The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

1 hour ago, hockeybaby said:

Does the coach have any input in who we should pick?, or all up to the GM?

This is the $64,000 question. The answer is we seldom know, but I think most on this board would agree that based on what has been reported about RF's management style and due to the (crappy) position we have typically had in the draft, BP was probably minimally consulted, because he wasn't gonna see the draftee on the NHL bench anytime soon.

This year we've got the #2 pick overall. A totally unexpected development. A Golden Ticket. Manna from heaven. Not only that, the likely pick is an RW, a glaring need in this org for a very long time. If we don't screw it up, we can suddenly have two very young RWs (Svech and Zykov) with off-the-charts skills. I think we can all rest easy, based on what we know about him, that Roderic Jean Brind'Amour will be making his desires quite well known--whether anybody asks for them or not.

Edited by top-shelf-1
clarity

Did a search on the Hurricanes and a recent twitter question showed up from @NHLCanes asking “Who would you take at #2: Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, or someone else?”

Judging by the responses if we draft anyone but Svechnikov there will be riots in Raleigh.

I don’t even know what Twitter is but it’s good to see that the fans are making their feelings known. I would check it out just for the responses, some are pretty damn funny.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 9:26 AM, Kyrule said:

Did a search on the Hurricanes and a recent twitter question showed up from @NHLCanes asking “Who would you take at #2: Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, or someone else?”

Judging by the responses if we draft anyone but Svechnikov there will be riots in Raleigh.

I don’t even know what Twitter is but it’s good to see that the fans are making their feelings known. I would check it out just for the responses, some are pretty damn funny.

On 5/19/2018 at 4:53 PM, coastal_caniac said:

Much the same as in Buffalo I would think, if they don't draft Dahlin.

If Buffalo switches and takes Svechnikov, then i would take Tkachuk.

31 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

Dahlin is widely considered a generational defensive prospect.  Even if we didn't want to keep him, I'd bet we could flip him to probably any team in the league for a better return than Tkachuk.  If Buffalo takes Svech, it's almost like we hit the lottery a 2nd time.

• Like 1

If Buffalo takes Svech:

take 10 minutes and ask a stupid amount from Montreal or Ottawa to swap.

when they say no, I pick Dahlin.

then trade Hanifin and Faulk for something good.  Get a solid RHD to mentor Dahlin through and be a reliable linemate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Dahlin is widely considered a generational defensive prospect.  Even if we didn't want to keep him, I'd bet we could flip him to probably any team in the league for a better return than Tkachuk.  If Buffalo takes Svech, it's almost like we hit the lottery a 2nd time.

This.  Tkachuk would be great but someone out there would give 3 of him for a Dahlin.  If Buffalo takes Svech, take Dahlin and run.  Fast.

• Like 4

From what I read their are two fan bases that would skin their GM's alive if they don't make the right choice. Buffalo and us. I've shared the concern and with the way our front office is putting stuff out there, I get it, but I do think that Dahlin then Svech is pretty close to a lock unless someone offers a load of overpay. That's where I get a bit nervous. What would the committee think is overpayment? What would be worth being moved off a franchise player? To me almost nothing. If we did move down, I like Zadina, but it would have to be a massive overpay.

I agree if Buffalo goes Svech then run up there and take Dahlin. But my fear is that if that happened we'd try to get fancy and trade Dahlin for some package of guys. Sure that could work out, but I favor taking the EPA. (Elite player available), since it is so rare to get that chance. You can always trade later.

well that stinks.  I understand though.  We have a bunch of young centers that he would have get past to beat.  Still would have liked to see him try with a season in Charlotte.

• Like 1

i thought Elynuik had some upside. Big and had some speed. I guess he just didn't progress. Only so many contracts and in a way it is a sign of how much deeper our prospects are now.

25 minutes ago, remkin said:

i thought Elynuik had some upside. Big and had some speed. I guess he just didn't progress. Only so many contracts and in a way it is a sign of how much deeper our prospects are now.

Sounds like you're assuming the Canes won't offer a contract, but my sense was that it was Elynuik that might pass on the deal in order to reenter the draft?   

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Sounds like you're assuming the Canes won't offer a contract, but my sense was that it was Elynuik that might pass on the deal in order to reenter the draft?   

Ah, yes, if it's his idea that would change things.

This isn't completely a case of the "tail wagging the dog", but it is a positive sign that even though GMRF didn't pull the trigger most of us thought was needed to shoot the squad into the playoffs, he did fill up the holster belt with plenty of ammo for our new GMByCommittee to hopefully put a little more powder in the rounds and get some needed results.  (I'm not a big fan of old Westerns, but it's the best analogy I could muster!)  No ferry rides to Remkin's island yet, but I am guardedly optimistic about the team's future.  Short and long term.

• Like 2

yeah  pepcane, Elynuik might have looked at all the prospects ahead of him and said, "woah, I'd be better off trying my luck somewhere else".

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

yeah  pepcane, Elynuik might have looked at all the prospects ahead of him and said, "woah, I'd be better off trying my luck somewhere else".

That’s the impression I got.  Usually guys reeenter the draft when they feel like they don’t have a shot playing with the team that drafted them.  We have too many of the Elynuik type.  I wish him well.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:27 PM, playruffcaniac said:

On 5/21/2018 at 8:08 PM, realmdrakkar said:

This.  Tkachuk would be great but someone out there would give 3 of him for a Dahlin.  If Buffalo takes Svech, take Dahlin and run.  Fast.

I see Waddell said he would take a forward at #2 pick. I wonder who that would be or if he would change his mind and take Dahlin. 

There's only one way to play this draft IMO. Not even close.

