The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

And then there is the put-butts-in-seats factor to consider.  A big power forward who can fly and score.  Yeah, more butts for us. 

Also, I have it on good authority that the Sabres fanbase would burn down the KeyBank Center if they don't pick Dahlin, with defense the weakest part of their team.

The stars have aligned.  Pick Svech, move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Not a problem linking twice, though I did link to it above. But yes, that puts him in rarefied air. Given GM's tendency to prefer drafting forwards, I just get a little nervous about Buffalo taking him. But Buffalo needs D and has Jack Eichel, so hopefully not. 

Ah, I saw that the link wasn't with the table I originally posted, but overlooked it in your post. Sorry about that. 

Just watched about all of the goals and assists by Svech I could find on youtube. Yes. I can't remember so many goalie looking absolutely baffled. He really often looks like a man among boys out there. Subtle skills to go with the flashier ones. Great vision and passing too.

Yes, this guy will put people in the seats, which is a good point, as well as I think Necas' free-ranging speed, Aho's all around game, TT's super slick skill, and even Skinner's unique style if he gets back on his game can all be worth the price of admission.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, remkin said:

Just watched about all of the goals and assists by Svech I could find on youtube. Yes. I can't remember so many goalie looking absolutely baffled. He really often looks like a man among boys out there. Subtle skills to go with the flashier ones. Great vision and passing too.

Yes, this guy will put people in the seats, which is a good point, as well as I think Necas' free-ranging speed, Aho's all around game, TT's super slick skill, and even Skinner's unique style if he gets back on his game can all be worth the price of admission.

Landing the number 2 overall pick is a blessing.  I am still trying to decide if he is an impact now player or more like a Eric Staal when he was drafted.  Either  way, we need to find a solution to the goal tending issue.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Landing the number 2 overall pick is a blessing.  I am still trying to decide if he is an impact now player or more like a Eric Staal when he was drafted.  Either  way, we need to find a solution to the goal tending issue.

Yeah it's highly variable how much these types of guys produce year one. By year 2 most of them are well on their way though. Still, watching Svech, I really think 40-45 points is very conservative. If we just consider him a third liner year one, that's still very good production. And of course there are the guys that score a lot more year one, which would not be surprising for him at all, in fact predicting more would probably be the safer bet.

Also, as much as I want to add to our forward core, the arrival of Svech and probably Necas, definitely makes that job 2. Waddell can reap the benefits of A. What Francis built, and B. Luck at the lottery, by doing one thing: finding us a good NHL #1 goalie. (Assuming he just steps up and picks Svech).

top has posted a concern which I think should be considered. That concern being Svechnikov's apparent size. Do we believe that, as well as his acclimation to a longer NHL schedule, will not hinder him? Is his speed a deterrent to having to go against the muscle mass he'll undoubtedly be facing every game? How to avoid the predictable "head down " intro that someone will welcome him to at this level, vicious or not? Some time spent in the AHL may help to acclimate him to smaller rink, but as I understand, the AHL players are just a bit more dangerous? Skinner did great at start until our friend Doug Weight leveled him. Hope I'm not being overly concerned on these matters also?

Necas also in this same consideration?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Kjun, do you mean him not having a lot of weight?

He cannot go to the AHL since he's in Canadian Junior Hockey, so that's not an option. But to be honest, the AHL is pretty brutal. Maybe a half step slower than the NHL, but far from free of big hits.

Necas is a string bean. Necas is pretty elusive though.

Still anytime an 18 or 19 year old are putting up points in the NHL someone will hit them. But again, with Necas, the AHL is pretty rough too. Personally I see the AHL's value in getting guys used to smaller ice, and learning to play a more structured 2 way game. Less so about keeping them from being hit.

As to Svech going back to Juniors? It just isn't happening. Just read this list of scouting one liners all written recently: See my green highlights pertaining to the NHL next year. And before reading these, people might want to get something to wipe up the drooling.

Andrei Svechnikov's Player Profile

Dan Marr - Director of NHL Central Scouting: "Svechnikov has a consistent and competitive power game that gets the puck through checks and to the net with speed and skill. He’s able to create and finish scoring chances in a timely manner and quickly established himself in the OHL as an offensive impact player."

Adam Kimelman - NHL.com - April 30: "One scout who watched Svechnikov play said he already looked like an NHL player. The Hurricanes need to add offense, and the 6-2, 188-pound wing is the best forward in the draft. "

Mike Morreale - NHL.com - April 30: "A power forward with great offensive instincts, high-end skills, puck control and a fantastic shot."

Craig Button - TSN - April 28: "Blend of skill, sense, power and drive that reminds me in style of Marian Hossa. He's a factor in the game in all areas and will be in the NHL next season."

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - April 28: "OHL Rookie of the Year is quite an honour considering he played in just 44 regular season games, or roughly two-thirds of the season. He can impact the game in several areas. He has size and is incredibly dedicated to the craft."

Steve Kournianos - SportingNews/The Draft Analys - April 28: "Although it's highly unlikely Svechnikov leapfrogs Dahlin to be the first name called on draft day, his goal-scoring abilities are on par with the likes of Alex Ovechkin and Patrik Laine, only Svechnikov is more reliable defensively at his age."

