The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

11 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I've heard of turmoil very early since TD's arrival. RF basically stating that if things got to crazy he was out and he didn't need the job.

Yeah, I'd love a source on this too. That said, I find it completely believable. The more I think about RF's public comments, the easier it becomes to see what appears to have been the other side of his commitment to draft and develop: An inability to let go of prospects to improve the NHL team, and an unwillingness to move roster players until their contracts are about to lapse. 

Just trying to keep track of the potential candidates.

Mike Futa -- Kings

Tom Fitzgerald -- Devils --

Laurence Gilman -- Canucks --

Paul Fenton -- Nashvile --

Julien Brisebois -- Tampa -- 

LakeLivin -- Carolina --

??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Just trying to keep track of the potential candidates.

Mike Futa -- Kings

Tom Fitzgerald -- Devils --

Laurence Gilman -- Canucks --

Paul Fenton -- Nashvile --

Julien Brisebois -- Tampa -- 

LakeLivin -- Carolina --

??

Can I get a "Dilly Dilly"? :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Julien Brisebois is reportedly an analytical type guy which would fall right into TD's vision.

He's the 1 I've had my eye on for some strange reason, slapshot, and likely both because of what you state, as well as he's learning from Yzerman, who I've thought did great things there in Tampa. Just wonder what these others bring to the table?

And bd, why are you behind Gilman?

1 hour ago, Whaler1 said:

Click through to part 2 at the end of the article.  There's some interesting stuff.  Here's a snippet:

NSJ: A move like that obviously sends some shockwaves through an organization. A couple people I’ve talked to just kind of off-the-record have indicated there’s a little bit of walking on eggshells about where things go from here. ....

TD: Yes. I think every day I’ve always lived with the uncertainty of how do you prove yourself today, how can I be better today. It’s a mentality that I want in the organization. It’s a mentality I want in life. ... If someone’s worried about — I think walking on eggshells is wrong because that implies that if you’re all-in and you do a great job and you’re willing to get better, that you’d still have a problem. I don’t think that would be the case. I hope everybody’s uncomfortable because they should be. But not because there’s a new owner, but because that’s the way you get better. .... I think everybody should be uncomfortable just because of the results we’re getting. I’m uncomfortable. I know it’s not good enough. Everybody knows it’s not good enough.

The things that comes to mind is the movie Twelve O'Clock High.   There are some parallels here in management styles and what happens when a downtrodden organization gets a shakeup.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

I think everybody should be uncomfortable

Mission accomplished

• Like 2

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Calling you out on this one  That's just too much without a source.

Educate me with a link.  

I did not hear it personally. I didn't list the source on purpose since I can't verify it. I heard it directly from a friend who speaks with RF regularly. I took it with a grain of salt since i didn't hear it but I have no reason to believe that his information was fictional.

15 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I've heard of turmoil very early since TD's arrival. RF basically stating that if things got to crazy he was out and he didn't need the job.

I know what you wrote is not a direct quote.  However, if true it speaks volumes as to why TD made the right decision.

You know what got crazy?  The team's performance and talent level.  It is painfully obvious he does not see himself or his judgement errors as an issue.  The right thing is to OWN it and make it better.  The attitude you convey is a poor one for a leader.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I did not hear it personally. I didn't list the source on purpose since I can't verify it. I heard it directly from a friend who speaks with RF regularly. I took it with a grain of salt since i didn't hear it but I have no reason to believe that his information was fictional.

Thanks.

Edited by coastal_caniac

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

He's the 1 I've had my eye on for some strange reason, slapshot, and likely both because of what you state, as well as he's learning from Yzerman, who I've thought did great things there in Tampa.

This hits on the only downside i see to looking at another team's AGM and thinking you'll get the second coming of their GM - RF supposedly learned from JR and i don't think he was the second coming of JR in any way, shape, or form.  Bring in someone's AGM, you might just be bringing in the anti-GM who watched and learned all the things not to do rather than the things to do.

17 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Okay, Jerry had some early success, though I lay that more with Jimmy Johnson. I too hate the Cowboys. So change the analogy to Daniel Snyder and my beloved Redskins. He’s brought them bad Khama from day one. Still giving Dundon a pass for now. Not sure how he could make things much worse, and I’m happy to at least be out of PK purgatory.

Yeah, I was going to reply that the Cowboys were the team to beat in the 1990s (two Super Bowl wins under Johnson and one under Switzer), but though they've been more successful than the Hurricanes have been lately - at least the Cowboys have made the playoffs in some of the last nine seasons - they've not been at the pinnacle of the NFL (other than team valuation) in 20 years or so.

Snyder's a different breed - I get the impression that he's the kind of guy who thinks he knows it all. Dundon doesn't impress me as being that way in the interviews and stories I've read about him, though I do wish he'd complete a darn sentence once in a while. :lol:

Not that I expect it to happen.. I think Dundon wants to make a big announcement and get someone new just for the PR value.. but let me announce in no uncertain terms, if Waddell becomes the GM, I'm waddling right on out of here.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Not really much even a Waddell can screw up at a GM meeting

Thankfully.  It isn't like they are voting for a lock out.  Goalie interference review or not?  Let Don have his vote.  :)

That got me thinking. The Canes plan to help STH seems to be doubling down on the chance to win "prizes". Hey, some of them are pretty cool, like traveling with the team. But of course only a few will win them Still it got me thinking...

Missed opportunity: "enter to win the chance to sign a 1 week limited GM contract and represent the Hurricanes at the GM meeting."

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

That got me thinking. The Canes plan to help STH seems to be doubling down on the chance to win "prizes". Hey, some of them are pretty cool, like traveling with the team. But of course only a few will win them Still it got me thinking...

Missed opportunity: "enter to win the chance to sign a 1 week limited GM contract and represent the Hurricanes at the GM meeting."

OK, you brought it up.  Thanks for ticking me off.  These "prizes" are a pile.  I'm just not built that way.  I don't do drawings or games of chance.  I find it to be extremely cheap of the organization.

Ask United Airlines about this gimmick.  They tried it with their employees' bonuses and had a downright revolt.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

Ask them about putting dogs in the overhead bin too. What too soon?

No, not really.  It is related, so not too soon.  You tick off your employees enough, and the culture of "don't care" comes into play.

Same with the players on a sports team.

Oh yeah, AND THE FANS.

I'm with xray on this one. Gimmickry is the last thing this org needs, and I was frankly a bit perturbed that TD even did the "apply on twitter" thing. It was pointless, and I've had my fill of pointlessness from this organization--like, oh, calling up and sending down Zykov, waiving two fourth liners and bringing nobody in to fill their slots, appointing co-captains, and going out and getting Mr. Game Seven but not even giving him a letter.

And that's just in the last nine months.

The Nashville Predators assistant general manager has withdrawn from consideration for the vacant Carolina Hurricanes GM position, TSN's Bob McKenzie reports.

Remaining candidates include New Jersey Devils AGM Tom Fitzgerald, former Vancouver Canucks AGM Laurence Gilman, Buffalo Sabres AGM Steve Greeley, and Hurricanes AGM Mike Vellucci.