1. If Buffalo stuns the hockey world and takes anyone other than Dahlin, we take Dahlin.

2. If Buffalo is not too tricky for it's own good and takes Dahlin, we take Svechnikov.

Our part of the first round is over. 

I get that people like the rough edge of Tkachuk, and a few mock drafters are trying to make a theme out of the Necas/Zadina. There is one potential superstar elite offensive player in this draft. He also has size and plays on the defensive side of the puck and is eminently NHL ready: Andrei Svechnikov. 

Tkachuk will be a good player. Some mocks and rankings have him as low as #6 though.  

Here's how the Sporting News Mock Draft sums up our pick: (even after admitting there is only one obvious choice, they feel compelled to put that "maybe" tag on us taking Zadina. Annoying to me, but whatever).

2. Carolina Hurricanes: Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie (OHL)

Even a team without a coach and a GM can make this call, as Svechnikov is a menacing power winger with speed and elite puck skills similar to Ilya Kovalchuk. There’s a slight chance the Canes take Czech sniper Filip Zadina, who for years was a linemate of 2017 first rounder Martin Necas. Svechnikov, however, is both bigger and quicker, plus he’s spent the last three years adjusting to North American hockey

Welcome to the Carolina Hurricanes Andrei Svechnikov. 

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

There's only one way to play this draft IMO. Not even close.

1. If Buffalo stuns the hockey world and takes anyone other than Dahlin, we take Dahlin.

2. If Buffalo is not too tricky for it's own good and takes Dahlin, we take Svechnikov.

Our part of the first round is over. 

I get that people like the rough edge of Tkachuk, and a few mock drafters are trying to make a theme out of the Necas/Zadina. There is one potential superstar elite offensive player in this draft. He also has size and plays on the defensive side of the puck and is eminently NHL ready: Andrei Svechnikov. 

Tkachuk will be a good player. Some mocks and rankings have him as low as #6 though.  

Here's how the Sporting News Mock Draft sums up our pick: (even after admitting there is only one obvious choice, they feel compelled to put that "maybe" tag on us taking Zadina. Annoying to me, but whatever).

2. Carolina Hurricanes: Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie (OHL)

Even a team without a coach and a GM can make this call, as Svechnikov is a menacing power winger with speed and elite puck skills similar to Ilya Kovalchuk. There’s a slight chance the Canes take Czech sniper Filip Zadina, who for years was a linemate of 2017 first rounder Martin Necas. Svechnikov, however, is both bigger and quicker, plus he’s spent the last three years adjusting to North American hockey

Welcome to the Carolina Hurricanes Andrei Svechnikov. 

If Buffalo takes Dahlin, then yes i would take Svechnikov, but the canes need to get bigger and more physical. Hopefully in a trade or free agency.

8 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

If Buffalo takes Dahlin, then yes i would take Svechnikov, but the canes need to get bigger and more physical. Hopefully in a trade or free agency.

I do agree. It's just figuring out how to do it. IMO being physical is important but having super skill is more important. Yes, Vegas seems to be challenging that somewhat this year, but over time, it's been true. Also, I want to go watch superhuman plays. Also, while Svech is not going to go head hunting, he's a pretty big guy who can be physical too. I'd be more worried if we were looking at a Skinner type, with skill but no physical. 

But I do think through trades or UFA we can bring some more grit and physicality. 

I'd also point out that Zykov is pretty big and Foegele is a gritty guy with skill and we added Martianook and McGinn hits pretty hard. If we do end up trading Skinner and Faulk and get more physical guys there, it would help. 

The trick to me is always not downshifting talent just to get physical guys, and finding guys who do both is tricky. (BTW Tkachuk does to both and I get that, but Svech is game breaking. If we were picking #4 I'd take Tkachuk in a heartbeat).

it's been written in stone that svechnikov is coming to the carolinas  ,   i dont like the idea however of trading skinner because that man  has most shots on net than any of the canes , you need that in order to create scoring depth  because rebounds are  still a thing  that goalies cant stop  entirely yet   and losing that  from the canes would do more harm to the team than  what ever reason someone has against skinner  .   as for faulk  i like him but id really wish he play his body more  , get aggressive out there on the ice and lay down some nasty checks like scott stevens would do , but not with the intent to end peoples careers mind you .   i want to see a different side of faulk  but i dont think it's in his nature to play that way ,  hanifin  can get away with that since he holds the blue line so well with passes and his ability with the puck is mind boggling good .    the only downside with hanifin is his defensive side to his game , i dont know if it will ever get corrected  since he is an offensive defenseman ,    what im saying is  if there is away to still pick up someone at goalie in free agency  then  do it , but not at the cost of someone who we cant replace  or by giving up more than what we have ,  at the end of the day with trades  the team who gets the better player wins in the trade  , it is hardly never the other way around ,  remember our trade to new york of eric staal ? see how that turned out for  us ?

Edited by Canesfanforever

47 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

remember our trade to new york of eric staal ? see how that turned out for  us ?

You mean getting something in return for a player that was about to go UFA, particularly with part of that something being a draft pick that we flipped for Teravainen?  Yep, i quite liked how that turned out for us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

at the end of the day with trades  the team who gets the better player wins in the trade  , it is hardly never the other way around ,  remember our trade to new york of eric staal ? see how that turned out for  us ?

It turned out great, actually. We got Aleksi Saarela, and unloaded a guy who coasted for the last five years of his ridiculously overpriced contract and couldn't lead a blind man across the street, let alone a hockey team.

Edited by top-shelf-1

3 hours ago, remkin said:

IMO being physical is important but having super skill is more important. Yes, Vegas seems to be challenging that somewhat this year, but over time, it's been true

Rem, I think Vegas is proving the "Brind'Amour principal". Skill is important, but drive and work ethic is more important.

Can I copyright that?