26/2018 at 7:17 PM, slapshot02 said:

Times may be a changing. I've read multiple articles that many teams are looking at the college ranks for potential coaches. Some teams are looking for coaches that have good rapport with young players VS coaches who have rapport with veterans. Age and experience may becoming less of a factor for GM candidates as well if they have other adaptable skills..

Colorado's coach has been floating around for a couple of years now.

14 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

The prospect of a #1-3 pick could open up a lot of possibilities, both for a head coach as well as general manager,I'd bet.

I was going to post this now that we have #2 , but you beat me to it!

Necas is a serious talent, likely to be in the NHL next year, and now, we will hopefully add Svechnikov. What a sudden difference this makes. With Aho on the road to stardom, and TT right off his flank, and if Skinner returned to form?

Fold in a young, but talented D?

If this team can fix goalie, we have the substrate for a Jack Adams nominee for a new coach.

Fold in the talent percolating up: Foegele, Zykov, Bean, Kuok, etc and this is good stuff for a new GM. A new GM can take what Francis has built and tweak it to get the desired result of a team competing annually for a cup.

Someone will see this, and hopefully make it happen.

If I had such a great mind they'd have accepted my GM application.

But in the "lets overplay this hand in our fantasies" vein, I've also wondered if now having a Svechnikov and Necas and Aho and TT, might entice a certain high profile possible UFA center from New York to glance our way...

Gotta say it's tough to try to keep up with assistant GM's. Bruins had a good year and have to admit Bruins have been good and overall drafted pretty well.

I'm thinking when all this hiring is done there's going to be an awkward moment when everyone goes to their new office and Waddell realizes he doesn't have one to go into.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I'm thinking when all this hiring is done there's going to be an awkward moment when everyone goes to their new office and Waddell realizes he doesn't have one to go into.

First, that's pretty good right there....?

Second, when that happens he joins Francis in the "home office" thing.

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

God I hope so...he never should’ve been hired in the first place!

It is a good resume and includes a lot of scouting. I had to look twice though to see that he was the GM in Toronto for 2003-2008. It did NOT go well. He was very young then and has gained a lot of experience, but check out these moves he made as GM in Toronto:

https://thehockeywriters.com/john-ferguson-jrs-worst-moves-as-maple-leafs-gm/

That last one (#1) especially smarts given our current goalie situation. We want a guy who will make a trade, but....

Again, he was only 36 when he took over in Toronto, and has surely learned a lot, but still gives some pause. I'd love to know what he's done well lately specifically.

18 minutes ago, remkin said:

check out these moves he made as GM in Toronto:

That last one (#1) especially smarts given our current goalie situation. We want a guy who will make a trade, but....

Again, he was only 36 when he took over in Toronto, and has surely learned a lot, but still gives some pause. I'd love to know what he's done well lately specifically.

Oh my. Many bad moves here. Hopefully he has gained more knowledge and experience over the recent years.

57 minutes ago, remkin said:

It is a good resume and includes a lot of scouting. I had to look twice though to see that he was the GM in Toronto for 2003-2008. It did NOT go well. He was very young then and has gained a lot of experience, but check out these moves he made as GM in Toronto:

He's got the Goalie part down as a qualifier ;)

2 hours ago, remkin said:

That's the thing all of the 'hire someone who's been there' screamers need to keep in mind - the experienced GMs/coaches who are available are available for a reason.

• Like 1

Perhaps I've been looking at my new "sunshine, rainbows and lollipops" tag line too much, but...  I'm starting to think Tommy may be onto something.

Yeah, the hockey world pushed back on this youngster.   And Nokia laughed at Apple too.  'nuf said.  Tommy is going to shake things up and try something completely different.  The gods guarding the gates of the hallowed temple of hockey will scream a bit.  And they already have.   So despite my nervousness about Tommy peeving those god-guardians off, I'm up for it.  It is a bit exciting.

I'm guessing... and I know NOTHING ... that Tommy will find that GM who accepts something like $400k guaranteed.  But what the Old Fart god-guardians won't tell you is that Tommy will probably incentivize the daylights out of it in new and innovative ways.  Maybe by offering ownership in the team (similar to stock options).  Or maybe something else more traditional with just a huge bonus if the team reaches the playoffs and certain rounds.  This may rub the old guys badly, but so what.  Tommy will find someone willing to go in this direction.  And with the #2 pick being part of the calculus, it just got to be a much more desirable job.

So, looking on the sunny side tonight!  ?

• Like 2