The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Search (Hurricanes need a GM)

16 minutes ago, remkin said:

Imagine putting that together and coming away with RNH, JVR, and drafting Wahlstrom. Not bad.

And a goalie in a pear tree. Merry Christmas Canes fans.

Edited by slapshot02

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

And a goalie in a pear tree. Mary Christmas Canes fans.

Yeah but my thing could actually happen!

I can't even imagine this team with at top 15 goalie. But we can dream....:Goalie:

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah but my thing could actually happen!

I can't even imagine this team with at top 15 goalie. But we can dream....:Goalie:

I do expect or should I say hope for a very active off season. A new owner and a new GM making a splash in the UFA and draft/trade market. IF TD does very little he would lose his fan base very quickly. An inactive off season would lose me for ever as a fan. TD doesn't have patience and we have even less.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Not even a mouse fart from the "media" after the el-cheapo speculation.

What prey tell needs to be said? By "media" I'm assuming you mean the Francophile group, but they likely smugly say, Well what do you expect?

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

What prey tell needs to be said? By "media" I'm assuming you mean the Francophile group, but they likely smugly say, Well what do you expect?

Well okay then.  But that wasn't the point.

So that brings up a question OBXer. Should the search be on hold until after the cup is won, there's very little time to get him/her(now wouldn't that put the hockey world on its collective head) in place before the draft. So, when does this suspended search begin, or has his foray established a tentative list?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

So that brings up a question OBXer. Should the search be on hold until after the cup is won, there's very little time to get him/her(now wouldn't that put the hockey world on its collective head) in place before the draft. So, when does this suspended search begin, or has his foray established a tentative list?

I have no idea but I suspect the search is still going on but under the radar. When it ramps up again in earnest would be a guess

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

"Tom does not want to be general manager of this team. ... The general manager is going to have the say of drafting players and trading for players."

Something tells me TD will be more careful choosing his words in future interviews. ^^ That's all he had to say and maybe add that he expects to be kept in the loop.

Oh those Canadian sportscaster just won't ignore us anymore :facepalm2:  More out of Sportsnet on the GM search Elliotte Friedman  31 Thoughts

There are a few issues here. Tops among them, as Nick Kypreos and I mentioned last week, are authority and salary.

fan960.com 

The GM talk starts at 3:07 in

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Oh those Canadian sportscaster just won't ignore us anymore :facepalm2:  More out of Sportsnet on the GM search Elliotte Friedman  31 Thoughts

fan960.com 

The GM talk starts at 3:07 in

So, who is that condescending blowhard? Francophilia at its zenith, presuming he knows Tom Dundon and projecting(i.e. hoping) "its not going to go well?

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, who is that condescending blowhard? Francophilia at its zenith, presuming he knows Tom Dundon and projecting(i.e. hoping) "its not going to go well?

Elliotte Friedman joined Sportsnet in June 2014 as an insider and reporter for the network's national NHL coverage and Hockey Night in Canada. In addition to his on-air role, Friedman regularly contributes to sportsnet.ca, analyzing the latest NHL news in his regular “31 Thoughts”

John Shannon (born June 21, 1956) is a Canadian sportscaster and a current panelist on Rogers Sportsnet's Hockey Central. In 2003, he won a Sports Emmy Award for Outstanding Live Sports Special for his work on NBC's broadcast of the XIX Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City.

Then OBXer, I would defer to your knowledge, Is it just me being defensive for my team and its new owner, or are these 2 being objective in their tacit criticism? To me, their critic smacks of an "Old Boys Club" critical of anything of as they put it also there, "the lower 49". I've seen on here thru the many years I've read these posts, that there are those in the media who are respected and others not, but quite frankly I do not keep track. Further, I suppose that I continue to resent the nasty characterizations that permeated far and wide thoughts of many other fan bases, and likely still do to some degree, that this is"Red Neck Hockey". Now maybe my prejudice here is just as unfair as what I'm accusing the entirety of particularly the Canadian media of, but please enlighten me on these two, and more critically, on their reflections. In part, I do not accept that they, or anyone else, knows at this early stage in his ownership, what Tom Dundon is prepared to offer a GM? 

I just posted followup information on the GM search. Take it for what it is. At risk of being misinterpreted again I will only say as I did after the first time I posted, we shouldn't discount what is being said, not blindly accept it either but until we have more information to make a critical evaluation don't throw it out because we don't want to believe it.

We should keep in mind that Friedman and Shannon both work for Sportsnet as does the original analyst who first brought it up. It would nice to have another sports news organization write their own take on this. These two did both add what appeared to be specific additional information. I think they are trying to figure out why all these alleged candidates for the job backed out. Do they have a source others don't. Sounds like it. Are they all making it up? That would be risky even for the Canadian media with an ax to grind if indeed they really have an ax to grind. 

Don't believe anything out of hand is my advise but don't throw it away either. Something clearly went very wrong with the initial GM hunt. Everyone in hockey including we fans are curious just what Dundon is going to do. To think a Canadian reporter might know something about hockey and have sources isn't that outlandish.

