The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Discussions being stalled by low salary offerings.  I thought TD wanted to spend money???!!

Now where is that info, bd58?

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Now where is that info, bd58?

Started with an  O'neill tweet.  Then hockey night in Canada talked about it.  This is either one of two things.  Management didn't do their homework on what a GM salary range is.  Or we are nickel and dining.  I expect the latter.

19 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

What about timing? (actual question, not a suggestion) I believe that all of those teams except Vancouver are in the playoff mix.  I wonder if some candidates didn't want to risk the perception of distracting from the goal, even if it their role at this stage of the season wouldn't seem to impact a team like, say , an assistant coach would. 

I think this does come into play,terrible timing. Most candidates will not entertain the option while they are currently in  the playoff mix. 

It is difficult to tell what is based in fact and what is based in speculation but some pretty good hockey people are reporting the low salary offer is a major stumbling block.

Hurricanes GM search being stalled because of low salary offer, says report

and

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, information being reported openly about said search has not sat well with the organization, who may now be attempting a bit of a misdirection to try to keep information behind closed doors.

good luck with that because this is the only story in town for the next few weeks

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

They are not entertaining the option because TD is offering 400K/year for the position.  He wants a proxy GM with TD being hands on and calling the shots.

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

They are not entertaining the option because TD is offering 400K/year for the position.  He wants a proxy GM with TD being hands on and calling the shots.

44 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It is difficult to tell what is based in fact and what is based in speculation but some pretty good hockey people are reporting the low salary offer is a major stumbling block.

Hurricanes GM search being stalled because of low salary offer, says report

and

good luck with that because this is the only story in town for the next few weeks

I heard the HNC report and only one person said anything about a 400K offer, and that was Nick Kypreos.  Come at me with "some pretty good hockey people", because Kypreos and BD58 aren't on my list.  Neither Elliote Freidman or anybody else who I even half-way trust is reporting this.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 3

On the Carolina Hurricanes …

Pierre LeBrun: Hearing now that the Hurricanes are shifting gears in their GM search. They will pause their search until the offseason when more candidates will be available. The timing for a couple guys wasn’t right.

Craig Custance: The Hurricanes may also have more competition for potential candidates in the offseason as well.

Sonny Sachdeva of Sportsnet: Another issue the Hurricanes are facing with their GM search is money according to Nick Kypreos.

“I’m told in the ballpark of $400,000 a year — that’s where that job will start,” Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos said Saturday during the Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada. “And there’s just no way that they can attract good hockey people, credible people, experienced people to take that salary. Whether or not it’s a lesser role still remains to be seen, but it’s a non-starter for many of the established people that are out there and that have shown interest.”

Elliotte Friedman added that everyone knew who was a candidate and who was pulling out of consideration. The Hurricanes decided to go underground as they didn’t like how much was going public. Friedman thinks they will continue their search but it will be much quieter this time around.Proudly powered by WordPress Theme: Newsmag Child.

Carolina reached out to Pittsburgh regarding AGM Bill Guerin a few days ago but he politely declined to get involved in the process. Timing wasn't right for him.

My understanding is that Carolina is now shifting gears. Going to put a pause on the new GM search until the off-season when a wider field of candidates may emerge. Timing wasn't right for many guys.

59 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I heard the HNC report and only one person said anything about a 400K offer, and that was Nick Kypreos.  Come at me with "some pretty good hockey people", because Kypreos and BD58 aren't on my list.  Neither Elliote Freidman or anybody else who I even half-way trust is reporting this.

No need to justify it.  Reports popping up everywhere.  Cat is out of the bag.

17 minutes ago, cswcu48 said:

No need to justify it.  Reports popping up everywhere.  Cat is out of the bag.

I have no idea what you are even talking about dude.  

One guy reporting the Canes are coming with low ball offers, and other sources picking up his report and repeating them doesn't equate to multiple sources - It's still one guy.  

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Ok let's just see what happens.  Screen name issue is happening again. 

Yeah, now let's be objective, after you already came around stating it as some kind of fact.  

Did you not even stop and wonder how this might not be accurate when even coach's make more than twice that?

Whatever, until something more concrete than Kypreos comes out, I'm skeptical there is any truth to this.  I don't blame the org for going underground to avoid this kind of reporting.  It may end up being true but right now, it's just not enough for me.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yeah, now let's be objective, after you already came around stating it as some kind of fact.  

Did you not even stop and wonder how this might not be accurate when even coach's make more than twice that?

Whatever, until something more concrete than Kypreos comes out, I'm skeptical there is any truth to this.  I don't blame the org for going underground to avoid this kind of reporting  speculationIt may end up being true but right now, it's just not enough for me.

Ftfy.

Seems like a stats guy could figure out what constitutes a sufficient salary for a GM.  Being cheap in this hire makes absolutely no sense.  This hire HAS to be right, or more Sisyphus

8 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Seems like a stats guy could figure out what constitutes a sufficient salary for a GM.  Being cheap in this hire makes absolutely no sense.  This hire HAS to be right, or more Sisyphus

Exactly. And by all accounts, Dundon doesn't seem to be an idiot.  Which is what makes me skeptical of the accuracy of the "report" in the first place. I wouldn't be shocked if this report/ rumor/ speculation turns out to have been started by someone looking throw a monkey wrench into the process.  Like maybe someone within one of the organizations we might be considering hiring from?

OR

The report said "starting at $400k".  Now, Whaler listed potential candidates for the job.  Looking at that list, maybe that's what TD is willing to pay if he picks me or rem for the job?  With the salary for more experienced (but perhaps not better) candidates going well up from there? :P 

So because we can't believe salary might be an issue we out of hand discard it as rumor and innuendo, This came out of a discussion on Hockey Night in Canada where Friedman and Kypreos  were part of the panel. When the salary issue was first posted someone asked for a source so I found one and posted it. But if you notice I quoted the Friedman reset because that is as important to me as the money issue.

Then I guess because I was supporting BD's post with a source it was suggested, no stated Come at me with "some pretty good hockey people", because Kypreos and BD58 aren't on my list.  Well OK, I wasn't coming at anyone by sourcing a story and I never quoted BD58 or Kypreos but Friedman. I get the skepticism but Kypreos isn't an internet reporter he is a commentator/ analyst for Sportsnet and Hockey Night in Canada for almost a decade and a former NHL player who probable has a few more insider contacts than any of us do.  Could he be wrong, sure but to discount what he says as a backhanded way to take a slap at the credibility of a poster is ok I guess.

It is valid to have a differing point of view. I find it hard to believe we would low ball such an important position. I am certain if it is true the TD will adjust. He is too smart of a businessman not to. But it is more than possible that money is an issue, it is certainly possible timing is a bigger issue. It is IMO certain that this GM search was becoming a fiasco as it was playing out. Dundon was smart enough to see this and reset the process. In the end all that matters is we take a step forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Exactly. And by all accounts, Dundon doesn't seem to be an idiot.  Which is what makes me skeptical of the accuracy of the "report" in the first place. I wouldn't be shocked if this report/ rumor/ speculation turns out to have been started by someone looking throw a monkey wrench into the process.  Like maybe someone within one of the organizations we might be considering hiring from?

OR

The report said "starting at $400k".  Now, Whaler listed potential candidates for the job.  Looking at that list, maybe that's what TD is willing to pay if he picks me or rem for the job?  With the salary for more experienced (but perhaps not better) candidates going well up from there? :P 

I want some incentives though.