The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It turned out great, actually. We got Aleksi Saarela, and unloaded a guy who coasted for the last five years of his ridiculously overpriced contract and couldn't lead a blind man across the street, let alone a hockey team.

eric staal had 82 games  , 42 goals  , 34 assist  ,  with 51 % face off wins  and 241 shots ,  and got his new team the wild into the playoffs this year .    what has saarela done for us lately  ???? oh  thats right ! , nothing for the hurricanes yet ,   also for realmdrakkar  in regards   with   Teravainen  , his stats with us this year   were  , 82 games ,   23 goals ,  41 assist  ,  12.4 face off win percentage ,  with only  185 shots ,    

tell me how either of those players out performed eric staal this year ? please  because i need to know what you guys must know since that trade  certainly did wonders for the canes that im not clued in on  about .     like i said the best player in a trade  is the  team that  wins the trade  ,  as to why eric staal didnt stay with the rangers i will never know  but  i miss him being a cane  ,  he was a better captain than  option  b  of the co captains  of faulk and j.staal  in my opinion .

Edited by Canesfanforever

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

eric staal had 82 games  , 42 goals  , 34 assist  ,  with 51 % face off wins  and 241 shots ,  and got his new team the wild into the playoffs this year .    what has saarela done for us lately  ???? oh  thats right ! , nothing for the hurricanes yet ,   also for realmdrakkar  in regards   with   Teravainen  , his stats with us this year   were  , 82 games ,   23 goals ,  41 assist  ,  12.4 face off win percentage ,  with only  185 shots ,    

tell me how either of those players out performed eric staal this year ? please  because i need to know what you guys must know since that trade  certainly did wonders for the canes that im not clued in on  about .     like i said the best player in a trade  is the  team that  wins in the trade  ,  as to why eric staal didnt stay with the rangers i will never know  but  i miss him being a cane  ,  he was a better captain than  option  b  of the co captains  of faulk and j.staal  in my opinion .

Cff, trust me please, you do not want to open this can of worms. The enigma of Eric Staal has been hashed out forever on this site, and truly you would have to have been in attendance from the getgo to appreciate how uninspired and lackadaisical his play had gotten FOR THE CANES. The debate on here always gets back to comparing his pre and post trade enthusiasm. For most of us, me included, I am just glad he rejuvenated his career, but do not for a second think he would have done so in a Canes jersey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Cff, trust me please, you do not want to open this can of worms. The enigma of Eric Staal has been hashed out forever on this site, and truly you would have to have been in attendance from the getgo to appreciate how uninspired and lackadaisical his play had gotten FOR THE CANES. The debate on here always gets back to comparing his pre and post trade enthusiasm. For most of us, me included, I am just glad he rejuvenated his career, but do not for a second think he would have done so in a Canes jersey.

you dont know that ,  that statement seems from a place more of bitterness than from a place of  insight . 

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

you dont know that ,  that statement seems from a place more of bitterness than from a place of  insight . 

Think what you like Canesfanforever, I do not have any "bitterness" on the matter. Just being factual, but if you are so immature as to not want to accept, than so be it. I'll not discuss any further.

2 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

Rem, I think Vegas is proving the "Brind'Amour principal". Skill is important, but drive and work ethic is more important.

Can I copyright that?

They are showing that it can be done, but to the extent they are doing it is, at least to this point the exception to the rule. Plus they did have a guy put up 40 goals and they have more talent than at first glance, and they have a goalie playing out of his mind. But it does also show what a team can do with an aggressive system and all guys buying in.

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

tell me how either of those players out performed eric staal this year ? please  because i need to know what you guys must know since that trade  certainly did wonders for the canes that im not clued in on  about .     like i said the best player in a trade  is the  team that  wins the trade  ,  as to why eric staal didnt stay with the rangers i will never know  but  i miss him being a cane  ,  he was a better captain than  option  b  of the co captains  of faulk and j.staal  in my opinion .