Read it, think about it and believe what you want but don't bury your head in the sand because you don't like it.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Don't believe anything out of hand is my advise but don't throw it away either. Something clearly went very wrong with the initial GM hunt. Everyone in hockey including we fans are curious just what Dundon is going to do. To think a Canadian reporter might know something about hockey and have sources isn't that outlandish.

Read it, think about it and believe what you want but don't bury your head in the sand because you don't like it.

We have no way to verify what Friedman, Shannon, and Kypreos are saying, so why should we give them the benefit of the doubt when they say stuff like that? I don't call that "burying one's head in the sand", I call it what it is - being suspicious of a claim that originated with one person on one particular sportscast and is now being echoed by others from that same sportscast.

Look at it this way - the only way Friedman, Shannon or Kypreos would "have sources" would be if 1) one of the previously-mentioned candidates said something to one of the aforementioned talking heads about one of those factors, (or, more likely, said it to someone, who told someone else who told someone else, etc., like a game of Telephone), or 2) someone from the Hurricanes' organ-i-zation said something to someone who said something to someone, etc., etc. Any other origination of the statements of Kypreos, Friedman and/or Shannon would be producing them from a vacuum - not unknown in the realm of the "talking heads," where making outrageous statements == higher ratings - but that's not the issue being dealt with here.

If it was the latter, the source's days as a Hurricanes' employee or associate personage are numbered. Most people don't like that sort of thing, and CEOs like it less than most, I would guess. If you owned the Hurricanes, would you want someone who works for you blabbing that you've mentioned the figure of $400K for the salary of the new GM?

If it was the former, then why is it unreasonable to think that the someone who is the "source" does have an ax to grind? There are a few people, even in hockey, who aren't exactly wedded to the idea that "the league is successful if every team is successful." Especially if they happen to have a personal agenda, like, I don't know, striking back at the Hurricanes for not moving to Quebec City....

Furthermore, even if the GM candidate wasn't the one who told Friedman, Shannon and/or Kypreos, would you actually want to hire a guy who makes an offhand comment to someone that "oh, I'd never take that job - they're offering a ridiculously low salary"? I would certainly have to wonder about the ethics of someone who would say something like that, because you just know that the person you're saying it to might blab to the media and would probably tell someone who would blab to the media.

Long Remkin-esque post short, I know what went wrong with the initial GM search - the media didn't think much of Hurricanes ownership being so open about their search and figured it was the perfect thing about which they could pile on the organ-i-zation.

8 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

I call it what it is - being suspicious of a claim that originated with one person on one particular sportscast and is now being echoed by others from that same sportscast.

A little suspicion is always a good thing. But it is no longer one guy being picked up by others. Both Friedman and  Shannon added new information. Doesn't make it true, doesn't make the source(s) reliable. If you want to see it as a press ratings motivated conspiracy that is as good an explanation as any. I don't buy it but it could be. 

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

A little suspicion is always a good thing. But it is no longer one guy being picked up by others. Both Friedman and  Shannon added new information. Doesn't make it true, doesn't make the source(s) reliable. If you want to see it as a press ratings motivated conspiracy that is as good an explanation as any. I don't buy it but it could be. 

Okay. Where did they get their information? I know, I know, it's not in their best interest to reveal who they're talking to, but if I were TomD, I'd sure want to know. If it's the mentioned candidates, themselves, they would be immediately out of consideration for ANY position in the NHL, if I had anything to do with it. Going to the media and saying "hey, these guys aren't willing to pay people what they're worth" is ethically sleazy, and I wouldn't countenance that in the least.

I don't buy it, myself. It might well be that those so-called sports journalists are trying to ingratiate themselves with some people by trying to boost their salary - then they think they could use that as leverage in "fact finding" - "Hey, remember, I made a fuss about that low salary offering and they had to boost it, so you owe me." Semi-educated self-interest, you know. ;)

3 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

if I were TomD, I'd sure want to know.

We agree on this. If I were TD I would want to know too. Good luck with that Tom.

Let me be clear. I didn't say we should buy this, at least in its entirety. I said we shouldn't discount it as  possible.

TD gives RF the boot-Canes announce GM search- Candidates begin pulling out-TD suspends search until later. Whats the story here that we are looking for a GM or we can't find a GM.  Whats the question-WHY? Whats the answer. I don't know but I'm going to keep reading about it with an open mind.

We will find a GM, that I'm sure of

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

TD gives RF the boot-Canes announce GM search- Candidates begin pulling out-TD suspends search until later. Whats the story here that we are looking for a GM or we can't find a GM.  Whats the question-WHY? Whats the answer. I don't know but I'm going to keep reading about it with an open mind.

We will find a GM, that I'm sure of

The bolded sentence/question is why I'm not giving this alleged story a second thought.

What is it about the process that would make one suspicious? Isn't this how the majority of executive searches in pro sports happen? A guy gets fired, so people know that there's a search going on. A team needs a GM, right? The team owner realizes, after a few guys say "no, I don't want to deal with this during the season" or "I'm happy where I am," that the timing isn't right, so he says "okay, we'll wait 'til after the season."

Is it really all that reasonable to think that there's actually anything more going on than there appears to be on the surface? I don't think so, personally.

Sometimes, a banana is just a banana, Anna.... ;):lol: