The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

Dundon is an oddball. Good for him. The world isn't flat and all that.  It's been months of OMG.  

And then the heaven's part and drop the second pick in his lap.

Last laugh is hopefully in the future.

Oh dear.  Please!   This is like having your 90 year old grandpa at the wheel while you sit in back.  Praying!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

SportsNet Don Waddell to continue as Hurricanes general manager in short term

Reading the tea leaves this might mean that we are not sold on Buffalo's assistant GM. Since the Bruins, and possibly other potential assistant GM types' teams are still in the playoffs, we might want to hold off and pick from a wider group.

I actually have a strange affinity for Waddell, maybe it was meeting him, maybe it was because he has made a point to be out among the people (I constantly see him at games).

But I do not want him to end up as GM. That would be an indication that we could not draw anyone else.

But I don't think it will happen. Just have to wait out some of these teams in the playoffs.

Just saw the news that Lou Lamoriello got "promoted" to the Senior Advisor role.

Could we solicit him from Toronto, or he will not even sneeze for 400K?

The other outcome: is TO now looking for GM as well?

11 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Just saw the news that Lou Lamoriello got "promoted" to the Senior Advisor role

I read this was the plan all along. He knew it and lived up to the deal. I don't think Lou is going anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Reading the tea leaves this might mean that we are not sold on Buffalo's assistant GM

That is always possible but the tweet said we couldn't make the deal. That would seem to indicate that at the right price and responsibility structure we wanted him. It appears he was the one walking away not us.

Of course tweets aren't news stories but Friedman is someone who should have hockey sources.

This is getting troubling. We aren’t really looking for a GM if we’re being honest. Chuck Fletcher and Lou Lamariello are GMs who want to run the show. Guys like that aren’t going to want any part of Dundon’s experiment here. 

Dundon couldnt “come to terms” with Steve Greeley. Whether that was due to role or compensation we’ll probably never know. But what is becoming increasingly clear is that Dundon doesn’t think the position is a difficult one and that people in the hockey world should be lining up for the opportunity to work for him.  I don’t think AGMs see the position as a step up from their current roles. And this “we’re in the playoffs so I’m not available to interview” is a load of crap. Paul Fenton had no problem getting himself to Minnesota to interview for their open position last week. Mike Futa’s probably in LA working on the draft and letting his phone go to voicemail whenever a 214 area code shows up on his phone. 

I hope Dundon re-examines his strategy on this one. And quickly. Waddell is no doubt trying to figure out how he can trade the number 2 pick this year to Tampa for Ondrej Palat and Ryan Callahan. 

As excited as I am about Saturday’s lottery, I am terrified that the organizational chaos is going to kill this golden opportunity.  It’s not getting any easier to be a fan of this team. 

• Like 1

There are still other candidates and there is still time. Until it is a done deal we won't know what the GM structure is and what TD is trying to accomplish. He certainly has put us under the hockey world microscope. That was his doing. I'm willing to let this play out for awhile before pushing the panic button.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That is always possible but the tweet said we couldn't make the deal. That would seem to indicate that at the right price and responsibility structure we wanted him. It appears he was the one walking away not us.

Of course tweets aren't news stories but Friedman is someone who should have hockey sources.

I guess I should have considered the other side of that coin. This seemed to be a guy who might be ok with Dundon's committee plan. Not great. I guess we have to keep remembering that there are a limited supply of these jobs. If it is the money though, I just don't get it. GM's aren't under the cap. Is this really the place to try to save an extra $500K? Seems nuts to me. Can't help it, just seems nuts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

I read this was the plan all along. He knew it and lived up to the deal. I don't think Lou is going anywhere.

What it does mean though is any GM we look at may have a chance in Toronto now. The more GM slots that open, they more likely we will not get a seasoned one!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

The more GM slots that open, they more likely we will not get a seasoned one!

That's what I meant. And taking into account TD management style, any seasoned one will have us at the bottom of the options list. We couldn't reach agreement with young Buffalo AGM!

18 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

and Francis had be terminated.

OK boys! We are going down in a cyclone of toilet bowl water!  Joe Nieuwendyk also resigned as Hurricanes pro scout and adviser.

All the kings men

This keeps getting worse! We are the joke of the league now. Waddell is beyond pathetic and was embarrassed to see him represent us at the lottery.  No one wants the GM job. I’m excited about number 2 pick but that’s about it for now. ?

12 minutes ago, Canes06cup17 said:

This keeps getting worse! We are the joke of the league now. Waddell is beyond pathetic and was embarrassed to see him represent us at the lottery.  No one wants the GM job. I’m excited about number 2 pick but that’s about it for now. ?

Too early to panic as Obxer said, lets see how things play out.

Everyone with new ideas is an idiot until it works and then it is called innovative and is copied.

I have no idea how this ends up, it could be an abject disaster, but it also could be brilliant.  It would be kinda cool to be the guys who reinvented hockey management instead of a follower until the end of time.  If it doesn't work, well...  I mean things have been going so well doing things the old way.  How is it any different in the end, failure is failure.

• Like 1

Fun fact.  Waddel drafted Kovalchuck and Heatly.  I have more confidence in him handling the #2 overall pick than Francis.  Not ideal.  But he did draft good players so there's that.

Edited by bluedevil58

After 9 years of no Playoffs I'm on board for change.  There will be a GM, and a coach, and...

What we had wasn't working, up to and including previous owner's below the cap budget.

4 hours ago, Manwolf said:

After 9 years of no Playoffs I'm on board for change.  There will be a GM, and a coach, and...

What we had wasn't working, up to and including previous owner's below the cap budget.

What has our new owner DONE (not said) that makes you believe he will spend to the cap? Maybe he will. But if press reports of his low budget approach to hiring a GM are true, he might be on a budget too. At least, unlike Karmanos, it seems he has the money. Now let’s see if he will spend it.