The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

Wonder how TD feels about getting APPARENTLY turned down by so many? I'll bet he's not use to that? Does anyone think he's suffering from bucking this nepotistic sport, particularly the Francophile branch?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I missed this from earlier

Report: Predators AGM Paul Fenton withdraws from Hurricanes GM search

33 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I missed this from earlier

Report: Predators AGM Paul Fenton withdraws from Hurricanes GM search

Yeah OBXer, saw that. As I wrote a friend on this, looks like that leaves Canucks' Gilman, Sabres' Greely and our own Mike Vellucci OF THOSE BEING CIRCULATED IN MEDIA. The latter gives me pause to ask, Does Dundon have some candidates that are under the radar? In other words, what kind of poker player is he?

Heard tonight that NJ's Tom Fitzgerald also pulled out of the CAR GM search. Reached for comment, he said, "This is nothing against Tom Dundon. I am very happy in New Jersey and this is not the right time for me."

Why do I suddenly want to read And Then There Were None by  Agatha Christie?

This speaks very highly of something, whether it's the area, Dundon, or the hot mess that is the Carolina Hurricanes in general (or is it the stigma of taking the position that was pulled out from under Francis?).  There are only 31 GM positions available in the best hockey league in the world, and the candidates are playing hot potato with it?  You'd think that even the least-desirable GM position in the NHL would be desirable to anyone wanting that role.

13 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

This speaks very highly of something, whether it's the area, Dundon, or the hot mess that is the Carolina Hurricanes in general (or is it the stigma of taking the position that was pulled out from under Francis?).  There are only 31 GM positions available in the best hockey league in the world, and the candidates are playing hot potato with it?  You'd think that even the least-desirable GM position in the NHL would be desirable to anyone wanting that role.

One even thinks that Newark is better. So it's not the area. Choice of owner or hot mess , down to 50/50.

Edited by winger52

Before too long we'll be down to our Caniac candidates.

I'm guessing this is abnormal, but truthfully I don't pay a ton of attention to other teams GM searches so maybe it isn't? Please tell me it isn't? 

Edited by legend-1

1 minute ago, legend-1 said:

Before too long we'll be down to our Caniac candidates.

I'm guessing this is abnormal, but truthfully I don't pay a ton of attention to other teams GM searches so maybe it isn't? Please tell me it isn't? 

This is not normal.

19 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Probably has something to do with a self imposed cap.  That's my guess.

Dundon has indicated he doesn't have a self imposed cap. He said he won't throw money away but he is willing to spend it to make the Canes better

Well, if we can team captain by committee, then maybe we'll be OK with GM's by committee.

Naw, if it didn't work with the former, what confidence would we have that the latter would work any better.

As I sort of suggested in my recent post, Dundon already is off script with this pre-emptive move, maybe his GM choice will be equally so? Someone nobody is expecting?

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

What about timing? (actual question, not a suggestion) I believe that all of those teams except Vancouver are in the playoff mix.  I wonder if some candidates didn't want to risk the perception of distracting from the goal, even if it their role at this stage of the season wouldn't seem to impact a team like, say , an assistant coach would. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

What about timing? (actual question, not a suggestion) I believe that all of those teams except Vancouver are in the playoff mix.  I wonder if some candidates didn't want to risk the perception of distracting from the goal, even if it their role at this stage of the season wouldn't seem to impact a team like, say , an assistant coach would. 

Yes, Lake, I did not think it would matter, but that may be the exact factor in all this? If so, I wonder if this may be in the works, with TD getting some type of feel for these candidates, and an under the table/behind the scenes agreement for a deal to be made public, AFTER PLAYOFFS?

According to the guys I've heard on Sirius XM, the timing is viewed as very atypical. Then you have the specter of Ron Francis still in the building and real or not, the impression of a meddling owner. Clearly someone will take the job, but it probably won't be our first choice.

It is a weird time to post a job opening because most of these candidates are in the playoff race, and will probably want to play out the rest of the season with their team.  I can understand that. I don’t see this as a big deal yet.

42 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

It is a weird time to post a job opening because most of these candidates are in the playoff race, and will probably want to play out the rest of the season with their team.  I can understand that. I don’t see this as a big deal yet.

Ergo, my comment, Maybe a preemptive strike? Feeling them out so to speak?

I guess these guys don't want a challenge. If so, who needs them? It's going to be tough to build a culture of winning after so many years of losing. I hope we can get a guy that's not afraid to turn this franchise around.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I guess these guys don't want a challenge. If so, who needs them? It's going to be tough to build a culture of winning after so many years of losing. I hope we can get a guy that's not afraid to turn this franchise around.

Reporting directly to Tom Dundon, I'd say that's a good bet that who ever it is will be unafraid and aggressive?

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

Why do I suddenly want to read And Then There Were None by  Agatha Christie?

Good old Agatha R.I.P. I heard she had an unfinished manuscript titled "The case of the missing GM" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

That's a very good point as well, though it would make more sense for the candidates to say 'get back with me after the season's over' than to back out completely.  Though of course that might be exactly what is happening but the media does, well, what the media does.

15 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

That's a very good point as well, though it would make more sense for the candidates to say 'get back with me after the season's over' than to back out completely.  Though of course that might be exactly what is happening but the media does, well, what the media does.

I’d be more leaning towards Dundon wanting a GM much sooner rather than later, and potential GM’s are getting that sense.

• Like 1

Mike Futa -- Kings

Tom Fitzgerald -- Devils

Paul Fenton -- Nashville

Laurence Gilman -- Canucks

Julien Brisebois -- Tampa 

Steve Greely -- Buffalo -- Interviewed

Mike Vellucci -- Canes

LakeLivin / Rem -- Carolina Wild Cards B)

ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 17 16.36.jpg

Seems like the best course of action unless these people bowing out was using this reason just to be nice.

I'm hoping we already have our guy and to be respectful to his club he announced he's bowing out so as to not cause a distraction. 

If not, I assume one of these GM's might make the cup finals or conference championships which makes them unavailable until June and surely you want to talk to all of the candidates to make the right choice. So the new GM will have maybe 2 weeks to do work before July 1? Assuming interviews take a week and worst case one of our favorites makes the cup final?

i'm officially rooting for all our candidates to face plant in the playoffs, we need them now.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Seems like the best course of action unless these people bowing out was using this reason just to be nice.

I'm hoping we already have our guy and to be respectful to his club he announced he's bowing out so as to not cause a distraction. 

If not, I assume one of these GM's might make the cup finals or conference championships which makes them unavailable until June and surely you want to talk to all of the candidates to make the right choice. So the new GM will have maybe 2 weeks to do work before July 1? Assuming interviews take a week and worst case one of our favorites makes the cup final?

i'm officially rooting for all our candidates to face plant in the playoffs, we need them now.

Now? What can they do other than move into an office?