None of them outperformed Eric Staal this year and i don't think anyone implied they did.  Fact of the matter is Staal was at the end of his contract, so the Canes traded 19 games' worth of Staal for a prospect, a pick, and another pick that turned into Teravainen, who has scored 106 points over 2 seasons, which is more than Staal would have scored in those last 19 games.  From that perspective, the Canes got way more than they lost.  They easily could have re-signed Staal after that season.  They didn't, but that's irrelevant - they traded away the 19 games Staal had left on his contract.  I'd say they did quite well getting as much in return for those games as they did.  And offhand i'd say the team that got the best player in the trade was the biggest loser of all, because they gave up so much for a guy had 6 points with them and then bolted.

• Like 1

Rem, I wasn't trying to imply Vegas didn't have skill. I think they have skill, but probably not a lot of superstar skill. The fact that they are translating the drive of being labeled as "not good enough" by their old teams into a work ethic and passion to carry them to the finals gives me much hope for the Canes to do the same next year. If Rod can get everyone to buy in and refuse to be outworked then we might be ok..

49 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Rem, I wasn't trying to imply Vegas didn't have skill. I think they have skill, but probably not a lot of superstar skill. The fact that they are translating the drive of being labeled as "not good enough" by their old teams into a work ethic and passion to carry them to the finals gives me much hope for the Canes to do the same next year. If Rod can get everyone to buy in and refuse to be outworked then we might be ok..

Can't argue with that. I'm all for it. It will be interesting to see how much difference being head coach makes.

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Sorry, but I'm going to be the old dude here.  Sentences start with capital letters.  Names start with capital letters.  I understand this is a "generational" thing, but it makes your posts harder to read without proper use of capitalization.  It's also a good habit to get in for possible work correspondence in the future.  

IMG_0351.JPG.d7a1322339191abe797c20f0402da3ca.JPG

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Sorry, but I'm going to be the old dude here.  Sentences start with capital letters.  Names start with capital letters.  I understand this is a "generational" thing, but it makes your posts harder to read without proper use of capitalization.  It's also a good habit to get in for possible work correspondence in the future.  

IMG_0351.JPG.d7a1322339191abe797c20f0402da3ca.JPG

this is a forum , not a readers digest .  and i will type however i may please .  or better yet ignore my post  next time  ,,,,,,,,  okay buddy ?

35 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

You're the hero Gotham needs.

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Sorry to seem like I'm piling on, Cff, but while you're correct that Kjun can't know if E. Staal would have continued to play poorly had the Hurricanes re-signed him or not traded him, neither can you know that he would have played better.

It's hard for me to understand how anyone could be bitter about the whole E. Staal deal anyway. He obviously wasn't producing the way he did when he first came into the league for whatever reason or reasons (huge long-term contract, the pressure of being given the C and anointed "face of the franchise", injury, lack of skilled linemates, whatever), so management made a move. We don't know what went on between the two parties in the run-up to the trade, either, so we don't know if E's agent wanted more money than the team thought he was worth, if he felt stale and needed a change of scenery, or what.

17 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Sorry to seem like I'm piling on, Cff, but while you're correct that Kjun can't know if E. Staal would have continued to play poorly had the Hurricanes re-signed him or not traded him, neither can you know that he would have played better.

It's hard for me to understand how anyone could be bitter about the whole E. Staal deal anyway. He obviously wasn't producing the way he did when he first came into the league for whatever reason or reasons (huge long-term contract, the pressure of being given the C and anointed "face of the franchise", injury, lack of skilled linemates, whatever), so management made a move. We don't know what went on between the two parties in the run-up to the trade, either, so we don't know if E's agent wanted more money than the team thought he was worth, if he felt stale and needed a change of scenery, or what.

I understand that there are variables for any reason coming off a contract year and hoping for a return of some value if you think that said player would not be willing to be reasonable in contract negotiations .  That is completely understandable ,   however stats do not lie , and a players points per game can change at any given  moment notice with any player really ,  William Karlsson is a perfect example of just that or steven stamkos .   but the hurricanes  in fact lost out on a great player that  helped this team over the years  and for all the hate eric did  get from fans , it  did not come from a place of understanding ,  it more or so came from a place of ignorance  and in the end , that is what is truly  sad .   

