The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

31 minutes ago, OBXer said:

So because we can't believe salary might be an issue we out of hand discard it as rumor and innuendo, This came out of a discussion on Hockey Night in Canada where Friedman and Kypreos  were part of the panel.

Hold on just a minute.  Nobody said anything about discounting the rumor/speculation, but you reported it here as "multiple" sources which isn't true, now is it?  It's one guy.  Did you watch this last night?  I did.  The panel discussion was over when Kypreos chimed in with his low-ball content. Nobody even responded to him.

As far as your other accusations, BD58 should be responsible for his own posts, and as is his usual history, runs with things with no sources.  Also, I stated clearly this could turn out to be true, but until there is some additional info from credible sources (and I get to choose who I think those are) then I think there's enough reason to be skeptical of the speculation.

Go back and read for yourself.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Discussions being stalled by low salary offerings.  I thought TD wanted to spend money???!!

14 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Started with an  O'neill tweet.  Then hockey night in Canada talked about it.  This is either one of two things.  Management didn't do their homework on what a GM salary range is.  Or we are nickel and dining.  I expect the latter.

5 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

They are not entertaining the option because TD is offering 400K/year for the position.  He wants a proxy GM with TD being hands on and calling the shots.

34 minutes ago, OBXer said:

So because we can't believe salary might be an issue we out of hand discard it as rumor and innuendo, This came out of a discussion on Hockey Night in Canada where Friedman and Kypreos  were part of the panel. When the salary issue was first posted someone asked for a source so I found one and posted it. But if you notice I quoted the Friedman reset because that is as important to me as the money issue.

Then I guess because I was supporting BD's post with a source it was suggested, no stated Come at me with "some pretty good hockey people", because Kypreos and BD58 aren't on my list.  Well OK, I wasn't coming at anyone by sourcing a story and I never quoted BD58 or Kypreos but Friedman. I get the skepticism but Kypreos isn't an internet reporter he is a commentator/ analyst for Sportsnet and Hockey Night in Canada for almost a decade and a former NHL player who probable has a few more insider contacts than any of us do.  Could he be wrong, sure but to discount what he says as a backhanded way to take a slap at the credibility of a poster is ok I guess.

It is valid to have a differing point of view. I find it hard to believe we would low ball such an important position. I am certain if it is true the TD will adjust. He is too smart of a businessman not to. But it is more than possible that money is an issue, it is certainly possible timing is a bigger issue. It is IMO certain that this GM search was becoming a fiasco as it was playing out. Dundon was smart enough to see this and reset the process. In the end all that matters is we take a step forward.

BD put it out there as fact.  That's what I was responding to, and weighing in on where I think it likely falls on the spectrum between fact and speculation given my take on the circumstances. 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

I'm not saying the low ball report is fact or fake news.  I just know that it seems ridiculous that the most important hiring a new rich owner is going to make is going to be low balled.  $400k is couch cushion change to an NHL franchise.

For what it's worth, I think this whole mess makes the organization look bad, and I think Dundon needs to get ahead of this.  I think the first step, as Friedman reported, was to keep the process in house, as it's become too public.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'm not saying the low ball report is fact or fake news.  I just know that it seems ridiculous that the most important hiring a new rich owner is going to make is going to be low balled.  $400k is couch cushion change to an NHL franchise.

I absolutely agree it seems almost farcical. I don't think it can be discounted as "fake" news until it is proven so. For a reporter/commentator to say I hear that the salary being offered is low could be more guess work or based on speculation but to actually name a figure would lead you to believe a veteran reporter/commentator has an actual at least somewhat reliable source. We may never know. If I'm the Canes I say that isn't really true.

More  amazing for me is that all this coverage of the GM search was self inflicted. The timing was awful. The boot of Francis a respected hockey guy leaving the organization in what appears to be a decision by committee for the interim, while at the time still in a slim but possible playoff hunt and by a new owner without a hockey pedigree screamed out for the hockey world to get out the microscope. I'm sure it will all settle down but for now the only thing that is accomplished is we are once again the butt end of a hockey joke.

• Like 1

I'm calling it now.  We start the season with Waddell is the interim GM.  The season ends with him being removed as GM.  Technically speaking, O'neill tweet and then hockey night in Canada are 2 different places that cited the low salary.  Technically that is multiple sources. 

I am just saying. 

3 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm calling it now.  We start the season with Waddell is the interim GM.  The season ends with him being removed as GM.  Technically speaking, O'neill tweet and then hockey night in Canada are 2 different places that cited the low salary.  Technically that is multiple sources. 

I am just saying. 