Cam Robinson - DobberProspects - April 26: "Physically ready for the NHL, Svechnikov blends world-class finishing ability with hard-nosed and defensively responsible play. A goal scorer who can impact the game in all situations. Terrific blend of speed, power and precision

KJUN, are you sure you weren't reading Top's post about Necas? Svech is already acclimated to the North American style and smaller rink playing in the OHL. While on the lighter side, he isn't a lightweight. He is 2 inches and 30ish pounds lighter than Jordan, and only 2 pounds lighter than Williams and TVR. I get the concern with Necas, as his weight is listed between 167 and 178 lbs. Giving up 40-60 lbs on the NHL heavyweights and adapting to the changes may call for a brief stay in Charlotte, but it depends on the work he puts in.

Heard a prospect draft analyst say that Svech is best and that there is a chance Carolina goes Zadina since he had good chemistry with Necas. Zadina is going to be very good, but just say no to that idea.

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

Heard a prospect draft analyst say that Svech is best and that there is a chance Carolina goes Zadina since he had good chemistry with Necas. Zadina is going to be very good, but just say no to that idea.

Yeah, and there's a chance we pass on Svech because he's Russian, and you know, that KHL thing.

Analysts need something to talk about.  Unless someone is reporting on inside information, I put about as much stock in analyst speculation as I do in our speculation on these forums.  Actually, probably less, because we're actually very familiar with the Canes, which I've noticed not many "expert analysts" are.

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

top has posted a concern which I think should be considered. That concern being Svechnikov's apparent size.

3 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

KJUN, are you sure you weren't reading Top's post about Necas?

Thanks DDK. My concern is indeed over Necas, not Svech. Svech is big and seems to know how to use it. That said, the leap from Canadian Juniors is a much bigger one than from European Mens leagues--particularly for Dmen, but for forwards, too. Regardless, Necas at 168/6-0 is not (yet) an NHL-size center. He's fun-sized. Add to that the new rink and a schedule 2x longer than he's played up 'til now, and there's a good chance jumping him straight to the mothership could become cruel and unusual punishment. 

Yes, you are all correct, and my faux pas. Writing up too many church minutes at the time, I was both cross eyed, as well as not thinking straight. I just don't see the KHL phobia with Svech as he has played in Canadian league, unlike some who come straight to NHL from their homeland. And, haven't I seen that he's following the Canes on some type of media? I believe he's a solid stay here.

Edited by KJUNKANE

3 hours ago, remkin said:

A mock draft had Zadina going to Canes. I know does not mean much.

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yes, you are all correct, and my faux pas. Writing up too many church minutes at the time, I was both cross eyed, as well as not thinking straight. I just don't see the KHL phobia with Svech as he has played in Canadian league, unlike some who come straight to NHL from their homeland. And, haven't I seen that he's following the Canes on some type of media? I believe he's a solid stay here.

My reference to "that KHL thing" was sarcastic.  I probably should have thrown in some type of emoji to make that a bit more clear, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

Of course I have no inside info, but I don't think we will pick Zadina. There have been scouts and analysts who think that Zadina is pushing Svech for #2. It's a short jump from there for mock drafters to put the Canes on Zadina to go with Necas. I have not heard any sources who would know claiming to have heard we might take Zadina, and even if we did,there's no way to know if it's just subterfuge. This is why I'll probably be a bit anxious until one and two are drafted.

The scenario I would think had some small chance, would be if we looked at trading down to #3 and getting something back. But really what does Montreal have that's worth doing? We need a goalie but we're not taking one of theirs. Pacioretty? Would you take Paciorretty and Zadina for Svechnikov?

I still think we end up with Svechnikov, but I'll feel better when I hear it announced.

I'll add this. For what mock drafts are worth (not too much), a site that compiles them (the old DC Sports) lists 19 mock drafts since the lottery. 17/19 have us taking Svechnikov, though 2/19 have us on Zadina straight up (no trade).

And all 19 have Buffalo on Dahlin. There was one for Svech #1, but that was before the lottery.

Of course they could be wrong, but not likely and why I see trade down as the only issue. But a trade down from 2 to 3 is less valuable than a trade down from 1-2. So that makes it less likely unless we have Zadina nearly even with Svech. (I don't and hope we don't).

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

My reference to "that KHL thing" was sarcastic.  I probably should have thrown in some type of emoji to make that a bit more clear, lol.

? ?

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

31 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

? ?

lol, nah, I probably should have used my go to for "tongue-in-cheek":  :P    Or I could have gone with the obvious: :sarcasm:

I don't know much about the draft procedure. Question: Whatever team picks a player, that player HAS to go to that team? He doesn't have the option of saying No?

22 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

I don't know much about the draft procedure. Question: Whatever team picks a player, that player HAS to go to that team? He doesn't have the option of saying No?

In NHL yes, he could sign only with the team. But he might go to Europe or KHL. But nobody in KHL will throw truck load of money into Svech now to make him sigh there