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

this is a forum , not a readers digest .  and i will type however i may please .  or better yet ignore my post  next time  ,,,,,,,,  okay buddy ?

Whatever...buddy

”Would you like fries with that?”

• Like 2

Geez. I thought the unending debates about Eric Staal ended here 2 years ago. The now departed Ron Francis traded a guy who had something like 13 goals and 37 points (I’m too lazy to look it up) in his contract year when he was being paid $8 million plus. When he played well, he was arguably the most offensively gifted player to ever play for the Canes. I met him a couple times at team/fan functions, and he could not have been more gracious. So he is near the top of my list of favorite Cane players. But for whatever reason, he wasn’t getting it done in 2016. It’s hard to argue that it was a mistake to let him move on. I’m happy for him that he has revived his career. I wish it could have been here, but I wish he had scored 30 goals and 60-70 points in 2016 and made a case that he wanted/needed to stay.

Now can we move on.

• Like 1

I would imagine that Francis would have signed EStaal to the contract Minny signed him to.  I'm also confident in thinking that EStaal was asking for EStaal money like he had been getting.  He was not playing up to that level, and went to NYR and did the same thing.  Good on him that he turned it around.  

He's gone.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I would imagine that Francis would have signed EStaal to the contract Minny signed him to.  I'm also confident in thinking that EStaal was asking for EStaal money like he had been getting.  He was not playing up to that level, and went to NYR and did the same thing.  Good on him that he turned it around.  

He's gone.

This.  Pretty sure that RF traded Staal after failing to reach an agreement on a contract extension.  I'd bet fat stacks (if I had them) that the Canes offer, while significantly lower than what Staal was making at the time, was more than what he ended up signing for in Minny.   

• Like 1

i just got done watching an interview at the combine for Svechnikov  , and  it seems like he is trying so hard to learn English ,  he  understands  what is being said to him  but  he then goes and talks in his native tongue  when replying back to reporters ,  i  did once see him on youtube  being interviewed   when he was with his ushl  team  and he did speak  broken English   but  the answers were very short ,   but he did show he can comprehend  what is somewhat  being said to him .   i hope for his case  with the hurricanes that they do have a translator for him and that he eventually  can answer questions and  speak english  better over time .    i know it took ovi years to get good at that and   now when you see him in interviews  you would of never thought he had trouble learning  a language .   this to me  shows that Svechnikov  is really passionate and wants more than anything to be successful in the nhl  and  in north america  and not have to  go back to russia to the khl  any time soon .     his 5 questions he had also lead me to believe that he is a sponge and wants to soak up as much knowledge of the game as possible to get better  as a player  .  so  it looks like even if  he gets put in with the checkers  he would do everything to improve more  of his game .  and one question he had in regards to the hurricanes drafting him he said   " that it is an honor for him to just be drafted to any team because it was his dream to play in the nhl  " .  we are soooo going to draft this kid .   there is no question about it now . 

14 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I ignored it the minute you started praising Eric Staal. Buddy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

This.  Pretty sure that RF traded Staal after failing to reach an agreement on a contract extension.  I'd bet fat stacks (if I had them) that the Canes offer, while significantly lower than what Staal was making at the time, was more than what he ended up signing for in Minny.   

Agree. I'm pretty sure Francis said that he made him an offer, and I agree it is highly likely it was more than he ended up with. He not only slid for three straight years here, but he had also just laid an egg in his rental stint with the Rangers. He had to take a huge pay cut in Minnesota. Who knows, having the pressure off and something to prove at the same time was probably just what he needed. Rolling him out again as Captain here would have been a huge risk. It's really too bad the way it played out, but the Canes and E Staal really needed to move on from each other.

13 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

here is a link to Svechnikov  being interviewed  

I'd never learn English if I was 18 and she was my interpreter 

• Like 3