Now let me get this right. You think that TD will reward the guy in charge of the GM search, who fails to find a GM, with the GM job. Just saying.

27 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Now let me get this right. You think that TD will reward the guy in charge of the GM search, who fails to find a GM, with the GM job. Just saying.

Now THAT makes sense, lol.  TD tells Waddell he's completely in charge of the GM search.  Waddell lets it be known that the salary is only $400k, that TD will dictate all player moves, and that the GMs office will be the far s.tall in one of 3rd floor men's rooms.  Every other candidate drops out and Waddell snags the job. :P

Seriously, though, *edit* Chaney was in charge of the VP search for Bush, so I guess that scenario isn't completely unprecedented. :o

edit: the site won't let me use the word "s.tall".  Unless I break it up, it posts as "Staal" after I submit.  What's up with that, lol?

Edited by LakeLivin

50 minutes ago, OBXer said:

For a reporter/commentator to say I hear that the salary being offered is low could be more guess work or based on speculation

Like this respected reporter and x-player?  :lol:  Disclaimer - this is a joke, well, a joke about a joke of a hockey reporter.  Who is also most always on panels.

Think it's a coincidence that this wasn't retweeted over the last 5 days?

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

If i am to be completely honest, BD58's prediction wouldn't totally surprise me.  That would be a total Hurricane thing to do.  Dundon is still an unknown quantity and i'd like to think there's a new mayor in town, but until a hire is made, it isn't out of the realm of possibility.  Damn i hope that doesn't happen...

Everybody needs to relax.  

The Canes will get a new GM.  

No one knows what exactly happened with Francis.  Maybe he didn’t want the job and basically quit.  Who cares.  

Dundon just spent $500 to buy a team. Did everyone really think that he was going to come in and keep all the same current employees?  Keep things status quo?

i fully expected he would bring in his own guys and his own management team.

Francis was PK’s guy...As far as I’m concerned, it was time for a GM change.  

This team was screaming for a change all season long.  It was blatantly obvious that things were just not clicking and the need should’ve been addressed long before the trade deadline.  

RF should’ve pulled the trigger on a trade to send a message to the roster.  By doing absolutely nothing, you tell the players you don’t believe in them.  

So now we are in the current predicament where the team is garbage, players have quit playing for the coach, coach knows he’s all but gone.  Fans don’t show up...etc.

Considering that the current management allowed a dual captainship this year, we should’ve known that no one knew what the heck they were doing.

Another season down the toilet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iceman11 said:

Dundon just spent $500 to buy a team.

Damn...I had no idea we were only worth that much!  Hell, I’d have paid twice that amount for the team ;)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Now THAT makes sense, lol.  TD tells Waddell he's completely in charge of the GM search.  Waddell lets it be known that the salary is only $400k, that TD will dictate all player moves, and that the GMs office will be the far s.tall in one of 3rd floor men's rooms.  Every other candidate drops out and Waddell snags the job. :P

Seriously, though, *edit* Chaney was in charge of the VP search for Bush, so I guess that scenario isn't completely unprecedented. :o

edit: the site won't let me use the word "s.tall".  Unless I break it up, it posts as "Staal" after I submit.  What's up with that, lol?

You forgot to add that Waddell's price is 2.5 mil.:rofl:

• Like 1

$500 million.  My bad.

trust me, I’ve wanted to smash my TV the past few weeks.  Now it’s time to relax. 

Just flush flush the toilet and reboot for next year 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Like this respected reporter and x-player?  :lol:  Disclaimer - this is a joke, well, a joke about a joke of a hockey reporter.  Who is also most always on panels.

Think it's a coincidence that this wasn't retweeted over the last 5 days?

It appears O'Neill hasn't slowed down on his alcoholic beverage consumption. I was in a local saloon one night when Jeffy was on the loose. Very ugly, but I liked it.. O'Neill never answered the question raised on his tweet. 

1. 0 replies0 retweets3 likes

Retweet

1. New conversation
Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

It could work. We all know that Steinbrenner worked for Costanza.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:38 PM, realmdrakkar said:

That's a very good point as well, though it would make more sense for the candidates to say 'get back with me after the season's over' than to back out completely.  Though of course that might be exactly what is happening but the media does, well, what the media does.

TD might want to name a guy while the playoffs are still on. By starting now, he can ask guys who have withdrawn again, after their teams are eliminated.

5 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Did you not even stop and wonder how this might not be accurate when even coach's make more than twice that?

Isn't it funny, coastal, how people who think they are in the know are the same ones who don't understand how reporting, sourcing, or journalism works--and the ones who "distrust the media"?

• Like 1